PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Devil In Stevan Ridley's Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont want to compare him to Maroney, but if memory serves i should...

maroney when he first started was similar, a guy who would get 6+ yds or 1 to neg.

then as time passed his good runs decreased, his bad ones increased

let us hope that Ridley faces the opposite future, but his current trend does remind me of Maroney

First of all...Ridley seems far more decisive and physical.

2nd. This was his first game carrying the load and if he had any bad runs then they were due to not having anywhere to go.

People need to chill the **** out with this BJGE nonsense. He is gone and to me it looks like we have a much more talented player in his place.

If we think the coaching staff is not incompetent, then the fact that BenJarvis Green-Ellis never received regular touches is an important stat in its own right.

He's carried 20 or more times in only 6 games.

Points of comparison:
In three years in New Engalnd, Corey Dillon had 19 such games.
Antowain Smith had 15 such games.
Laurence Maroney had 8 such games.

Will Ridley end up deserving more carries? So far so good this year.

I'd like to point out that post 2007 we've had a pro style spread offense that leaned heavily on the throw. Prior to that year, we ran a lot. Those are the Smith and Dillon years.

So during the pro style era, e.g., 2007 - present, we've only had one 1,000 yard rusher. Not to say that we won't immediately have another in Ridley this coming year, but whether by consistency or having the ability to be tenacious, I think it's not fair to not give BJGE some due credit.

First of all...Ridley seems far more decisive and physical.

2nd. This was his first game carrying the load and if he had any bad runs then they were due to not having anywhere to go.

People need to chill the **** out with this BJGE nonsense. He is gone and to me it looks like we have a much more talented player in his place.
People should apply that same rationale to Chris Johnson's performance on the weekend. The Patriots run stuffing front was damn impressive (even more so on the All 22 footage).

As for Benny randomk1, it's not nonsense when a player is openly derided for no real good reason other than homerism.

Last edited:
That is complete bull.

So you're saying the likes of Moss, Welker, & co. really had to have someone bite real bad in order to break clean? Come on.

No, not really. He is a really good short yardage back though.

That was said in jest fully knowing what your response was going to be. Sorry that went over your head. You still haven't accepted that since 2004 up to now which is a period of EIGHT YEARS, we've only had one 1,000 yard rusher.

As for Benny randomk1, it's not nonsense when a player is openly derided for no real good reason other than homerism.

My comment went both ways.

BJGE was one of my favorite guys on the team. Great teammate,great person and as an UDFA he really stepped up for us.

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that post 2007 we've had a pro style spread offense that leaned heavily on the throw. Prior to that year, we ran a lot. Those are the Smith and Dillon years.

So during the pro style era, e.g., 2007 - present, we've only had one 1,000 yard rusher. Not to say that we won't immediately have another in Ridley this coming year, but whether by consistency or having the ability to be tenacious, I think it's not fair to not give BJGE some due credit.

Okay, but then do we need to give Laurence Maroney some due credit? He got more work in the same offense.

Their yards per attempt are pretty close, 4.05 vs. 4.08. And Maroney had about twice as many catches.

My comment went both ways.

BJGE was one of my favorite guys on the team. Great teammate,great person and as an UDFA he really stepped up for us.
That wasn't directed at you (my apologies if that was the inference) more the people who continually deride Green-Ellis' accomplishments as if some random hobo from the street could have performed to his level. Much like you, I am a Green-Ellis fan and wish him well. That said, I'm more than happy to upgrade every position if opportunity presents and our current RBs give hope for optimism.

Okay, but then do we need to give Laurence Maroney some due credit? He got more work in the same offense.

Their yards per attempt are pretty close, 4.05 vs. 4.08. And Maroney had about twice as many catches.

I suppose so, but whether due to health, circumstance, or something else, he never broke that 1,000 yard milestone, which to me suggest that it's more or less not so easy to do, at least in our system.

Ridley was only even partly responsible for one negative play. BJGE also got stopped behind the line sometimes. This entire debate is pretty pointless.

Lawfirm is a drive killer period. But he never fumbles you say. I say you cant fumble if youre already down. No big play ability. No clock killing ability. No fear of a big run. Worthless worthless running back.

On the first run, Ridley needed 1 yard (2nd and 1) and he didn't get it:

BpGIi.jpg

As you can see, there wasn't a whole lot more that he could have done, realistically. On the very next play, he went for 17 yards on 3rd and 1.

Nice screenshots, but smaller next time please. my laptop screen wouldnt' handle very well.

Certainly that first shot shows Ridley trying to follow the blocker who has the Defenders hands so far up his facemask that his head is torqued back and he is practically falling backwards. Kind of hard to make yards that way; Hey Refs, - can I get a call here???

overall good evidence of some poor blocking accounting for most of the poorer runs.

Overall I think Ridley is an upgrade on BJGE in all areas but possibly one: BALL SECURITY. And that one Ridley gets an I - Incomplete. I hope he earns an A- or BB wont let him stay on the field.

It was proven wrong last year and it will continue to be proven wrong as long as Green-Ellis continues to perform. Do not blame others for your incorrect assessment of the Law Firm.

As for this discussion, I don't understand why it has to be a denigrate one to praise another. It's perfectly acceptable to praise all involved. I'm happy for Green-Ellis to go on to enjoy a meaningful career with the Bengals as I am happy for Ridley or Vereen to turn into a stud for New England.

His career in NE only validates my viewpoint. He was 16th and 27th in rushing yards the last two years, and 16th and 46th in yards per carry (among guys with over 100 carries). That makes him a pretty average back statistically. He had the good fortune of playing for one of the best offenses in the league, so he got a lot of goalline opportunities, leading to good TD numbers. Nice little bonus, but his running skills and production are average compared to other NFL starting RBs. He's a serviceable starter. That's what I claimed and history bears it out.

Why is it denigrating to to call a guy what he is?

So you're saying the likes of Moss, Welker, & co. really had to have someone bite real bad in order to break clean? Come on.

I'm saying the more the defense respects the run, the easier the PA game will be to execute. How the heck can you argue against that?

That was said in jest fully knowing what your response was going to be. Sorry that went over your head. You still haven't accepted that since 2004 up to now which is a period of EIGHT YEARS, we've only had one 1,000 yard rusher.

The only thing I don't accept is that Green-Ellis did anything special in this system. I've already shown that Maroney and Sammy Morris had similar success to Green-Ellis in this system. I put Green-Ellis about in the same category as those two, talent-wise. I'd rather have Green-Ellis due to his ball security and short yardage prowess, but he's about in the same ballpark as those two.

Seeing that he's in Cincy now, Belichick was in agreement with me as well.

The only thing I don't accept is that Green-Ellis did anything special in this system. I've already shown that Maroney and Sammy Morris had similar success to Green-Ellis in this system. I put Green-Ellis about in the same category as those two, talent-wise. I'd rather have Green-Ellis due to his ball security and short yardage prowess, but he's about in the same ballpark as those two.

Seeing that he's in Cincy now, Belichick was in agreement with me as well.

You're grouping him with a bunch of RBs who never broke 1,000 or got 10+ TDs? :rolleyes:

IMO your overestimating it. Those short runs are going to put you in a ton of 3rd down situations, regardless of distance. Even if they're all 3rd and short chances are you're not gonna convert 4 to 5 3rd downs on a drive. You need big chunks of yardages if you want a td drive.

Big chunks of yardage are great if they con't come at the expense of consistency. This is a measurable truth both for the running and passing games. This is why modern NFL offenses concentrate more on maintaining a high completion percentage and less on throwing downfield.

I'm saying the more the defense respects the run, the easier the PA game will be to execute. How the heck can you argue against that?

That's not what you were talking about initially. You were talking about biting on the PA and I replied that with an elite offense like ours, it only takes a slight bite for our offense players to gain a big advantage. It's not like we're the Browns offense.

That's not what you were talking about initially. You were talking about biting on the PA and I replied that with an elite offense like ours, it only takes a slight bite for our offense players to gain a big advantage. It's not like we're the Browns offense.

Now you're just talking semantics. Bite harder, more likely to bite, more likely to be out of position, more likely to be cheating up on a potential run down. Whatever. Same thing.

Better run game = better PA. That's football 101.

As far as Ridley, when you break a few 15-20 yarders and average 6 a carry, that is different also.
In fact, Andy, ESPN carried this tid bit today:

"Ridley had five carries that went for 15 yards or more. No Patriots running back in at least the past 25 years has done that in a single game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Not John Stephens, not Curtis Martin, not Corey Dillon.

You're grouping him with a bunch of RBs who never broke 1,000 or got 10+ TDs? :rolleyes:

I'm comparing him to guys who played at an equivalent level on the same team.

As opposed to Ridley who has played at a higher level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore