PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Case to Sign QB Jacoby Brissett

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The Colts added Wentz, and Brissett is 28 years old and an unrestricted free agent now.

Here's the case:
- Brissett is only 28 years old, knows the Pats system and has won games here
- Brissett takes care of the ball. Career stats as a 60% passer, 31 TDs and 13 INTs is pretty good.
- Brissett played 15 games in 2019 and was only sacked 27 times. Hopefully gets the ball out faster now.
- Bill Parcells coached this kid down in Florida as he came up and said he has the same elite leadership qualities of a Tedy Bruschi, McGinest, Troy Brown type.

Stats link:

I also wouldn't be opposed to not overpaying for either JimmyG or Trubisky who both are decent in terms of TD/int ratio.

If this belongs in another thread please move.

Last edited:
A 60% passer isn't that good tbh.

He’s a JAG, but they don’t have many options left if they want to go the veteran stopgap route.

I'd much prefer him as a bridge QB option over guys like Fitzmagic or Alex Smith. I think he'd be a solid but unspectacular bridge QB for 1-2 years, while we first address other weaknesses. Jimmy G would be a better choice, if he is cut. I hate to give up assets in trade for him, though.

Why didnt the Colts keep him.

That whole Dorsett/ Brissett trade was a 5hitshow.

Cam newton might be able to give you what Jacoby Brissett can just cheaper.

Brissett took a colts team from Andrew luck and threw 13 total TDs. His best year he threw 18.

1. Okay Cam’s 31 and likely cheaper.

2. No he won exactly one game here on a team that 2 QB’s won games with and if he didn’t start we’d have been 15-1.

3. Brissett struggled and kept a much more talented team out of the playoffs

I heard someone saying the other day, I think it might have been Breer that the Pats were very low on Brissett which is why they traded him away so soon after drafting him. They felt he just could not pick things up at an NFL level. I doubt he is on their radar at all.

The Case to Sign QB Jacoby Brissett​

giphy.webp

Who was the offensive coordinator the year Brissett was drafted?

I heard someone saying the other day, I think it might have been Breer that the Pats were very low on Brissett which is why they traded him away so soon after drafting him. They felt he just could not pick things up at an NFL level. I doubt he is on their radar at all.
The hot tip on Brissett came via high recommendation from Tuna Parcells.

Tuna knows Brisetts Father from when he was living in Florida. Tuna was no QB whisperer either.

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me to see him back here, even as a back-up/competition. I don't think he's getting a lot of money at this point. The Colts way overpaid him.

What do people here think his next contract will look like? 2/10?

Better than Cam, Stidham and Hoyer COMBINED. If he is available without trading our draft capital then I'm ALL IN.

Who else is going to sign here?

Pats are playing musical chairs and will be left standing without a QB once this is finished.

Only scenario I could see that would make sense to me here: Sign Jacoby to a reasonable 2-year deal (something you can easily get out of in year 2, if you can), so that there's a veteran QB here when you're trying to lure FA WR/TE. Not saying everyone is lining up to play with Jacoby, but at least he helps if you're paying market dollar. Then you draft a kid for the future, and if Jimmy gets released you make a move for him now that you have more weapons and history to help sell him on New England. Brissett is a good backup, the draftee is either your default #3 with a chance to beat out Brissett for #2 whenever he's ready to (if he's taken in the early rounds), or if he's taken in the mid rounds, he competes with Stidham for that #3 job.

I just can't see a scenario where Brissett as plan A is the best idea. He's just too limited, it would be Cam 2.0 (which I may prefer, depending on money differences).

Jacoby takes a lot of sacks... means he can't get the ball out or he can't make decisions quick enough... He's a back up, not a starter...

Pats need to take a run at Jameis Winston... they should have brought him in last year...

That was certainly the rumor at the end of 2017 training camp prior to their trading him. Since then, Brissett has showed himself to at least be NFL backup level with the Colts. So the Patriots view may have changed since then, that they thought he wasn’t good enough to play in the NFL but his performance with the Colts may have changed that. We‘ll see.

Jacoby takes a lot of sacks... means he can't get the ball out or he can't make decisions quick enough... He's a back up, not a starter...

Pats need to take a run at Jameis Winston... they should have brought him in last year...
Good God... could you imagine the amount of INTs Winston would have thrown with pure amount of **** we had at WR and TE? He may have eclipsed 30. Also, Massachusetts has some delicious crab leg joints. He’d have been arrested for a dine and dash before even setting foot in Gillette.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back