Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Nice Ringer article on Steve Belichick

Steve Belichick Is Tired of Your Dad Jokes

Nice, quick read - not super informative or anything, but an interesting, brief look at Steve Belichick as a coach.

Now, Steve is spending the week talking about the Belichick name and everything that comes with it: the pressure, the assumptions, and the education. He says that Monday’s was “by far” the longest press session of his life, and this is undoubtedly one of the biggest weeks of his life: a chance for glory under his father and for himself. It’s not quite an opportunity to make his own name, but that may come in time. When I ask where he feels he’s grown the most this year, he says, “My hair. There you go.”

Yeah. He’s a Belichick.

"The Education of a Coach’s Son"

Steve Belichick Is Tired of Your Dad Jokes

An excerpt:

Their studies extended to Army-Navy games, which grandfather [BB's father] and grandson began attending annually when the younger Steve was in elementary school. The former Navy football scout would instruct his grandson to watch certain areas of the field before the snap. “On a kickoff, he’d find the best coverage player and have me watch,” Steve says. “On third down he would tell me which receiver to watch because he figured out which guy was getting the ball. It wasn’t, ‘Did you see the way they did that?,’ because the game moves so fast and I was so young, we were already on to the next play. He would slow the game down and narrow the game down for me because he knew what was going to happen next.”

What Steve needs to do is what his father did early in his career. Experience what the league has to offer. BB never spent too much time in one place until he got to the Giants. He had short year or 2 stays with the Colts, Lions, and Denver IIRC before he landed with the Giants IIRC, maybe more.

Spend another year or two here, solidify his foundation, and then get a job in another organization like Houston, Tenn. Lions or Falcons, teams with some NE roots but different nontheless, and start to make his own name away from his father

What Steve needs to do is what his father did early in his career. Experience what the league has to offer. BB never spent too much time in one place until he got to the Giants. He had short year or 2 stays with the Colts, Lions, and Denver IIRC before he landed with the Giants IIRC, maybe more.

Spend another year or two here, solidify his foundation, and then get a job in another organization like Houston, Tenn. Lions or Falcons, teams with some NE roots but different nontheless, and start to make his own name away from his father

I agree that Steve should go to other teams sometime, get out and see how other teams are run, but I don't think he should go just yet. For one thing, he's coaching the safeties, and he's doing a great job. Yes, there's talent there, but it's easy to **** up talent as Googs showed us after Scar retired.

But really, what is he going to learn from any other head coach that he can't learn from the GOAT? Most coaches are too new (Quinn as an example) or terrible (Caldwell). And BB only has so many years left as a coach. To be here, contending for championships with his dad, what an amazing time this must be for him.

He's so young, he's got a long future ahead of him, there's no rush to get out there. Look across the sideline to Kyle Shanahan, who learned from his dad as a child, then mentored under Mike Shanahan's former OC, Gary Kubiak in Houston, then went back to work for his dad in Washington. He's emerged this year and will probably get to be the head coach of the 49ers, and he's still only 37 years-old.

There will come a time for Steve to embark on his own. But this is a rare chance to be with his dad in an incredibly special time. I wouldn't want to trade it for anything if I were him.

Steve needs to be around the best head coach ever as long as he can. It is tough to learn in a bad situation.

Steve needs to be around the best head coach ever as long as he can. It is tough to learn in a bad situation.

Experiencing failure is part of the process. It's a lot easier and more forgiving to fail as an assistant or coordinator than as a head coach.

Anyone else think there's a chance this kid takes over in 10 years when Bill retires?

Experiencing failure is part of the process. It's a lot easier and more forgiving to fail as an assistant or coordinator than as a head coach.
Disagree. No need to experience failure. Except vicariously. You can learn from other people's failures without having to fail yourself. If you're really honest and introspective you can learn from success too. And that gives you a two-fer, you get to build insights and also a foundation of success leading to bigger opportunities. Problem with failure is that it often leads to lowered expectations and opportunities. Better to succeed than to fail, always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back