PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant wait for all the bozos to complain about not getting a WR early. Followed by calling BB a bad GM. Followed by panicking over irrelevant camp bodies / 3rd stringers getting cut over ST players. Followed by calling BB arrogant and out of touch with modern philosophies. Followed by the usual slow start into a season. Followed by people calling this a 9 win team, but this time for real.

And so on... the annual cycle..
Why do you think so after a Super Bowl win ?
I am optimistic ;)

Why do you think so after a Super Bowl win ?
I am optimistic ;)

Because this is how things go.

You had some clowns starting threads advocating that the team should just trade away all assets and rebuild after 3 games last year. If 7 AFCCGs and 2 out of 4 SBs from 2011 to 2017 didnt make some of the posters trust BB, Caserio & co then last year's SB title won't change any of that either.

But good for you for staying optimistic. Need more of that..

I am curious how much Montez Sweat's stocks are going to fall down. If he is at 32 it might be an interesting option.

Sweats a wild card at this point. You may very well be right all depends on what each team feels about his medicals.
He’s off a lot of teams boards completely. That heart condition is no joke and is so unfortunate to hear.

Won’t shock me if he’s a fourth round pick at the earliest.

I put him on ignore a long time ago, along with Deus, Da Bruinz, and a bunch of others. They won't respond to you once they find out you are ignoring them. :D

Where is the fun in putting people on ignore? I've never felt the need for that.

.....And, if you were going to put someone on ignore, I wouldn't think Deus would be a prime candidate, I frankly find his posts pretty insightful, I think he is one of the more knowledgable posters here. I admit that back in the old days (I've been a visitor on this forum a long, long time) I sometimes thought he could slide into being a bit argumentative, but I don't really feel that way anymore, I'm not sure if he has changed or I have (as I descend into curmudgeonhood). :D

Where is the fun in putting people on ignore? I've never felt the need for that.

.....And, if you were going to put someone on ignore, I wouldn't think Deus would be a prime candidate, I frankly find his posts pretty insightful, I think he is one of the more knowledgable posters here. I admit that back in the old days (I've been a visitor on this forum a long, long time) I sometimes thought he could slide into being a bit argumentative, but I don't really feel that way anymore, I'm not sure if he has changed or I have (as I descend into curmudgeonhood). :D
I agree. No point putting people on ignore. If you don’t want to respond then don’t.

He’s off a lot of teams boards completely. That heart condition is no joke and is so unfortunate to hear.

Won’t shock me if he’s a fourth round pick at the earliest.
I still think he will be a 1st round pick...imho Panthers...

Fant a me-first guy??:confused: They spread the ball around quite well at Iowa.

It was in the draft thread - the only point is that there's a lot we don't know about these guys and that numbers won't tell you.

Your wish to BB's ears as long as it's not a BIG trade up !

Our top 3rd (#73) would get us to #21 with SEA. One of other thirds would get us less. In any case, both SEA and the raiders seem to potential parade partners. The both have 2 picks in the 20's.

I’ve got Chris Lindstrom in my mock and draft game so I kinda hope this is right.

It was in the draft thread - the only point is that there's a lot we don't know about these guys and that numbers won't tell you.

I hope Noah Fant is the pick he's going to be a match-up nightmare. I think he could potentially be a complete TE in time. But right now he's a Travis Kelce type he can run and catch with the best of them. Fant runs like a WR... LB's will cringe when he comes across the formation.

I’m thinking lindstrom or Risner tomorrow night if not a small trade down.

Risner’s A good one because, like Lindstrom, comes with position flex. Not the best athlete in the world but, as in the words of Dante, he’s probably “athletic enough”.

Cant wait for all the bozos to complain about not getting a WR early.
I agree with where you’re going, here, but I think we’ll see a WR in the first two rounds. There are some great prospects, it’s a position of need, and I think that taking one has been the plan throughout the offseason.

IMHO none of valuable DLs will be available at 32 - I mean Tillery/Lawrence/Simmons. Assuming there will not be any trades I would take AJ Brown or N'Keal Harry. However grabbing one of the available OTs ( Lindsrom,Risner ,McGary) seems to be logical.
But who knows what BB is going to do. I would not be shocked if he selects any of Safeties being on the board.

IMHO none of valuable DLs will be available at 32 - I mean Tillery/Lawrence/Simmons. Assuming there will not be any trades I would take AJ Brown or N'Keal Harry. However grabbing one of the available OTs ( Lindsrom,Risner ,McGary) seems to be logical.
But who knows what BB is going to do. I would not be shocked if he selects any of Safeties being on the board.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson feels like a BB pick. In truth, whilst it might not be the biggest need, Thornhill or Savage would get me excited as future McCourty replacements.

I agree with where you’re going, here, but I think we’ll see a WR in the first two rounds. There are some great prospects, it’s a position of need, and I think that taking one has been the plan throughout the offseason.

Sounds a lot like LB last year.

At this point I am with Kyed, Lazar and (sigh) Breer. I think Joejuan Williams is not unlikely very early. From what I can tell based on Lazars tweets he looks poised to fill a pretty relevant role which is (relatively) quick CB that can match up with bigger WRs and TEs.

People will flip over a CB early but looking at how we had troubles against TEs in general (think Ertz in the SB, Ebron last year vs. DMac..) it is a role where someone could contribute almost immediately.

Otherwise Melifonwu is really the only option there.

Lindstrom is the obvious other choice.

All that being said, I would also appreciate a WR early just to kill the otherwise mindnumbing whining and *****ing about BB the GM that would follow in the dead period after the draft and before camp.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson feels like a BB pick. In truth, whilst it might not be the biggest need, Thornhill or Savage would get me excited as future McCourty replacements.
Agree. Taking a safety with 32nd would be a far too early especially there are many interesting prospects including Savage or Thornhill waiting on day 2 or 3. If I roll the dice and point out one particular player taken with 32nd pick it would be Abram.

Sounds a lot like LB last year.

At this point I am with Kyed, Lazar and (sigh) Breer. I think Joejuan Williams is not unlikely very early. From what I can tell based on Lazars tweets he looks poised to fill a pretty relevant role which is (relatively) quick CB that can match up with bigger WRs and TEs.

People will flip over a CB early but looking at how we had troubles against TEs in general (think Ertz in the SB, Ebron last year vs. DMac..) it is a role where someone could contribute almost immediately.

Otherwise Melifonwu is really the only option there.

Lindstrom is the obvious other choice.

All that being said, I would also appreciate a WR early just to kill the otherwise mindnumbing whining and *****ing about BB the GM that would follow in the dead period after the draft and before camp.
I’m thinking that you’re right and that CB is an area that is addressed either Thursday or Friday. I just think that WR is too. They’ve got the capital, they’ve got the (more than) obvious need, and I think there are some quality WRs out there. Just my opinion.

As far as CB goes, I believe that there’s a need there, too. Sure, JMac looked pretty good and was something of a SB hero, but there’s not really anything behind him. If either Gilmore or McC go down, things get dicey very quickly, and that’s not even bringing up the idea for 2020 and beyond. As much as we all hope that Dawson works out, there’s no reason to think that he’s going to be the answer. At least not yet.

If anyone complains tonight, they are jumping the gun. I’m not going to start judging too much until after Friday night, when we’re through 3 full rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News