PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Josh Gordon Thread: Pats Officially Acquire Gordon for Fifth-Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think (and hope) BB would have plan for that. Moss worked out.
Hayneworth(less), not so much.

It's just the thought of another Moss type player gives me goose bumps.

I would love to have it work out. Destroy the league.
How do you have a plan for that?

If, and that’s a big IF , Gordon works out, it means they add Edelman and Gordon to the receiving corps.

I’m the only person who has figured this out!

Hot Take

I had a huge alcoholism problem in my early 20s. I was able to hide 99% of it from everyone who knew me well, especially my family. Woke up in jail, hospitalized, you name it. I had to face the shame from myself but never had the black sheep label because I kept it under wraps so well. I can’t imagine how much harder it would have been with the “**** up” label attached, to quit and turn things right side up.

Any negative dip in demeanor and it can pull you in so easily. I can only imagine how being a celeb must compound the road to recovery and acceptance of ones self, with such critical judgement from those who only know a singular aspect of ones existence. I suspect it can really lower ones self worth, perpetuating the feedback cycle into addiction of substance for relief.

For some afflicted it actually takes everything, bit by bit, until it kills the addict. But we’re from New England, addiction is all around us, so none of this should be new information.

I hope the best for Josh, in football and in life. I’m pulling for him hard. If there is a place he can really focus on something positive and immerse in something much larger than himself, it’s with New England football.

Gateway drug? yeah...the real gateway drug is AIR. Don't try to go without it.

the rest of these equivocations are just passive aggressive demonstrations of one's societal precepts. Many (most)people have addictive predilections of some sort. It's being addicted to positive stimuli that keeps one from all the negative stimuli in our culture..i.e. alcohol, cigarettes, legal and illegal drugs. Life feels best when endorphins are released. Sounds corny but put down the Bud Light and go for a hike or a run or exercise that raises the blood pressure, your body will like you for it and your brain will eventually start to crave it too.

Well, sure, but that's kind of cheating. "Put down the Bud Light" is always good advice, because Bud Light sucks.

That is a define possibility...but it is unlikely that he would "go off the reservation" right before a play-off game. It is more likely he fails a drug test and is suspended a few days before a play-off game.
Failing a drug test is part of going of the reservation. Deciding he needs to be away from football because he has something going on his life is another.

My point is more with the 1950s Reefer Madness you seem to be peddling

Then your point is misguided. If the second post did not clarify what I meant by overdose, let me be clear: I know that it is impossible to overdose on weed. In the sense that people generally think about when "overdose" is mentioned- which is the fatal variety. Cocaine, which he has used, and whatever other drugs he has or may use in the future, are another story altogether. Given what happened with Len Bias and (posibly) Reggie Lewis, most Pats fans should be aware of the dangers of coke use.

I'm not railing against weed. I could not care less about it. My post was meant to illustrate that Gordon is a junkie, an active junkie from the sounds of it. Odds of this working out, if that's the case, are close to zero.

Failing a drug test is part of going of the reservation. Deciding he needs to be away from football because he has something going on his life is another.
Roll with it.

I had a huge alcoholism problem in my early 20s. I was able to hide 99% of it from everyone who knew me well, especially my family. Woke up in jail, hospitalized, you name it. I had to face the shame from myself but never had the black sheep label because I kept it under wraps so well. I can’t imagine how much harder it would have been with the “**** up” label attached, to quit and turn things right side up.

Any negative dip in demeanor and it can pull you in so easily. I can only imagine how being a celeb must compound the road to recovery and acceptance of ones self, with such critical judgement from those who only know a singular aspect of ones existence. I suspect it can really lower ones self worth, perpetuating the feedback cycle into addiction of substance for relief.

For some afflicted it actually takes everything, bit by bit, until it kills the addict. But we’re from New England, addiction is all around us, so none of this should be new information.

I hope the best for Josh, in football and in life. I’m pulling for him hard. If there is a place he can really focus on something positive and immerse in something much larger than himself, it’s with New England football.
Another incredibly brave post.

Bless you, my friend.

He’s almost at Moss level athleticism, which is exceptional, but reliability is a huge issue, as is his ability to take coaching. The upside, however, if they can get him on track, is a good as it gets. If Coleman is still on the team, which I don’t know because I haven’t had time to check, them they now have two elite receivers athletically, but neither can gain a coach’s trust, should be really interesting to watch his this unfold.
Coleman was cut to open a roster slot for Gordon. Don't know if he cleared waivers. Some of us hope he'll be back, or on PS, if he clears.

Was this confirmed somewhere or just speculation?
Speculation. Since Hoyer was his teammate I'm assuming the FO queried Hoyer for inside info. Jason McC too.

Its official.. I fear Lombardi is right about him, hasn't been able to get his life together so far, probably won't make it this time either. That said, i am supporting him from now on.

Holy sh*t what a talent. Behind Gronk probably most talented offensive player we have has since Moss.

IMHO one of the reasons that BB is the best in the business is that he understands probabilities and money better than other coaches and GMs.

I personally think that there is only about a 25% chance that Josh an get his act together to be a major factor with the Pats. But, for the extremely low cost, it is a smart throw of the dice. And, unlike other teams, it is very unlikely he will damage team chemistry, BB will ship him out in a microsecond if he acts up.

How do you have a plan for that?
If I knew that I'd be an NFL coach.:p

But, first you cross your fingers. Pay him a measly amount of money, try to help him fit in and play for a REAL team and coach.

Did I mention Cross your fingers.?

What's the worst that can happen?
Last nights execution isn't the answer.

BB is the king of taking undrafted and cast offs and making them productive.

Will this pan out.? I'm eager to find out. I like the risk, a lot

I could not love this any more than I do. The only thing I like more than a **** show is the Pats winning. So this is really a no-lose situation for me.

But in realistic terms, what should we expect? Can Brady and Gordon get on the same page by the end of the season? Can they play well enough for Gordon to re-sign here and Brady has his great WR for the last season or two of his career? Or will it all be a middling affair.

It’s really so exciting, right! Thank god that BB doesn’t care what anyone thinks of him other than history.

You seem to be complaining about the move.

We know the failure rate is above average.

My point is to go with it, support it, and let the chips fall where they may

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back