PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing The Milly Lock hath return [Jalen Mills]

What was his cap hit for 2023 prior to release? And what was the dead money left after cutting him?

What was his cap hit for 2023 prior to release? And what was the dead money left after cutting him?
Someone can check me on this but I believe his previous deal was all salary/incentives so there was no dead cap when he was cut.

Seems like they brought him back at a cheaper price.

Not a big fan of Mills, but it gives them more depth and experience at a better price.

Someone can check me on this but I believe his previous deal was all salary/incentives so there was no dead cap when he was cut.

Seems like they brought him back at a cheaper price.

Spotrac (which I know isn't Miguel's favorite) lists a $1.25m dead money hit for this year, on an original deal of 4/24. Not sure what the cap hits looked like pre release, but it feels like carrying a 1.25 dead hit plus now a potential 6.1 might be a wash for 2023, but shaves 2024 off the books. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but that's what I've found so far.

This Is Fine Woody Harrelson GIF by NEON

I am good with this.

This is very surprising! I was concerned when they released him since he seemed like a good candidate to move to safety and fill the hole at FS with McCourty gone. Very interesting that they very specifically state he is coming back to play safety. The deal says "up to $6.1M" meaning incentives, so base value is probably a good bit less. If I had to guess, I bet they put a void year on it to push most of the cost of the deal into 2024 and have his 2023 cap hit be extremely small.

Love it, in no small part because it tells me at the very least the defensive players are happy with the team and coaching. If it was all as negative as some narratives out there he'd have been glad to get released, packed his bags and never come back.

Might just be as simple as he was being paid like a CB and they now wanted to pay him as a FS. Basically a roundabout way to restructure/paycut.

So is Taylor Rapp out of the picture now ?.......might be interesting to see who he signs for and for how much.

Spotrac (which I know isn't Miguel's favorite) lists a $1.25m dead money hit for this year, on an original deal of 4/24. Not sure what the cap hits looked like pre release, but it feels like carrying a 1.25 dead hit plus now a potential 6.1 might be a wash for 2023, but shaves 2024 off the books. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but that's what I've found so far.
i thought i read something like 6 million savings after his release, i understood it if it was related to 2023

Glad to have him back when on the field he's played well for us. Now he needs to be on the field in December and January.

Could still use another corner but the DB group seems pretty deep and solid to me. Strength of the team maybe. I'd go draft for that corner and let Jack Marcus and rookie battle it out with Jonathan Jones slitting in where needed either outside or slot obviously still starting either way.

Overthecap shows the same $1.25m dead cap hit for his release. His original cap hit prior to release was $6.13m. We’ll need to know the specifics of the deal about what’s likely to be earned incentives, but I would guess you’re right and that the 2023 cap hit will likely be a wash. And to your point, it does get 2024 off the books, not that we really needed the cap space.

Might just be as simple as he was being paid like a CB and they now wanted to pay him as a FS. Basically a roundabout way to restructure/paycut.
And by roundabout, I’m guessing the Patriots told him they wanted to restructure due to his being a safety, he said no - that he could earn as much as a safety in the open market. So the Pats cut him and told him to see what he could get in the market. It’s been 5 days and he got no bites (at least at the price he wanted), so he relented. Just my guess.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back