PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Stock up and stock down

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Wanted to see how many people agree or disagree after watching the game yesterday. Basically what players/position groups/coaches trended in the positive direction and which one in the negative.

Stock up:
The defense as a whole. Held an explosive offense to just 18 points and even 9 of those points were field goals of 48, 51, and 56 yards. Timely sack on that first drive by Judon to hold them to 3. The big hit by Peppers that forced the Hurts fumble. The 4th down stop. Statically over the last few years we have had some good defenses but would then no-show against elite teams with great offenses but that was not the case today.

Kendrick Bourne. He did have that 3rd and 12 drop on a what would have been a tough catch but overall he looked like our best receiver. Finally out of the dog house and he produced 2 touchdown catches and played a good amount of snaps.

Demario Douglas. 4 catches for 40 yards on 7 targets isn't exactly worth highlighting on the stat sheet but it is good to see a rookie receiver on this team earning snaps and making some plays. Definitely something to build on.

Hunter Henry. Big catches in some critical spots. That catch on 4th down was ridiculous and he hung onto some catches over the middle which is something we have been lacking for a while. By almost all accounts he had a great summer so I was glad to see him keep that momentum into week 1.

Stock down:
Mac Jones. Overall he didn't play a terrible game but he put us in a hole to start with with that high throw that resulted in a pick 6. In the "got to have it" moments he always seems to come up short. In his third year as a starter we can't really keep hanging our hat on moral victories. Botched the 2 point attempt that would have cut it to a 3 point lead. Got the ball with 3 and a half minutes down 5 after the Hurts fumble and came away with no points. Got the ball back with 2 minutes down 5 at our own 45 and came away with no points. His arm strength is also pretty concerning as there were some passes that took quite a while to get where they needed to be. The deep shot to Bourne floated too long and gave Slay a chance break up the pass and that 4th and long pass Henry dropped took foreeeeevvvvvveeerrr to get there. If everything around Mac is perfect then he can be a good QB but things won't be perfect all the time and he just can't seem to improvise when needed.

Juju Smith-Schuster: Played only 54 percent of the snaps and wasn't on the field in crucial moments at the end of the game. A third down drop (wasn't a great throw but still very catchable) and he looked slow on that crossing route that he caught. Hoping it is a conditioning thing (even though Bill somewhat seemed to dismiss that idea) but based on everything I heard/read on Juju this summer he didn't seem to do much then either.

Bill Belichick: The defensive game plan was good but why didn't we kick a field goal with 9 minutes left on 4th and 3? Why didn't we punt on 4th and 17 with 3 timeouts? Bill wasn't terrible by any means but I hold Bill to a significantly higher standard than pretty much anyone else so it was odd to see some of those decisions he made especially with the defense playing the way it was.

UP:

BoB - Some are *****ing about too much reliance on screens. He was trying to protect a makeshift OL with two rookies from one of the best DL in football. Play calling doesn't occur in a vacuum. Bottom line, we saw a professional looking offense!

OL - Not great but exceeded expectations by A LOT.

Defense - I don't want to kill any erections, but Philly may have been a little conservative because of the weather, and they played zero snaps in the preseason. Some rust. However, this defense looks like it could be special.

Rookie Class - Wow. Keion White is a stud. Gonzalez and Douglas look like they will be excellent contributors already. The punter is good. The two guards were very respectable in a tough opening game spot. Mapu made some plays. The kicker remains to be seen. And I wouldn't be too down on Boutte. If he has matured and has a head on his shoulders, he will learn from this game and come back stronger.

DOWN:

None. I am a homer.

Regarding Mac: He showed flashes of what we all hope he can be. In the first quarter, he appeared gun shy and a little ****ified in the pocket throwing off his back foot. Maybe he had PTSD from last season. The rest of the game was a huge improvement. If he can develop consistency and trust in the pocket, there is still hope for him.

Rookie Class - Wow. Keion White is a stud. Gonzalez and Douglas look like they will be excellent contributors already. The punter is good. The two guards were very respectable in a tough opening game spot. Mapu made some plays. The kicker remains to be seen. And I wouldn't be too down on Boutte. If he has matured and has a head on his shoulders, he will learn from this game and come back stronger.

This is a winner.

Up (Defense):
Gonzalez
White
Peppers
Bentley
Judon

Down (Defense):
Struggling to find a true down on defense. The 2 penalties that kept the eagles on the field (Wise and Dugger maybe)

Overall D was pretty darn solid

If it was possible for Patricia to look more idiotic it was Bourne’s great game. They buried our best receiver on the depth chart last season.

I didn't see the tape or watch him, but I think Sow was excellent.

I see him as a possible future all star guard. He's a beast of a run blocker, as a guard, though.

UP:

BoB - Some are *****ing about too much reliance on screens. He was trying to protect a makeshift OL with two rookies from one of the best DL in football. Play calling doesn't occur in a vacuum. Bottom line, we saw a professional looking offense!

Defense - I don't want to kill any erections, but Philly may have been a little conservative because of the weather, and they played zero snaps in the preseason. Some rust. However, this defense looks like it could be special.

DOWN:

None. I am a homer.

Regarding Mac: He showed flashes of what we all hope he can be. In the first quarter, he appeared gun shy and a little ****ified in the pocket throwing off his back foot. Maybe he had PTSD from last season. The rest of the game was a huge improvement. If he can develop consistency and trust in the pocket, there is still hope for him.
The rookie class I am in complete agreement on. Gonzo played 100% of the snaps from what I saw and had a sack and the big 4th down stop. Keion White looked like he bullied Lane Johnson a couple times and looks to be more athletic than he was billed coming out of college. I think every rookie outside of Bolden played.

Up (Offense):
8 min. mark 2nd Q to 3 min. mark 4th Q Mac Jones
Bourne
Douglas
Henry
OL Pass Protection

Down (Offense):
The rest of Mac Jones
OL run blocking
Bouttes feet…still high on his potential and future
1st quarter Zeke

Up (Offense):
Bourne
Douglas
Henry
OL Pass Protection

Down (Offense):
The rest of Mac Jones
OL run blocking
1st quarter Zeke
UP
Anderson
Klemm
All the rookies, except Boutte.

DOWN
Boutte
Schuster
===========
SIDE ISSUE - MAC
Our QB was much, much better than in 2022.
Our QB was OK given that the new patchwork OL and new offense.
He did well against one of top defense in the league.

Up (Offense):
Bourne
Douglas
Henry
OL Pass Protection

Down (Offense):
The rest of Mac Jones
OL run blocking
1st quarter Zeke
The run blocking is a good call out. There was absolutely no room to run for most of the day. I think Zeke broke off a 10 yard run at some point but that was about it.

Seriously? Mac Jones down after last year. People need to realize that the whole team is responsible for comebacks as well. I don’t see an Edelman, White or Gronk on this team. The catch Henry made on 4th down is stuff other teams do consistently to extend drives. Boutte dots his feet earlier and it’s a big 3rd down conversion, he drags his back foot in the 4th and the Pats might win.
My downs would be the running game as a whole, blocking and executing.
Then not taking the field goal. Bill should have tried to draw them offside in the 4th and 3 and taken the 5 yard penalty if he had to, as it still would have been an easy kick. Also, the refs calling a suspect hold on Henry and then allowing Jorgensen to hog tie Godchaux on the Hurts scramble. They also allowed the Eagles left tackle to line up illegally for half the game.

Wanted to see how many people agree or disagree after watching the game yesterday. Basically what players/position groups/coaches trended in the positive direction and which one in the negative.

Stock up:
The defense as a whole. Held an explosive offense to just 18 points and even 9 of those points were field goals of 48, 51, and 56 yards. Timely sack on that first drive by Judon to hold them to 3. The big hit by Peppers that forced the Hurts fumble. The 4th down stop. Statically over the last few years we have had some good defenses but would then no-show against elite teams with great offenses but that was not the case today.

Kendrick Bourne. He did have that 3rd and 12 drop on a what would have been a tough catch but overall he looked like our best receiver. Finally out of the dog house and he produced 2 touchdown catches and played a good amount of snaps.

Demario Douglas. 4 catches for 40 yards on 7 targets isn't exactly worth highlighting on the stat sheet but it is good to see a rookie receiver on this team earning snaps and making some plays. Definitely something to build on.

Hunter Henry. Big catches in some critical spots. That catch on 4th down was ridiculous and he hung onto some catches over the middle which is something we have been lacking for a while. By almost all accounts he had a great summer so I was glad to see him keep that momentum into week 1.

Stock down:
Mac Jones. Overall he didn't play a terrible game but he put us in a hole to start with with that high throw that resulted in a pick 6. In the "got to have it" moments he always seems to come up short. In his third year as a starter we can't really keep hanging our hat on moral victories. Botched the 2 point attempt that would have cut it to a 3 point lead. Got the ball with 3 and a half minutes down 5 after the Hurts fumble and came away with no points. Got the ball back with 2 minutes down 5 at our own 45 and came away with no points. His arm strength is also pretty concerning as there were some passes that took quite a while to get where they needed to be. The deep shot to Bourne floated too long and gave Slay a chance break up the pass and that 4th and long pass Henry dropped took foreeeeevvvvvveeerrr to get there. If everything around Mac is perfect then he can be a good QB but things won't be perfect all the time and he just can't seem to improvise when needed.

Juju Smith-Schuster: Played only 54 percent of the snaps and wasn't on the field in crucial moments at the end of the game. A third down drop (wasn't a great throw but still very catchable) and he looked slow on that crossing route that he caught. Hoping it is a conditioning thing (even though Bill somewhat seemed to dismiss that idea) but based on everything I heard/read on Juju this summer he didn't seem to do much then either.

Bill Belichick: The defensive game plan was good but why didn't we kick a field goal with 9 minutes left on 4th and 3? Why didn't we punt on 4th and 17 with 3 timeouts? Bill wasn't terrible by any means but I hold Bill to a significantly higher standard than pretty much anyone else so it was odd to see some of those decisions he made especially with the defense playing the way it was.
How are you blaming Jones for Boutte not knowing you have to keep both feet inbounds on a catch? Jones threw him a perfect ball, and if he'd done what any NFL receiver would have done, would have set them up 1st and goal at the 8 with 30 seconds and a TO left.

UP:

DOWN:

None. I am a homer.

Totally agree on Mac. No preseason starts at all right? So he played as I expected for his first game at full speed. Cleaned it up after that and the line played better.

I should revise mine to 8 min mark of 2nd quarter to end of game mac Jones. 1st quarter Mac was not very good though. But overall, I’m intrigued with where he’s at, and am looking forward to next week to see how he builds on week 1

How are you blaming Jones for Boutte not knowing you have to keep both feet inbounds on a catch? Jones threw him a perfect ball, and if he'd done what any NFL receiver would have done, would have set them up 1st and goal at the 8 with 30 seconds and a TO left

Seriously? Mac Jones down after last year. People need to realize that the whole team is responsible for comebacks as well. I don’t see an Edelman, White or Gronk on this team. The catch Henry made on 4th down is stuff other teams do consistently to extend drives. Boutte dots his feet earlier and it’s a big 3rd down conversion, he drags his back foot in the 4th and the Pats might win.
My downs would be the running game as a whole, blocking and executing.
Then not taking the field goal. Bill should have tried to draw them offside in the 4th and 3 and taken the 5 yard penalty if he had to, as it still would have been an easy kick. Also, the refs calling a suspect hold on Henry and then allowing Jorgensen to hog tie Godchaux on the Hurts scramble. They also allowed the Eagles left tackle to line up illegally for half the game.

I am not blaming Mac for something Boutte did (or didnt do). I am blaming him for throwing a pick 6 to put us in a hole to start the game. I am blaming him for having 2 gift wrapped chances to win with the game on the line and not getting it done. Mac seems to get excuses made for him and credit for these moral victories but at some point he needs to be the reason we win the game if he is going to be "the guy". We are now 0-11 in games where the other team scores 25+ or more points. Mac put us in a hole from the get go and this team isn't built to come from behind.

I am not blaming Mac for something Boutte did (or didnt do). I am blaming him for throwing a pick 6 to put us in a hole to start the game. I am blaming him for having 2 gift wrapped chances to win with the game on the line and not getting it done. Mac seems to get excuses made for him and credit for these moral victories but at some point he needs to be the reason we win the game if he is going to be "the guy". We are now 0-11 in games where the other team scores 25+ or more points. Mac put us in a hole from the get go and this team isn't built to come from behind.

The god himself TB12 threw pick sixes, some of them at awful times. He came back from them. Mac did the same yesterday. He did what he had to do to have them on the doorstep of winning. If Boutte had played that an NFL receiver instead of a college one, he had them first and goal on the eight with 30 seconds left.

This is silly reductionist fantasy football thinking that it's a binary choice, either Mac WON the game or Mac LOST the game. It refuses to acknowledge that there are innumerable moving parts involved and they ALL have to work, not just Mac.

The god himself TB12 threw pick sixes, some of them at awful times. He came back from them. Mac did the same yesterday. He did what he had to do to have them on the doorstep of winning. If Boutte had played that an NFL receiver instead of a college one, he had them first and goal on the eight with 30 seconds left.

This is silly reductionist fantasy football thinking that it's a binary choice, either Mac WON the game or Mac LOST the game. It refuses to acknowledge that there are innumerable moving parts involved and they ALL have to work, not just Mac.
That is the problem. Mac will be on the doorstep but can never enter the house. Brady threw pick sixes but Brady has more comeback wins than anyone. Mac doesn't come from behind. I don't know how I am the one who is a reductionist when you're basically saying if Boutte got his other foot in Mac would have ended up getting the win. What in Mac's resume makes you so sure he was going to throw a TD if Boutte's catch counted? I am not saying he definitely wouldn't have but I wouldn't bet money on him throwing the game winner.

The run blocking is a good call out. There was absolutely no room to run for most of the day.

Mac time to throw - around 2.5 seconds. Everyone (and that includes the Eagles) knew there would be a lot of screens and quick passes. So logically they crowded the short and intermediate routes. So always running into a heavy box with a makeshift OL with our two best guards out and a RT that had barely played.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back