Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a MONSTER effort Sunday from James Harrison in what might well be the (fingers crossed) next-to-last game of his career. His presence setting the edge and getting after the passer in a rotational role has looked promising vs. the Jete and Titans. A shrewd pickup by BB.

James Harrison .png

Last edited:
Harrison allows the Patriots to play in a big nickel if they choose.

Patriots can stay in a 4-2-5 with Harrison on the edge ... if it holds the rushing then Bortles is way screwed.

Patriots can stay in a 4-2-5 with Harrison on the edge ... if it holds the rushing then Bortles is way screwed.

Yep. When that package can stop the run — at least relatively well — then this D is tough to sustain drives on.

Big nickel seems sensible against this opponent.
Harrison guy brown Flowers
Van Noy Roberts
Gilmore butler
Chung
McCourty Harmon
Against base

Wise butler m flowers Rowe in on passing downs.

Considering how badly the Steelers lbs were against the jags, it’s likely if Harrison were playing for his old team they might have actually won that game. He can still play .... well.

Considering how badly the Steelers lbs were against the jags, it’s likely if Harrison were playing for his old team they might have actually won that game. He can still play .... well.

Yes. Yes he can. And he's motivated, too, to prove the Steelers were wrong about him.

I thought Harrison does a great job of setting the edge.

With wilfork retired, Harrison has got to be the strongest player in the nfl.

The minute I heard the Steelers released him I was hoping the pats would get him. B.B. can make use of stuff that other teams can’t use

No on Roberts for me. I'll have M Flowers in

RW, I agree but, as other other posters have astutely pointed out, BB seems(?) to have confidence in Roberts. With the "Big Nickel" being, basically, the base D, BB/MP have unflinchingly been putting Roberts in at the starting BLB spot.
But is it confidence or is it simply BB had such little flexibility during the season due to injury?
Looking at the AFCDG stats -- a game with more LB flexibility than the last half of the season) -- BB used the KVN and Roberts LB tandem right out of the gate but almost exclusively(?) in the first half. In the second half Roberts played few snaps while the other 3 still saw high snap counts.
Defensive Snap Counts: Roberts 20, Harrison 30, Flowers 44, KVN 45

Obviously I made multiple assumptions and they could be incorrect. The score/game situation alone may be the reason for Roberts comparatively low snap counts (Roberts appears to have played little in the second half) and the sole cause of KVN, Flowers, Harrison combinations being the second half go to (also, the standard Big Nickel probably was not used nearly as much in the second half). But it will be interesting to see how the LB combinations play out in the Jags game. If the score is close (hopefully not) yet Roberts still is on the lower end of snap counts? It will suggest the prior lack of flexibility at LB was the reason for BB's staunch usage("confidence") of Roberts. But if it's a close game and we see Roberts snap counts double of the Titans game? Then no doubt Roberts is a BB guy (regardless of what we think :)).

There needs to be some realism thrown into this thread.. last week he played 30 of 67 D snaps.. Scheme??

Never imagined that Harrison would wind up here, but glad he did. He can be a factor especially against a big back like Fournette or containing Bortles, but we all need to temper our wild enthusiasm and get realistic about his impact on this game.

Would like to see him get in a nice lick on Bortles though.. may cause him to think about running in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back