PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The James Harrison factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is just psycho in the weightroom. Those hip thrusts with over 700 lbs. -- I've never seen anything like that. Look at how the hoody he's wearing is soaked through with sweat. What an animal!

There needs to be some realism thrown into this thread.. last week he played 30 of 67 D snaps.. Scheme??
They're rotating him in situationally. I think he's limited somewhat in pass coverage, but he reads keys well and hustles.

They're rotating him in situationally. I think he's limited somewhat in pass coverage, but he reads keys well and hustles.

That is my point can a situational player have that great an impact?? Why our enthusiasm needs to be tempered..

That is my point can a situational player have that great an impact?? Why our enthusiasm needs to be tempered..
Sure he can, if he's effective and makes plays while he's in there. The same is done with other players to maximize their strengths.

RW, I agree but, as other other posters have astutely pointed out, BB seems(?) to have confidence in Roberts. With the "Big Nickel" being, basically, the base D, BB/MP have unflinchingly been putting Roberts in at the starting BLB spot.
But is it confidence or is it simply BB had such little flexibility during the season due to injury?
Looking at the AFCDG stats -- a game with more LB flexibility than the last half of the season) -- BB used the KVN and Roberts LB tandem right out of the gate but almost exclusively(?) in the first half. In the second half Roberts played few snaps while the other 3 still saw high snap counts.
Defensive Snap Counts: Roberts 20, Harrison 30, Flowers 44, KVN 45

Obviously I made multiple assumptions and they could be incorrect. The score/game situation alone may be the reason for Roberts comparatively low snap counts (Roberts appears to have played little in the second half) and the sole cause of KVN, Flowers, Harrison combinations being the second half go to (also, the standard Big Nickel probably was not used nearly as much in the second half). But it will be interesting to see how the LB combinations play out in the Jags game. If the score is close (hopefully not) yet Roberts still is on the lower end of snap counts? It will suggest the prior lack of flexibility at LB was the reason for BB's staunch usage("confidence") of Roberts. But if it's a close game and we see Roberts snap counts double of the Titans game? Then no doubt Roberts is a BB guy (regardless of what we think :)).
Yea I know BB uses Roberts in the 4-2-5 alignment and I understand the logic behind it. That's not a question.

I think it is a case in which the cupboard is bare of an adequate replacement.

When he guesses right ok, but he struggles sometimes with gaps and angles.

This will be A MONSTER performence game from Harrison. Now that the Steelers are out of the club, he'll be playing with a HUGE F-U chip on his shoulder towards his previous team. A statement game from him, in which his performance on the field, when translated to words, is something akin to: "**** you Pittsburgh. You didn't let me play, thought I was washed out, and got rid of me? **** YOU! I'm playing in AFCCG, doing sack dances while you asshats are sitting at home with your thumbs up yours asses, wondering WTF just happened!" :mad:

Not sure he's any more "limited" than Nink was.

His impact is that his solid play allows the other guys to focus on their optimal roles and make plays.

Holy crap! Helps explain how Harrison is able to bring down a 250-lb running back by getting just one hand on the guy's shoulder.

Based on what I've seen from Harrison so far, I'd offer him a 1-year deal to come back next season.
It is absolutely worth exploring. 30 snaps a game seems like something he can handle.

My only question is if he's a longer term cultural fit but we have no evidence to say he would not be.

I also wonder if at the end of this year he might just decide to retire - especially if it ends with a ring.

The man has nothing to prove but it seems to me JH looks for things to prove he can do and that is what keeps him going.

Very interesting man he is.

It is absolutely worth exploring. 30 snaps a game seems like something he can handle.

My only question is if he's a longer term cultural fit but we have no evidence to say he would not be.

I also wonder if at the end of this year he might just decide to retire - especially if it ends with a ring.

The man has nothing to prove but it seems to me JH looks for things to prove he can do and that is what keeps him going.

Very interesting man he is.

At the very least, nobody's car will be stuck in the snow for very long if Harrison is nearby.

At the very least, nobody's car will be stuck in the snow for very long if Harrison is nearby.

He's the African American version of Mr Fantastic

If Pats win out and Harrison retires I hope he writes a book so as to get a current inside comparisons of both organizations.

Holy crap! Helps explain how Harrison is able to bring down a 250-lb running back by getting just one hand on the guy's shoulder.

Based on what I've seen from Harrison so far, I'd offer him a 1-year deal to come back next season.

He didn’t just one arm tackle a 250lbs bull of a RB, he also did it by mandhandling a 25olbs TE.

His strength is incredible. Had a hard time accepting for awhile him on the team cosindering all the sh!t he talked about us as a Steeler, but thankfully he’s making me eat my words. He’s made an impact.

he had an impact against the titans helping to set the edge and shut down the run....expect more of the same against the jaguars

There needs to be some realism thrown into this thread.. last week he played 30 of 67 D snaps.. Scheme??

Never imagined that Harrison would wind up here, but glad he did. He can be a factor especially against a big back like Fournette or containing Bortles, but we all need to temper our wild enthusiasm and get realistic about his impact on this game.

Would like to see him get in a nice lick on Bortles though.. may cause him to think about running in the future.

Tunescribe is right. I for one was a skeptic and I am happy I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News