PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "FAVRE - he's really coming baaack only not in GB" post

Status
Not open for further replies.
20-favrethumb_0708.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.gif

favrejets.jpg

favrebears_article.jpg

mvfavre.jpg

He is Drew Bledsoe. He will lead you close and throw a pick at the end.

What has Favre accomplished? He got a SB ring 12 YEARS AGO courtesy of Desmond Howard. Whoopy Doo.

If the Packers are smart, they will grant his request. Get rid of him. Best thing for Green Bay will be Favre playing for the Vikes or Bears. It will be 2007 deja vu with Favre STILL completing passes to guys in a GB uniform.

Couldn't have said it better.

And what's he going to do when he has to perform with new coaches and teamates? Just teach 'em all the sling it system in two weeks? Set their program back 2-3 years for the priviledge of hosting 1 more year of the aging drama queen's seemingly endless retirement tour?

He had his best season in years because he finally reluctantly did what his coaches have asked him to do for over a decade - play within a system so the other 52 guys had a chance to. And he said himself he cannot do it now, never wanted to before but at 38 it mentally drained him to the point he was toast when the playoffs rolled around.

He's what Bledsoe would have been here if Belichick hadn't had the stones to move on. McCarthy and Thompson should ask themselves, what would Bill Belichick do? Trade his $39M remaining ass to the highest bidder trusting that the same reason you don't want him at the helm will be their eventual downfall.

He's never really been a leader or he wouldn't be capable of doing this to the franchise that gave him a chance. In Atlanta they had no use for his alcoholic immature seat of my pants ass. Holmgren and GB went out on a limb and made it pay off - ONCE - for all concerned. Brett had little to do with the actual payoff, either. From there on out once Holmgren bailed he made it all about him and accomodating him and placating him and him having fun Time for the good folks in GB to say enough!

He can still play is a pathetic statement. I'll bet Montana and Elway can still throw a frozen rope to schoolboys in practice. Brett can't run an NFL offense efficiently with consistency because the effort that takes makes his head hurt. His self absorbed BS makes my head hurt. Personally, because I'm emotional and vindictive, I'd make him ride the pine - they have the cap space, he'd quit after a few weeks but he'd be apt to fracture the team in the process. So plan B I make him ask for reinstatement, come to camp and trade him two weeks into camp to some team whose receivers names he can't even remember and whose offense will certainly escape him. They can send him East if they like, I have no reservations about playing against him. Ellis needs to boost his pick count this year with Asante gone.

Brett's real legacy is proving that a self absorbed gunslinger who threw for lots of empty yardage and lucked into a ring early in his career can bamboozle an entire industry for a decade by simply playing the good old boy card ad nauseum. His indeciciveness about his future is probably mirrored annually by the women in Hattiesburg who have to endure the process and a lot more. I remember how he lamented missing most of his oldest daughters growing years (not to mention treating Deanna like ****) and said he didn't want to miss those with the younger one. Yeah, right. Brett is the quintessential Peter Pan - he got sober but he grew old without ever really growing up. He eventually acknowledged his family comparatively speaking, but he still hasn't been able to commit to them fully. Even when Deanna was battling cancer at a time in his career when most felt he should retire anyway, Brett played on for the sympathy card. Brett the grizzled warrior...LOL Life remains as always all about Brett Favre. I wouldn't doubt the women folk encourage him to play at this time every year because living with him once he gets like this is probably torture...

And the circus continues.:blahblah:

All I can hope for is when the day Tom decides to hang them up, he follows Wayne Gretzky's example: Retire and don't look back.

And the circus continues.:blahblah:

All I can hope for is when the day Tom decides to hang them up, he follows Wayne Gretzky's example: Retire and don't look back.

Yeah, I had the same thought. But, I don't think Tom is a self centered prick, much like Lord Favre.

Fuvck Favre.

Any chance of that catching on? I would love to see it on a t-shirt. :)

Last edited:
Actually, Green Bay is doing exactly what it should be doing.

Brett Favre created this situation every year for 4 years. He did it again this year -- not only retiring but privately unretiring in March - right up until the part where he privately retired again in March -- only to unretire (we think) in July (he hasn't actually filed the unretiring paperwork).

Green Bay jerking Brett Favre around??? You have got to be kidding me. What else is Favre (or his apologizers) going to say? He jerks Green Bay management around on a string for years and now management's the bad guy when they unhook the chain? I don't think so.

If you think a statement "allowing him to comeback as a back up" is not total disrespect to Hall of famer then I don;t know what is.

There is no way our New England Patriots or Bill Belichick would disrespect a veteran like that. If you don't want him back, that's fine - trade him or release him and move on - period.

Shame on Green Bay for allowing this to turn into a circus full of hard feelings all around. I imagine Green bay fans are really feeling sick to their stomachs no matter what they feel about Brett Favre and where he should be playing.

Yeah, I had the same thought. But, I don't think Tom is a self centered prick, much like Lord Favre.

Fuvck Favre.

Any chance of that catching on? I would love to see it on a t-shirt. :)

All signs point to Tom being the exact opposite of Brett when it comes to team issues but just in case, maybe someone can do an open letter type to him.

And I would pay a reasonable amount of money for that shirt. And judging from what I see on the Internet, I think it would catch on.

If you think a statement "allowing him to comeback as a back up" is not total disrespect to Hall of famer then I don;t know what is.

There is no way our New England Patriots or Bill Belichick would disrespect a veteran like that. If you don't want him back, that's fine - trade him or release him and move on - period.

Shame on Green Bay for allowing this to turn into a circus full of hard feelings all around. I imagine Green bay fans are really feeling sick to their stomachs no matter what they feel about Brett Favre and where he should be playing.

And you don't think Favre created this circus himself? Please explain that line of logic because I'm simply not following. :confused:

Were you asleep the past 4 years?

And you don't think Favre created this circus himself? Please explain that line of logic because I'm simply not following. :confused:

Fine then......do you really think this is all Favre and that GB's front office has been above board and totally fair and honest with the guy?? If so, then why don't they just release him??

I guarantee BB would have let him go years ago and done it with class, that is my main gripe over GB front office. It is no way to treat a guy that contribed as much as he did to the organization and the team, whether he became an ahole or not.

Where is the benefit in what they allowed to happen?? Where is MANAGEMENTS leadership??

At this point, he very well may come back and spite them. Imagine if he did come back....what nightmare at would be.

Last edited:
From Draftsharks.com: Report: Favre to Vikings? WSSP Radio in Milwaukee reports the Minnesota Vikings have made inquiries about Brett Favre, "pending his release from the Packers." There have also been reports that Miami, Carolina, and Tampa Bay are interested. Packers GM Ted Thompson has already said he won't release Favre. A trade scenario seems more likely each day. This guy simply cannot or will not retire.

I swear its getting Spygate Like. Thank God this scandal doesn't involve us.

From Draftsharks.com: Report: Favre to Vikings? WSSP Radio in Milwaukee reports the Minnesota Vikings have made inquiries about Brett Favre, "pending his release from the Packers." There have also been reports that Miami, Carolina, and Tampa Bay are interested. Packers GM Ted Thompson has already said he won't release Favre. A trade scenario seems more likely each day. This guy simply cannot or will not retire.

I swear its getting Spygate Like. Thank God this scandal doesn't involve us.

Couldn't be true - Thompson said no other teams have expressed any interest in Favre and after all - he must be telling the truth. Favre is the only jerkdog in this hunt, riiiight?

"Thompson said he had not received any trade inquiries from any teams interested in acquiring Favre."
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/12/packers-we-wont-cut-favre/

Last edited:
Fine then......do you really think this is all Favre and that GB's front office has been above board and totally fair and honest with the guy?? If so, then why don't they just release him??

I guarantee BB would have let him go years ago and done it with class, that is my main gripe over GB front office. It is no way to treat a guy that contribed as much as he did to the organization and the team, whether he became an ahole or not.

Where is the benefit in what they allowed to happen?? Where is MANAGEMENTS leadership??

At this point, he very well may come back and spite them. Imagine if he did come back....what nightmare at would be.

GB told him they wanted him back. Told him he was their starting QB for the 2008-2009 season. He retired instead. He called later and said I changed my mind. They said, Brett you are the starting QB for the 2008-2009 season, we're sending the team plane for you. He again changed his mind and stayed retired. So GB moved on.

Favre's main complaint has been that they didn't do enough to show him they wanted him. But they told him twice they wanted him as their QB so how is that possible? In his mind, they needed to beg.

In Favre's media fed mind, he isn't the QB of the Green Bay Packers - Brett Favre IS the Green Bay Packers. This isn't a retirement/unretirement thing by Favre - it is a power play. He probably had this all planned out in March. He doesn't like that McCarthy and Thompson forced the great Brtt Favre to be a member of the team and not be bigger than the franchise. It is no coincidence that Favre's family, agent, and media lackeys are bashing Thompson - the guy who essentially came in and told Bett that he would GM and Brett should focus on QB.

There is no denying the Packers management has been devoid of all leadership since Holmgren left. The clowns they had running the show let Favre become bigger than the franchise. The guys in charge now have to deal with the fallout.

This is the time to cut the cord. Favre's last shot was last year with a decent team, strict coaching, and an easy schedule. It ended how it always ends with Favre.

Favre should simply provide the Packers a list of team he would be willing to accept a trade to and then let the Packers do their job. It was good enough for Joe Montana once upon a time but Lord Favre would have to acnowledge that team management and not Lord Favre hold the decision making power in GB to take that route.

I dont know why we are supposed to care.
I keeping hearing the talking heads ramble on about 'how they should treat Favre' and all that crap.
Favre retired. If he wants to come back he can ask for a job. The Packers hold all the cards because he IS under contract to them.
I love how players get $30million signing bonusses because of the system, then cry about the system when they can't just do whatever they want.
The system that says Favre is property of the Packers, and if the Packers choose, Favre has 2 choices, show up, or stay home, is the same system that allowed him to become a multi-millionaire who can decide to sit home and do nothing at 40 years old. It is also the same system that allows him to get his name in the headlines and have the media, fans, and whoever else talk about how he 'deserves to be treated'.

Lets try this. Allow every NFL player to go to whatever team they want, just like people in regular jobs. They can quit whenever they want and go work for someone else. When your team is 2-10 everyone can quit and go work for the team that is 11-1. Teams can't 'fire' you without cause, you have the same protections as every employee in America.
There you go players, you have all of your rights that you whine about not having. What do you lose?
You will no longer make 50 million on a contract, you will no longer be a celebrity, no one will care what you do, no one will talk about you, because there will be no NFL.

Nothing annoys me more than someone who gets tons of advantages from a situation, then whines about the ones they don't get. They only get the advantages because of the ones they abdicate.
The Packers are his EMPLOYER. The employee and employer have an arrangement (the collective bargaining agreement) that allows the relationship to exist as it does. This is very similar to me to Jason Taylor asking to be released, and acting as if he deserves it because the team sucks. He signed a contract for 6 years or whatever it was, where he gave away his right to free agency for 6 years. he was paid BASED ON GIVING IT UP FOR 6 YEARS. Had he signed a 4 year contract he would have gotten a much lower signing bonus. How do you, with a straight face, accept the benefits of signing a long term contract, then complain that 4 years in you deserve the benefits you would have gotten from a 4 year contract TOO? I bet if Taylor told the Phins things have changed in the 4 years since he signed his 6 year contract (not sure if the years are correct, going from memory) and he wishes he had signed a 4 year deal because he would like out of his contract. So since he was paid a signing bonus for 6 years and only wants to stay 4 he will give them back one third of the signing bonus, they would be treating him a lot differently than they are, which is just how you treat an employee who thinks they can make their own rules, ask for unreasonable things, and are more important the entire rest of the company.
OK, rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish someone would say that if Brett Favre wasn't AWFUL against the Giants that the Packers would have won that game.

... For all that say 'bring in Favre and have him groom/mentor our young QB' - did they miss the cold shoulder Favre gave Rodgers in Green Bay, saying it wasn't his job to help Rodgers?

Excactly! As much as I love Brett Favre, I never forget about that. :nono:

Last edited:
Everybody except hard core Favre jock sniffers think this ego driven QB has put the Packers on the spot.....not the other way around.

Yes, he can still play. He should have realized that before his teary eyed retirement press conference.

I have gone from a Favre fan to a fan who just wishes he would go away.

That being said, he is still better than a lot of QB's still playing......they just don't publicly whine about retiring all the time. Go Bret.....just go.
This post sums up my feelings perfectly - especially the bolded part.
Well said, Ghost.

Couldn't be true - Thompson said no other teams have expressed any interest in Favre and after all - he must be telling the truth. Favre is the only jerkdog in this hunt, riiiight?

"Thompson said he had not received any trade inquiries from any teams interested in acquiring Favre."
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/12/packers-we-wont-cut-favre/

What you fail to grasp here is that any interest expressed in him to date has likely been expressed to Bus Cook and that's called tampering. He's on the reserve retired list and has been since March. If he comes off it, which only happens at his request, then teams may start inquiring. Not sure how many will like him enough to trade a perhaps conditional pick for his bloated $39M contract balance. Brett is due more than Brady makes over the next 3 seasons. Short of a meaningless committment from this jerk, why would you trade anything for him. And he potentially won't cooperate contractually on a trade because he wants to be FREE!!!

Teams have a right to move on whether the player is ready or not, irrespective of who that player is. When that player tearfully retires on national television and shares with everyone the fact that he can't take the film study and minutae that running a cohesive system entails and it fried him to do it once, wtf is a FO supposed to do? Take him back weeks before camp opens and after they have announced his 4 year veteran backup as the starter and drafted 2 more youngster at the position because he can still sling in to highschool players at his local hangout? He always said he knew he could still play. That is Favrespeak for I can still sling it. Big friggin' deal - I bet Montana and Elway can to. So can Rohan Davey - he always could, just not to the place the system dictated. Ditto Favre. I'm sure Thompson would have loved to have inherited a team devoid of the problem that Favre had become, but the dead cap on his contract dictated that he had to stay at least through 2006 even as he sucked donkey balls... They would have cut him prior to last season if he had not promised McCarthy he would do it his way for once for one last shot. In his poignant retirement PC he explained that he couldn't do that ever again. It was too hard to behave like a real QB when all you ever were is a fun loving gunslinger.

I think Brett's in male menopause. This is about nothing more than hurt feelings and craving adoration. He wanted them to beg him to reconsider even after the tearful goodbye. They did, and then he confirmed he was committed to retiring. I guess that they didn't do two or three more rounds of begging and just took him at his word like the man he isn't made him feel horribly underappreciated. Even in the wake of round the clock programming and plans in GB to retire his freakin' jersey... He's jealous because now only half the attention of the entire GB faithful would be on him, and the other half would be on the 2008 team and his replacement once camp opens. He might go unmentioned save for Sunday's and Mondays once the season commenced.

How disrespectful - no, not of the team to him but of him to the entire game. He gets away with this crap because he's always played the charming good old boy card. Thing is, good old boys can be pricks at heart and Favre is proving to be just that. NFLN was monitoring call ins to a local GB radio station yesterday and three out of four Packers fans who called in said while they appreciated his career it was time for him to just go home. And if he can't do that then Thompson should do what he believes is in the teams best interest long term.

Seems to me they pushed him in March to announce when he really wasn't ready and pushed him hard.

No matter though, he still wants to play, so, they should have welcomed him back or If they didn't want him, at least , out of respect, release him.

Now they have split the fans, team and probably the players too and have a media feeding frenzy going on (nice to see attention leave here for a change).

It's no way to treat a guy who devoted a career to his team.

Fact is he is still one hell of a QB and in the end, that is where they will have blown it. He will lead some team deep into the playoffs.

If Tom Brady pulls this crap at the end of his career I would lose all respect for him as I have for Fahvruh. He will lead no one did into the playoffs, last year was a fluke. His last pass of the season sums it up.

I dont know why we are supposed to care.
I keeping hearing the talking heads ramble on about 'how they should treat Favre' and all that crap.
Favre retired. If he wants to come back he can ask for a job. The Packers hold all the cards because he IS under contract to them.
I love how players get $30million signing bonusses because of the system, then cry about the system when they can't just do whatever they want.
The system that says Favre is property of the Packers, and if the Packers choose, Favre has 2 choices, show up, or stay home, is the same system that allowed him to become a multi-millionaire who can decide to sit home and do nothing at 40 years old. It is also the same system that allows him to get his name in the headlines and have the media, fans, and whoever else talk about how he 'deserves to be treated'.

Lets try this. Allow every NFL player to go to whatever team they want, just like people in regular jobs. They can quit whenever they want and go work for someone else. When your team is 2-10 everyone can quit and go work for the team that is 11-1. Teams can't 'fire' you without cause, you have the same protections as every employee in America.
There you go players, you have all of your rights that you whine about not having. What do you lose?
You will no longer make 50 million on a contract, you will no longer be a celebrity, no one will care what you do, no one will talk about you, because there will be no NFL.

Nothing annoys me more than someone who gets tons of advantages from a situation, then whines about the ones they don't get. They only get the advantages because of the ones they abdicate.
The Packers are his EMPLOYER. The employee and employer have an arrangement (the collective bargaining agreement) that allows the relationship to exist as it does. This is very similar to me to Jason Taylor asking to be released, and acting as if he deserves it because the team sucks. He signed a contract for 6 years or whatever it was, where he gave away his right to free agency for 6 years. he was paid BASED ON GIVING IT UP FOR 6 YEARS. Had he signed a 4 year contract he would have gotten a much lower signing bonus. How do you, with a straight face, accept the benefits of signing a long term contract, then complain that 4 years in you deserve the benefits you would have gotten from a 4 year contract TOO? I bet if Taylor told the Phins things have changed in the 4 years since he signed his 6 year contract (not sure if the years are correct, going from memory) and he wishes he had signed a 4 year deal because he would like out of his contract. So since he was paid a signing bonus for 6 years and only wants to stay 4 he will give them back one third of the signing bonus, they would be treating him a lot differently than they are, which is just how you treat an employee who thinks they can make their own rules, ask for unreasonable things, and are more important the entire rest of the company.
OK, rant over.
I agree...I really could not care less about what happens with him..he's taken advantage of his situation and now needs to go away..The Packers ARE his employer and he has to negotiate with them..otherwise sit out a year. MHolley had it right when he said he would not retire...NOT SURE who he got that info from, but it was a hot tip.

What you fail to grasp here is that any interest expressed in him to date has likely been expressed to Bus Cook and that's called tampering. He's on the reserve retired list and has been since March. If he comes off it, which only happens at his request, then teams may start inquiring. Not sure how many will like him enough to trade a perhaps conditional pick for his bloated $39M contract balance. Brett is due more than Brady makes over the next 3 seasons. Short of a meaningless committment from this jerk, why would you trade anything for him. And he potentially won't cooperate contractually on a trade because he wants to be FREE!!!

Teams have a right to move on whether the player is ready or not, irrespective of who that player is. When that player tearfully retires on national television and shares with everyone the fact that he can't take the film study and minutae that running a cohesive system entails and it fried him to do it once, wtf is a FO supposed to do? Take him back weeks before camp opens and after they have announced his 4 year veteran backup as the starter and drafted 2 more youngster at the position because he can still sling in to highschool players at his local hangout? He always said he knew he could still play. That is Favrespeak for I can still sling it. Big friggin' deal - I bet Montana and Elway can to. So can Rohan Davey - he always could, just not to the place the system dictated. Ditto Favre. I'm sure Thompson would have loved to have inherited a team devoid of the problem that Favre had become, but the dead cap on his contract dictated that he had to stay at least through 2006 even as he sucked donkey balls... They would have cut him prior to last season if he had not promised McCarthy he would do it his way for once for one last shot. In his poignant retirement PC he explained that he couldn't do that ever again. It was too hard to behave like a real QB when all you ever were is a fun loving gunslinger.

I think Brett's in male menopause. This is about nothing more than hurt feelings and craving adoration. He wanted them to beg him to reconsider even after the tearful goodbye. They did, and then he confirmed he was committed to retiring. I guess that they didn't do two or three more rounds of begging and just took him at his word like the man he isn't made him feel horribly underappreciated. Even in the wake of round the clock programming and plans in GB to retire his freakin' jersey... He's jealous because now only half the attention of the entire GB faithful would be on him, and the other half would be on the 2008 team and his replacement once camp opens. He might go unmentioned save for Sunday's and Mondays once the season commenced.

How disrespectful - no, not of the team to him but of him to the entire game. He gets away with this crap because he's always played the charming good old boy card. Thing is, good old boys can be pricks at heart and Favre is proving to be just that. NFLN was monitoring call ins to a local GB radio station yesterday and three out of four Packers fans who called in said while they appreciated his career it was time for him to just go home. And if he can't do that then Thompson should do what he believes is in the teams best interest long term.

Incredibly well stated, Mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes