PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jonathan Jones hit wasn't dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t believe that’s true since the 2018 rules change that broadened what’s considered a penalty.
What does the NFL's new helmet lowering rule mean?

"Lowering the head to initiate contact with the helmet is a foul." It is intended to remove unnecessary use of the helmet. The hits don't have to come to the head or neck but anywhere on the body. Players cannot use their helmets to "butt, spear or ram an opponent.""

Quantum, Allen is the one who lowered his helmet, not Jones. Jones also didn't LEAD with his helmet. So how does it apply?

It wasn’t dirty but the flag was reasonable

It was a dumb and dangerous play, but I don’t think there was any intention. So I don’t think Allen deserves to be fined or suspended for initiating that hit.

"Lowering the head to initiate contact with the helmet is a foul. It is intended to remove unnecessary use of the helmet. The hits don't have to come to the head or neck but anywhere on the body. Players cannot use their helmets to "butt, spear or ram an opponent."

That's what the expanded rule says.. Could you show me where it says anything about "intentions"?

"Lowering the head to initiate contact with the helmet is a foul. It is intended to remove unnecessary use of the helmet. The hits don't have to come to the head or neck but anywhere on the body. Players cannot use their helmets to "butt, spear or ram an opponent."

That's what the expanded rule says.. Could you show me where it says anything about "intentions"?

I was being facetious by saying that Allen is the one who should not be fined.

It is amazing CBS considers them the #2 team. (Eagle is fine, but Fouts is so horrible).

Why the hell isn’t Harlan/Gannon not the #2 team??

CBS doesn't even consider Harlan/Gannon #3. Gumble and Green are the #2. Absolutely head scratching that Eagle/Fouts aren't #4

But given that CBS is a single game regional week next week and there is no obvious "GAME OF THE WEEK" think there is a chance Pats game gets Harlan/Gannon next week

New England @ Washington
NY Jets @ Philadelphia
Baltimore @ Pittsburgh
Buffalo @ Tennessee
Jacksonville @ Carolina
Denver @ LA Chargers (LATE)

I'd guess Nantz/Romo does Ravens/Steelers, Bills/Titans or Jags/Panthers
Fouts/Eagle will get 1 of the 2 Nantz/Romo doesn't get and Gumble/Green will get the 1 remaining

Which i'd guess they put Harlan/Gannon on the undefeated Pats. Then again this CBS so I could see them putting Nantz/Romo on Ravens/Steelers, Gumble/Green on Bills/Titans, Eagle/Fouts on Pats/Redskins, Harlan/Gannon on Jags/Panthers

Plus, Allen initiated the hit. He leaned forward and put his head down. It’s how he rolls.

He lowered his head as Jones was trying to hit him with his shoulder. This was obvious as soon as they showed the first reply. Foutes was going off and I'm yelling. at the TV saying he 's 2250lbs and he lowered his head against an 180 lb d-back..

Clearly a helmet to helmet hit. Jones could have led with his shoulder. Allen initiated the contact which is why Jones was not ejected, but clear helmet to helmet contact against a QB - a rusher at the time of the hit, or not - will always be a penalty on the defender.

The refs got this one right.

???

The refs got it wrong. That's not really in doubt at this point, as the video is dispositive. What is in doubt is the ability of the league to fix this broken rule.

Belichick said Jones didn’t lead with his head, which turned after the impact, and had the right posture for the hit. He said the team will continue to coach players based on what they hear from Riveron and the league office.

“When there isn’t really much you can tell them to do differently, you don’t tell them anything,” Belichick said, via Phil Perry of NBCSportsBoston.com.

Bill Belichick: Nothing to tell Jonathan Jones to do differently

Bill Belichick asked what he’d tell Jonathan Jones after being penalized for his hit on Josh Allen. “When there isn’t really much you can tell them to do differently, you don’t tell them anything.” Belichick points to Jones’ posture, that he turned on contact. Thought it was OK.

That's Bill telling everyone that the officials blew the call.

"Lowering the head to initiate contact with the helmet is a foul." It is intended to remove unnecessary use of the helmet. The hits don't have to come to the head or neck but anywhere on the body. Players cannot use their helmets to "butt, spear or ram an opponent.""

Quantum, Allen is the one who lowered his helmet, not Jones. Jones also didn't LEAD with his helmet. So how does it apply?

It does not apply

This is the first time I got to see this. How on Earth does the crown of Josh Allen's helmet hitting the side of JJ's equal a dirty hit on JJ?
Yeah that's what I'm wondering. If anything, Allen is delivering a hit to Jones' head. Based on what I've seen so far Jones is the more vulnerable player, we're lucky Jones isn't in the protocol right now

I hope this grows legs this week and the media talks the Pat's up positively.
Or at least pokes some fun at Allen for managing to concuss himself

I agree. Allen should be fined for intentionally lowering his helmet into Jones

I wish this play had occurred at the goal line. This perfectly fine hit would have been praised for denying a td. This was not a cheap shot in any way and hitting him high was the only way to stop his forward progress. The qb saw him coming all the way and he is much bigger than Jones as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes