PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Devil In Stevan Ridley's Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also worth noting that despite some poor run defense numbers last season, the Titans' DL was one of the best at forcing negative runs.

This blog post on DT Sen'Derrick Marks also includes a sidebar on "Team Tackles For Loss or No Gain, 2011 Regular Season." Tennessee finished in the top 5, with 23.2% of rushes being for loss or no gain.

Though Marks ended up missing the game, their DL does force a lot of negative plays in the run game with their aggressiveness. They also get burned by it, which we took advantage of.

Why does this have to be a Green-Ellis versus Ridley thread? There's 15 regular season games left to be played before a proper comparison can be forwarded.

For mine, I enjoyed Green-Ellis and don't care who the back is as long as that back runs well, picks up blitzes and can catch a football where required.

On the other hand, Green-Ellis had 4 runs of 15+ yards all of last season. Ridley had 6 yesterday alone. I'll take the guy who's scarier, even if his worst plays are a little worse.

LOL, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring this up. Being a great RB isn't about getting positive yards on every play. I don't put much weight in the fact that Benji could always fall forward for half a yard when there wasn't much there. I guess it's better than losing a yard or two, but it's not a good trade-off for never getting a big play.

How the hell can you watch that performance by Ridley and come away with 'He can really improve on those negative plays!'. He just put fear in the hearts of our other 11(+) opponents. Benji never did that. Ever.

LOL, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring this up. Being a great RB isn't about getting positive yards on every play. I don't put much weight in the fact that Benji could always fall forward for half a yard when there wasn't much there. I guess it's better than losing a yard or two, but it's not a good trade-off for never getting a big play.

How the hell can you watch that performance by Ridley and come away with 'He can really improve on those negative plays!'. He just put fear in the hearts of our other 11(+) opponents. Benji never did that. Ever.
Conveniently forgetting Green-Ellis' 136 yard 2TD for 5.0YPC performance against the Jets. It's a shame his turf toe kicked in thereafter because he look set for a bigger season.

but he still has room for improvement when it comes to avoiding negative plays.
Barry Sanders led the league in negative yards every year.

Anyway isn't a negative play one that blew up at the OL with some LB steam rolling into the backfield?

Conveniently forgetting Green-Ellis' 136 yard 2TD for 5.0YPC performance against the Jets. It's a shame his turf toe kicked in thereafter because he look set for a bigger season.

Benny never scared anyone unless the los was inside the three. He was what he was, steady, reliable, almost boring in his consistency. A few yards at a time, sure handed bruiser. He never broke many tackles, never made people miss, and didn't have break away speed.

Ridley is dangerous. Get the ball in that kids hands and don't take it away. He may not have true break away speed, but he certainly is a threat for a big play, every play. Consistently makes a man miss (if not a few) and has speed to make it hurt. Hopefully vereen can get out of the damn tub, he would make for an amazing change of pace if he comes as advertised...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Judging by the history of this forum and how it treats running backs in general (e..g, Maroney), there will come a day when Ridley will get bashed in here. Meanwhile, the next Corey Dillon is just about ready to graduate high school, or is in some obscure backwater Div. III school.

Meanwhile, how dare BJGE limit us to a 27-5 record the past two years? Bash on, ladies and gents!

Benny never scared anyone unless the los was inside the three. He was what he was, steady, reliable, almost boring in his consistency. A few yards at a time, sure handed bruiser. He never broke many tackles, never made people miss, and didn't have break away speed.

Ridley is dangerous. Get the ball in that kids hands and don't take it away. He may not have true break away speed, but he certainly is a threat for a big play, every play. Consistently makes a man miss (if not a few) and has speed to make it hurt. Hopefully vereen can get out of the damn tub, he would make for an amazing change of pace if he comes as advertised...

To be honest, all I am reading in this is blah blah blah. The amount of disrespect Green-Ellis continues to receive around here mind boggles. It's right up there with Jerod Mayo not being a playmaker.

He just put fear in the hearts of our other 11(+) opponents. Benji never did that. Ever.

What a scumbag BB was, allowing all those play-actions to occur with BJGE in there. He should have known the DB's would never bite on that.

Meh. Football games aren't decided by how much fear you put in opponents' hearts. Football games are won by being able to get off the field on defense, and being able to stay one the field on offense.

You get first downs, you get to stay on the field for another 4. Do it enough times in a row, and you'll find yourself in the endzone. Big gains are gravy -- making it to the first down marker is the meat and potatoes.

Negative plays get your offense "off-schedule," and kill drives. Long runs are fun to watch, but they don't make up for the loss in expected points from negative gains.

Judging by the history of this forum and how it treats running backs in general (e..g, Maroney), there will come a day when Ridley will get bashed in here. Meanwhile, the next Corey Dillon is just about ready to graduate high school, or is in some obscure backwater Div. III school.

Meanwhile, how dare BJGE limit us to a 27-5 record the past two years? Bash on, ladies and gents!

I'm waiting for that next Ridley fumble or Vereen to miss another game due to injury.

Muhaha

Barry Sanders led the league in negative yards every year.

That kind of high-variance (i.e. boom/bust) production helps make sub-par teams do better, but makes above-average teams perform worse.

So it made sense for Sanders to run that way. If he ever found himself on a better all-around team, he'd have done more to help them by aiming for a steadier, lower-peaks-higher-valleys type of production.

You can read why here.

Quick question for the stat-heads ,how many runs of over 12 yards did Ridley have Sunday? How many did Lawfirm have last year?

Last edited:

No, I'm not forgetting that. He had a good game. I doubt many people expected a repeat performance. I think a lot of people are expecting a repeat from Ridley.

What a scumbag BB was, allowing all those play-actions to occur with BJGE in there. He should have known the DB's would never bite on that.

They'll bite harder with Ridley in the backfield, guaranteed.

Meh. Football games aren't decided by how much fear you put in opponents' hearts. Football games are won by being able to get off the field on defense, and being able to stay one the field on offense.

You get first downs, you get to stay on the field for another 4. Do it enough times in a row, and you'll find yourself in the endzone. Big gains are gravy -- making it to the first down marker is the meat and potatoes.

Negative plays get your offense "off-schedule," and kill drives. Long runs are fun to watch, but they don't make up for the loss in expected points from negative gains.

Overanalyze much? Jeez. I just meant that people are going to start paying more attention to Ridley after that performance. A luxury we haven't had since Dillon left.

I gotta "blame" the negative plays on the OL's growing pains. I put blame in quotes since crap happens, and I'm pleased with the OL's performance on Sunday.

I also gotta give the OL a lot of credit for the big runs.

And I also give credit to Ridley for taking more than what was given him. I think he's better after contact than BJGE.

That kind of high-variance (i.e. boom/bust) production helps make sub-par teams do better, but makes above-average teams perform worse.

So it made sense for Sanders to run that way. If he ever found himself on a better all-around team, he'd have done more to help them by aiming for a steadier, lower-peaks-higher-valleys type of production.

You can read why here.

The problem is you have to assume that Player A (BJGE) and Player B (SR) have essentially identical production for your high-var vs. low-var statement to be true. Seeing that Ridley has much better productivity renders your statement moot...in this case.

To be honest, all I am reading in this is blah blah blah. The amount of disrespect Green-Ellis continues to receive around here mind boggles. It's right up there with Jerod Mayo not being a playmaker.

How was any of that disrespectful? I think it was a pretty fair description of bennies performance here. He wasn't flashy, rarely broke a big run, but consistently got a handful of hard fought yards without fumbling.

With regard to the number of negative plays Ridley had compared to BJGE, think of how many of Ridley's runs on Sunday were toss sweeps and other outside runs, which are far more boom or bust than straight ahead runs and prone to tackles for losses. BJGE, on the other hand, generally ran straight ahead, so he was MUCH less likely to ever be stopped for a loss, and he was running behind Waters.

What do you want? He's an average NFL starting RB who put up 1 decent season for us. They way you defend him it's as if you want him inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame. Are you related to him or something?

The problem is you have to assume that Player A (BJGE) and Player B (SR) have essentially identical production for your high-var vs. low-var statement to be true. Seeing that Ridley has much better productivity renders your statement moot...in this case.

You'd be surprised how much value there is in keeping the offense on schedule in terms of expected points added.

Take Ridley and BJGE's respective performances this weekend:

SR - 21 carries, 125 yards, 6 ypc
BJGE - 18 carries, 91 yards, 5.1 ypc

And yet BJGE led the league with 8.8 Expected Points Added, with Ridley not far behind at 4th with 6.9 EPA.

BJGE had no carries for zero or negative yards compared to Ridley's 5. More of BJGE's 1 and 2 yard gainers came in short yardage situations. Meanwhile, in 10-yards-to-gain situations, Ridley had a lot of -1, 0, 1 and 2 while BJGE tended to the 2,3 and 4 range.

Now Ridley did have 6 gains of 10+ yards compared to BJGE's 3, but it wasn't enough to make up for his greater tendency to get the offense off schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes