PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Josh Gordon Thread: Pats Officially Acquire Gordon for Fifth-Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coincidentally a member of my extended family just passed away at the age of 30; it was his second drug overdose in a three day period (two days before he was taken in an ambulance, got back home, and did it again one final time.). He had been a serious drug addict since he was a teenager and basically messed up his life over and over and over again. They tried too many rehab clinics to list, therapies, Methadone, live-in supervision, and in the end, he ultimately came to terms with the idea that he would always be an addict no matter what, after many tries at getting sober.

I won’t cast that same same shadow over Josh Gordon without knowing his situation or character. What I do know is that expectations, fame, success, or money are unlikely to deter someone who is deeply addicted to drugs to stop using them. Gordon has had a lot at stake for many years but has not been able to shake it. I hope that he figures out a way to stay sober, though being in the public spotlight and having expectations from millions of people may not be the best thing for him. Many people see addiction as a choice or something you can overcome if you are motivated or have something to live for. It’s a lot more powerful than that. I really hope, beyond just being a Patriots fan, that he is able to find the power within and that a change of environment and perhaps a new support system will help him not just for his football career but for the the rest of his life.

If he does relapse, I really hope the reaction isn’t along the lines of “How was this not the perfect situation for him? This was the opportunity of a lifetime!” There is already such a misundersanding about substance abuse out there, and these sentiments just make people more ashamed to seek help since they think they have more control over it than they actually do.
Sorry for your loss dude. It really hurts especially when someone young passes away.

Me too. Here, anything can happen and nothing is beyond the pale. No outrage is too great. Your lucky they didn’t convince you of lizard aliens ruling the world from Antarctica.

Wait! They don't??!!

Wait, are you saying that you were totally cool with the hairy nipples? There’s actually something very admirable in that.

I wouldn't go nominating me for any humanitarian awards. A little haireola wasn't going to get in the way of getting laid. And she didn't seem too offended when I recommended tweezers later on.

I say “I think” and you ask for a burden of proof.

You said "you think, AND based on..."

Guess which part I am asking you to back up?

I do that there is a video of one teammate who Taylor Gabriel who stayed in contact with Gordon through 70 days of rehab so that seems to show your guarantee that there was no one in the Browns who would be there for Gordon as slater says he would like to do is Horseshlt.

No, it's not "horseshlt," there's a high turnover rate in Cleveland. Players are always coming and going. There's literally been a different quarterback for every year Gordon has been there, 4 head coaches, and on and on. That's exactly the instability that Gordon experienced in his youth and talked about in the GQ magazine article.

If you want to talk about "horseshlt," let's talk about Taylor Gabriel. He hasn't played for the Browns since 2015. Three years ago.

Why not just be a man and admit you have no clue and you were wrong to GUARANTEE something you had absolutely zero knowledge about?

I repeat my guarantee, and it's based on common sense: nobody has been in Cleveland long enough to provide Gordon with the stable and consistent support he would need to remain clean.

The truth hurts.
Yeah, my roommate treats it like a numbers game too and finds success (there's always a new girl around the house it seems). Thing is, he's also 6 feet tall with social skills, whereas I'm 5'6 and have thousands of posts on Patsfans, so I think there are also confounding variables at play.

Good god, man. There are millions of girls with an infinite variety tastes, desires, and preferences. If there is one thing I've learned about girls, it's never, never ever to assume there's a standard, or that there's anything that they have, or like in that's even remotely in common across the specie. You're absolutely right when you say there are confounding variables at play, an infinite number of variables that neither you or I will ever grasp, in a thousand years. The day I stopped having trouble with girls was the day I stopped trying to understand them.

It's ridiculous to consider 6'+ guys with social skills as some sort of baseline. You'd be surprised to know how many girls like nerds, short guys, or are hardcore Pats fans.

Dude, just ask. Just ask. I know it's beyond cliche to say you can't let rejection stop you, but rejection is simply the product of incompatibility, not a reflection of who you are.

I’m listening...

Ooooh... Clever subliminal message.. locker location..

I hope jg issues are not related to privacy..o_O I guess having Patriots "watching you" is much better than goodell and co.

Coincidentally a member of my extended family just passed away at the age of 30; it was his second drug overdose in a three day period (two days before he was taken in an ambulance, got back home, and did it again one final time.). He had been a serious drug addict since he was a teenager and basically messed up his life over and over and over again. They tried too many rehab clinics to list, therapies, Methadone, live-in supervision, and in the end, he ultimately came to terms with the idea that he would always be an addict no matter what, after many tries at getting sober.

I won’t cast that same same shadow over Josh Gordon without knowing his situation or character. What I do know is that expectations, fame, success, or money are unlikely to deter someone who is deeply addicted to drugs to stop using them. Gordon has had a lot at stake for many years but has not been able to shake it. I hope that he figures out a way to stay sober, though being in the public spotlight and having expectations from millions of people may not be the best thing for him. Many people see addiction as a choice or something you can overcome if you are motivated or have something to live for. It’s a lot more powerful than that. I really hope, beyond just being a Patriots fan, that he is able to find the power within and that a change of environment and perhaps a new support system will help him not just for his football career but for the the rest of his life.

If he does relapse, I really hope the reaction isn’t along the lines of “How was this not the perfect situation for him? This was the opportunity of a lifetime!” There is already such a misundersanding about substance abuse out there, and these sentiments just make people more ashamed to seek help since they think they have more control over it than they actually do.

My deepest condolences for your loss!!

We had a circle of about 13 friends that grew up together since we were 7-8. 10 of those friends have now passed due to overdoses of heroin. 1 of those is a addict who is in recovery and has been clean for about a year. He is 44 years old and has spent about 24 of those years in and out of jail. Every time he was released he would relapse. I don’t trust him to stay clean this time even though he just had twin girls and it seems hes happy and living life the right way.

My Nephew was murdered 4 years ago in a home invasion as he was selling and doing drugs. His father my older brother is also a drug addict.

I believe I could have easily gone down the same path as any of them and decided to say no when the time came. I saw it most of my life until I decided to just leave it all behind.

I don’t view smoking marijuana as a drug addiction.

IMO Being addicted to drugs is a sickness and a mental health issue.

All you need to know about Boston media today:

Yep... And just in case you missed it NESN showed pictures of the lockers 12 and 10 next to each other on morning show...

Hyped and I had the pleasure of trying to moderate NEM's outbursts over at KFFL. which was a thankless task.

Interesting side note - NEM had his own Patriots message board for a little while and his behavior was much different than when he was just a member of a forum.
I heard NEM was banned from his own board too.

Ooooh... Clever subliminal message.. locker location..

I hope jg issues are not related to privacy..o_O I guess having Patriots "watching you" is much better than goodell and co.

JG now standing for Josh Gordon instead of Jimmy Garoppolo is going to take a lot of getting used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST