PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The future of Matt Patricia

Calm down man... No need to get angry... Relax, it's just off-season conversation

You make them sound like they were ripe for success under that blank piece of paper they had at HC before him... he started off in a poor spot, and never had the support of the players or media... That's not defending him... That's relating what happened... The article offers a perspective on his first days in Detroit, and how it started poorly... Which is on matt

As for trading "good" players, it happens all the time, by almost every team at some point... Happened this season in Detroit no less... Yet you act like this never happens ... Not sure why...but whatever...

I'm not saying he did a good job. I am saying he started off in a bad way. If you think he should be vilified for making players run after screw ups in practice, which is what happened, then I don't know what to say to you. You obviously have an anti-patricia slant, which is fine... I'm not trying to nor am i going to die on a hill defending him and his failure in Detroit...
I am missing the part where I came off as angry. I just disagree with the notion that there was some vendetta in Detroit from the minute he got there. I think Patricia waged the same war Josh did when he got to Denver and obviously that was a colossal failure as well. Both Josh and Patricia alienated themselves with their players and the media by trying to act like Bill without the Bill resume and that is why people turned on them. I read an article on The Athletic the other day about the Derek Carr benching saga in Vegas and many anonymous players stated they believe that Josh McDaniels is for real and while they like Carr they understand what Josh is trying to do there. It seems that even though things went sideways with the Raiders this year McDaniels has changed his approach to how he treats the players and the media and it looks like they're buying in. I don't want to see Matt Patricia tarred and feathered like some people around here do but at this point I don't want him around the players. He seems to be arrogant still and hasn't been humbled by his failure in Detroit and this team has enough egos we don't need his as well.

Alabama DC

Saban needs someone.

Joe "Nostradumbazz" Kerr can see Patricia's future....

hot-dog-street-cart-fast-food-hot-dog-cart-and-street-hot-dog-cart-hot-dog-cart-street-food.jpg

I am missing the part where I came off as angry. I just disagree with the notion that there was some vendetta in Detroit from the minute he got there. I think Patricia waged the same war Josh did when he got to Denver and obviously that was a colossal failure as well. Both Josh and Patricia alienated themselves with their players and the media by trying to act like Bill without the Bill resume and that is why people turned on them. I read an article on The Athletic the other day about the Derek Carr benching saga in Vegas and many anonymous players stated they believe that Josh McDaniels is for real and while they like Carr they understand what Josh is trying to do there. It seems that even though things went sideways with the Raiders this year McDaniels has changed his approach to how he treats the players and the media and it looks like they're buying in. I don't want to see Matt Patricia tarred and feathered like some people around here do but at this point I don't want him around the players. He seems to be arrogant still and hasn't been humbled by his failure in Detroit and this team has enough egos we don't need his as well.
Dude, that whole post came off like it was full of anger...

The difference between Josh in Denver and Matt in Detroit was this - and i realize this is not a full accounting - Denver had an established qb in Jay Cutler... people out there, for some reason, liked him and thought of him as a franchise qb (per my cousin who lives in colorado springs)... year 2 hes throwing for 4500+ yards and all that jazz... Josh immediately destabilized the qb position with the Cassel flirtation, then drafting Tim Tebow... What did matt do in the opening of year 1 to earn such scorn? Nothing like that...

take the time to read some of the articles that came out almost immediately after he landed in Detroit... It was actually shocking how vitriolic some of them were... but whatever, do or do not... I ain't gonna worry about it

Last edited:
OL coach
Run game coordinator
Assistant head coach

Dude, that whole post came off like it was full of anger...

The difference between Josh in Denver and Matt in Detroit was this - and i realize this is not a full accounting - Denver had an established qb in Jay Cutler... people out there, for some reason, liked him and thought of him as a franchise qb (per my cousin who lives in colorado springs)... year 2 hes throwing for 4500+ yards and all that jazz... Josh immediately destabilized the qb position with the Cassel flirtation, then drafting Tim Tebow... What did matt do in the opening of year 1 to earn such scorn? Nothing like that...

take the time to read some of the articles that came out almost immediately after he landed in Detroit... It was actually shocking how vitriolic some of them were... but whatever, do or do not... I ain't gonna worry about it
I agree that it isn't a one for one comparison based on the fact Josh did jettison a young QB who looked to be ascending but both guys walked into situations with established QB's and teams around .500 and ended up pulverizing the franchises into the ground. I think Patricia just came in and rubbed people the wrong way from the get go.

Maybe there was some bias against the "Patriot Way" but he did everything he could to lean into it. His arrogance with the "sit up straight and respect the process" nonsense to the reporter. Allegedly talking down to Darius Slay in their first meeting and then calling him out in vulgar terms in front of the whole team over a photo with another player. Then him taking credit for the Malcolm Butler Super Bowl interception when being pressed on why his team kept blowing 4th quarter leads: "Think I got probably one of the biggest plays in the fourth quarter in the history of the NFL".

I mean look at some of the stories in the article below after his first season in Detroit. The players flat out hated Patricia. Now he is here and allegedly had Kendrick Bourne in the doghouse and has Mac on national television telling him to "fu*k off". I am sure he is a smart guy but he seems to be as arrogant as he is smart and it is no surprise people root for his downfall.

On clean-out day at the end of the 2018 season, there was a tangible sense of relief in the Lions locker room. It had been a long and difficult transition under first-time head coach Matt Patricia's Patriot-like culture. Over the last week, with the end in sight, players who were no longer under contract were loud about their intentions to get the hell out of there. "There was a lot of, 'You all have fun, because I am gone!'" says former Lions running back Zach Zenner. "People talking about how there was no way they were going to re-sign back in Detroit." Then-safety Glover Quin says players blasted music that entire week, turning the locker room into a "funhouse" because "guys were over it, really. They were over the season, they were over everything." One player's agent had sent him champagne for a Christmas gift, and he had kept it in his locker, waiting for the right moment to uncork the celebration. Saying goodbye to Patricia, at least until OTAs, seemed like just the reason to party. Before the Lions' last team meeting, mid-morning, a group of 10 to 15 players took orange juice from the cafeteria and mixed it with the champagne to make mimosas. They chilled and sipped out of Solo cups, finally relaxing after a season of long practices, tough conditioning and routinely getting cussed at by their head coach, who had a long list of rules that a former player described as taking the fun out of the game. "It was a free-for-all," he says. The stifling Patriot Way experience had been a culture shock many veteran players were elated to be done with.

Maybe there was some bias against the "Patriot Way" but he did everything he could to lean into it. His arrogance with the "sit up straight and respect the process" nonsense to the reporter.
Absolutely... he didnt do himself any favors

question for you - is it arrogance if that's how you've been taught to coach?

I think its much more a sign of inexperience in a powerful position.. instead of giving himself a chance to grow respect with the new team, he acted the hard ass (hole) dictator coach... that's sheer stupidity in my book... but maybe that's just semantics/splitting hairs on my part

Absolutely... he didnt do himself any favors

question for you - is it arrogance if that's how you've been taught to coach?

I think its much more a sign of inexperience in a powerful position.. instead of giving himself a chance to grow respect with the new team, he acted the hard ass (hole) dictator coach... that's sheer stupidity in my book... but maybe that's just semantics/splitting hairs on my part
To me there is the aspect of coaching X's and O's that you pick up but there is also how to deal with people that comes with pretty much any job in all walks of life. We all know when you're super successful you have more leeway to act like an as*hole. If Matt thought he could do that as a first time head coach then he certainly isn't as smart as he thinks he is or he completely lacks self awareness.

To me there is the aspect of coaching X's and O's that you pick up but there is also how to deal with people that comes with pretty much any job in all walks of life. We all know when you're super successful you have more leeway to act like an as*hole. If Matt thought he could do that as a first time head coach then he certainly isn't as smart as he thinks he is or he completely lacks self awareness.
Most brilliant people also lack nuance and social skills. There’s been a lot of business functions/networking events across the country that I’ve been to, and the Ivy League people are some of the most painfully awkward individuals to try to talk to. You can tell they’re brilliant by speaking to them, but socially they’re just lost. Not all of them, mind you. But they’re the ones who stood out.

Most brilliant people also lack nuance and social skills. There’s been a lot of business functions/networking events across the country that I’ve been to, and the Ivy League people are some of the most painfully awkward individuals to try to talk to. You can tell they’re brilliant by speaking to them, but socially they’re just lost. Not all of them, mind you. But they’re the ones who stood out.
Watch out. I tried making this point during the season and people got on my case.

It's been my experience as well dealing with super smart people in my last job.

Watch out. I tried making this point during the season and people got on my case.

It's been my experience as well dealing with super smart people in my last job.
If I said I farted, it was a bit wet, my butthole itched, and I expected a little poo poo on the toilet paper, people would get on my case. Comes with the territory on here. But I’m glad other people have had similar experiences. Not trying to take anything away from those individuals. They’re often gifted. Just not socially.

Last edited:
Also If hes selling them he needs to remember not to get high on his own supply
well..the good news is, after a year selling and eating those dogs outside the Razor, he can expect to get a position in Ringling Brothers as "Balloon Boy" and float permanently above the friggin' foghorn in the end zone...

There’s a point here. Instead of assuming the man is as infallible as a Papal Bull, and that you’re ready to swallow his load at a moment’s notice and ask if he’s been eating pineapple all week, how about we assume BB is human? That would be pretty neat.
tenor.gif

I believe that Bill had made the decision that after Josh left and took 2 other offensive assistants with him that he wanted BOB to replace him as OC. But he also knew BOB was contractually tied to Bama for another year. He knew that no competent OC would be willing to come in for one year. So Bill made the decision that between, Patricia, Judge, Caley, Brown, and Yates, etc, he could cobble together a representative offense for the 2022 season before handing it over to BOB in 2023.

This was the situation Patricia was thrown into. Matt might have been the guy who called the plays, but I truly believe that the coordination of the offense was in the end a collaborative effort. But because he was the play caller, for better or worse, he took almost all of the hits for this swing and miss by Bill. Bill felt it was in the best long term plan for the team getting BOB here.

It almost worked. We were 2 KO returns away from the playoffs, on the road against one of the top teams in the conference. One more win, in a season where there were several games were we were a play or two away from that one win.

We were in almost EVERY game into the 4th quarter perhaps except surprisingly enough, the Chicago game. This season might have been a disaster as it is viewed by OUR lofty expectations but it wasn't an actual disaster. A lot of good developments one can cite.

In the end Bill got what he wanted all along after Josh's departure, and that that was BOB running the offense. Now lets look forward to the end results a year from now.

BTW-

I believe that Bill had made the decision that after Josh left and took 2 other offensive assistants with him that he wanted BOB to replace him as OC. But he also knew BOB was contractually tied to Bama for another year. He knew that no competent OC would be willing to come in for one year. So Bill made the decision that between, Patricia, Judge, Caley, Brown, and Yates, etc, he could cobble together a representative offense for the 2022 season before handing it over to BOB in 2023.

This was the situation Patricia was thrown into. Matt might have been the guy who called the plays, but I truly believe that the coordination of the offense was in the end a collaborative effort. But because he was the play caller, for better or worse, he took almost all of the hits for this swing and miss by Bill. Bill felt it was in the best long term plan for the team getting BOB here.

It almost worked. We were 2 KO returns away from the playoffs, on the road against one of the top teams in the conference. One more win, in a season where there were several games were we were a play or two away from that one win.

We were in almost EVERY game into the 4th quarter perhaps except surprisingly enough, the Chicago game. This season might have been a disaster as it is viewed by OUR lofty expectations but it wasn't an actual disaster. A lot of good developments one can cite.

In the end Bill got what he wanted all along after Josh's departure, and that that was BOB running the offense. Now lets look forward to the end results a year from now.

BTW-
so...Bill Machiavelli?...as outlandish as it sounds it COULD be true...but man, THAT'S gambling on a lot of unknown variables IMO

BTW-

Bill is GOD.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back