PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The future of our D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I presume you mean Seymour's compensation is high rather than his salary. His salary is less than $1M. Al least 2/3 of his 2009 compensation is bonus money, so Seymour won't be cut. He might be traded, but he won't be cut. His cost is relatively small in 2009.

What I see on the various threads the last couple of weeks regarding Seymour is more about his salary than his play. (Not calling you out Kontradiction, you bring a lot of good points with your comments; it's directed more to some of the other forum members.) While his play in the losses hasn't been great, neither was that of many of his teammates. When he signed his last contract, it was valid based on his level of play at that time. He's signed through 2009, and his next contract will be much less, based on his level of play this year and the last couple of years. If his play I would think he'd be gone. Hopefully that alone is enough incentive for him to crank it up for the rest of the year. I don't care how much a player is making, I just want the players on the field to be the ones that give the Pats the best chance to win each week.

I am not sure why I am taking this thread seriously. However, the focus over the next two years will definitely be on re-building the defense. And this next off-season is critical. Understand that top veterans are extended a year early. In the draft, we will look for an offensive lineman as we always do; but the focus must be the defense.

I don't expect either Bruschi or Vrabel to hang it up after this year. There is no need. They can still be contributers. They are under contract. The issue is whether they start.

FREE AGENTS after this season
Wright
Alexander (RFA)
Woods (RFA)
Izzo
O'Neal
Lew Sanders
Harrison
James Sanders

FREE AGENTS after next season
Seymour
Bruschi
Green
Vrabel
Wilfork

I think Bruschi is just a fill in as a roster spot anymore - Its sad because at one time he was the best underated LB in the game but he has surely fallen on very hard times and is a virtual invisible player on the field

He has done nothing for his position after getting on a hot start in game 1 with 12 total tackles/assists

Bruschi should not be on this team by next season

I presume you mean Seymour's compensation is high rather than his salary. His salary is less than $1M. Al least 2/3 of his 2009 compensation is bonus money, so Seymour won't be cut. He might be traded, but he won't be cut. His cost is relatively small in 2009.

I would trade him for a 2nd rounder today.

Yes, you're right, good catch; I should have said compensation, not salary. Bottom line is that many of the forum members seem to be basing their complaints about Seymour more on how much his last contract was worth than what he is doing on the field, in my opinion. Thanks for clarifying about being cut versus being traded, I overlooked that.

I would trade him for a 2nd rounder today.

I would too. IMO Jarvis, when healthy, is a more than adequate replacement for Seymour. He's better in pass rush as well.

I am not sure why I am taking this thread seriously. However, the focus over the next two years will definitely be on re-building the defense. And this next off-season is critical. Understand that top veterans are extended a year early. In the draft, we will look for an offensive lineman as we always do; but the focus must be the defense.

I don't expect either Bruschi or Vrabel to hang it up after this year. There is no need. They can still be contributers. They are under contract. The issue is whether they start.

FREE AGENTS after this season
Wright
Alexander (RFA)
Woods (RFA)
Izzo
O'Neal
Lew Sanders
Harrison
James Sanders

FREE AGENTS after next season
Seymour
Bruschi
Green
Vrabel
Wilfork

Out of that list, who do we really need to worry about losing? There are 4 (maybe) that I'd like to see signed, at this point anyway. They would be; wilfork, green, woods, and maybe izzo? Although izz is getting a bit long in tooth for a st'er. On the flipside, thats an awful lot of slots to fill in two years time, and thats ignoring the fact that most of these guys would (in theory anyway) be getting the boot when playoffs start in a few months. I would love to see us pick up a FAST quarterback eating machine to throw in thomas' spot then move him inside with Mayo and tell teddy to hold a clipboard. I was watching E60 last night and caught the tale end of their piece on simeon rice, maybe it would be worth our while to bring him in for the tale end of the season for a small but incentive heavy contract (assuming we are still in the hunt, not that we have a shot if we make it to the real season in any case).
Bah, but all we humps get to do is sit back and :disagreement:

you forgot to assess AD

will there be a time when seymour slows down and will be better suited to play inside in a 4-3?

is it unreasonable to expect this guy to put pressure on the qb every time?

we need some OLB's who can rush the passer.

you forgot to assess AD

will there be a time when seymour slows down and will be better suited to play inside in a 4-3?

True. I don't think you're unreasonable to expect a bit more out of Thomas. However, he is a talented player, and still had good speed, so he is valuable to us in the future. I would give AD a B- since he has been here. Good but not great. Part of his problem is the fact the Sey is no longer the machine that he was in the past.

Bru, Vrabel and Sey all need to be cut, traded or retire.

I'm not sure if I said he was great. I definitely didin't put it in all CAPS. But I said he was improving, and would be one of the top QBs in the league by year end. And yes, I was ridiculed somewhat for that. Called a homer or a troll depending on the person doing the calling.

A Jets fan Troll would be more precise

I would too. IMO Jarvis, when healthy, is a more than adequate replacement for Seymour. He's better in pass rush as well.

I am not commenting on Seymour here, but just want to say that I love Jarvis. The guy always seems to make plays. I hope his injury is not too severe.

We really are a 3-4 defense with one the top NT's in the NFL. Seymour is too injury prone to play inside.

you forgot to assess AD

the colts are desperate for a DT. they would take seymour in a blink when he is cut.

Well I was poring over our roster to see who this "Gutten" guy is. We don't have any such guy listed. Did you mean Guyton? I like Guyton's upside, but let's not put him in the HOF, he's an undrafted FA who worked his way onto the roster. I'm rooting for him, but I don't think I've drunk enough Homeraid to label him the next Urlacher or whatever.

Hey guys and gals....It's not all doom and gloom for the future. Yes, Seymour, Harrison and Bru should be cut, but we have a great young core of players that are going to be good in the future.

We are going to have a fast and athletic d in the future. It's obvious that the older lb's, and Seymour being a shell of himself are having a negative impact on the pass rush. Couple that with the fact that we have a lot of rookies out there and viola. I hope Sey, Harrison and Bru are cut. Either that or the retire. I know Sey will want more money when the time comes, so I hope the pats trade him or cut him!

There is some truth in the analysis, but for a life long fan you should invest in a spell checker. Half the names were spelled incorrectly...

Back to to the breakdown.

• Seymour - I like the idea of trading Seymour. He will be walking at after 09 so they might as well get some value.
  • Meriweather = awesome? Why is that?
  • Harrison is a free agent so you will get your wish.
  • Sanders is a free agent also, could be brought back for cheap $ and play a role as the 3rd Safety.
  • Wheatley - Wilhite - Both have a future? Is that because they are young? I will need to see a little more before they are anything more than nickel backs / depth.

Sanders will not be an inexpensive 3rd safety. He will get starting money for someone.

The funny thing is, our D was better last year with a healthy Green on the end and Adalius on the inside. Maybe they need to cut their losses with Seymour and spend the money elsewhere? IMO, the key ingredient in this defense is speed off the edges. There's a reason they haven't won the big one since McGinest and Vrabel were together in their prime. Does anyone think Manning beats us last year with McGoo running down his back? I don't.

The day this defense gets that pass rush back is the day we raise #4. Until then we'll continue coming up just short, on defense as always.

Lifer, the D sucks agreed but it's because of the style of D they are asked to play. BB/Pees/Capers lets the QB sit back there all day, puts in 5 DB's and hopes for an INT, how is that working out?

You would think he would of learned something from the Giants in the SB.

It won't happen but i would like to scrap the whole defensive scheme and start putting BIG pressure on opposing QB's, give them no time to get all comfy in the pocket, rush their passes, make more mistakes and God forbid knock a guy like Rivers or Manning on his ass 10 times a game. I believe we have the personnel to do it but the problem is that they are asked to hold their ground instead of attack, it's a sucky, outdated defensive system IMO.

This sit back and wait bs only works for bad teams/bad QB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back