PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2022 Draft Binky Thread

Presently i have about 5 players who could reasonably be on the board at 21 I would have a hard time passing on. Booth, Williams, Davis, Burkes and possibly Olave.
Looking at the Draft Tek trade value chart, our 21 is pretty close in value to Denver's second round picks of 40 and 64.
My question is this. Is this the year to trade back into the second round?
I feel like other than the 5 i mentioned above, I would rather wait until day 2 and get the extra pick.
Thoughts?
I always want more 2nd round picks. There's always a good case to do so. You only have 8-12 prospects worth a first round pick. Trading back makes a lot of sense in this draft in particular. It's lacking "star power" if you will. Not incredibly top heavy. I'd trade up for Karlaftis, Hutchinson, Hamilton, Stingley or one of the big three tackles.

I'd pass on Olave in RD1. I'd only take Williams, Wilson or Burks RD1. One of them and Robinson, Phillips or Austin later would complete the offense providing the OL is intact. We drafted a QB so I have no problem throwing the kitchen sink at the offense to help him.

One of them might fall to RD2? We could take Booth and try to trade up for one of them.

With this draft, there is no reason why we can’t stay in our assigned slots and get 4 quality players that can contribute next year.

With this draft, there is no reason why we can’t stay in our assigned slots and get 4 quality players that can contribute next year.
Fair enough. I totally get that and full disclosure i think this is best strategy most years only to be disappointed when BB drafts someone not on my radar.
Believe me, I would be thrilled if a player dropped to us too good to as pass on ( like Jameson Williams who is a game changing play maker we presently do not have),but there really are not that many players that fall into that category. With the number of holes to fill, it may be more beneficial to take the chance and get an extra pick. It looks like the strength of this draft is more the depth, than high end blue chip prosects.
Of course, finding a willing partner may not be that easy.

Every goddamned year. We don’t need to trade down to get 2 inferior players at 40 and 64, when really good talent is available at 21. So tired of this strategy that hasn’t worked for the Pats since 2013. Let’s take the best player available at 21. We need explosive offensive weapons, or explosive defensive players. Enough of these ******** trade downs that very rarely work out.
Just FYI, the Pats only traded down in the 1st round once since 2013, when they did it in 2020 to pick Dugger. Our recent issues have been not picking the right players in the 1st round, rather than trading down for inferior talent.
2014: stayed put and drafted Dominique Easley.
2015: had planned to trade down until Malcom Brown fell; probably would have been better served trading down…..
2016: no 1st rounder because of Goodell.
2017: no 1st rounder because they traded it for Brandin Cooks
2018: stayed put and drafted Isaiah Wynn with the pick they got for trading Cooks, and stayed put and drafted Sony Michel with their own.
2019: stayed put and drafted N’Keal Harry
2020: trade down which was used on Kyle Dugger
2021: stayed put and drafted Mac Jones

Just FYI, the Pats only traded down in the 1st round once since 2013, when they did it in 2020 to pick Dugger. Our recent issues have been not picking the right players in the 1st round, rather than trading down for inferior talent.
2014: stayed put and drafted Dominique Easley.
2015: had planned to trade down until Malcom Brown fell; probably would have been better served trading down…..
2016: no 1st rounder because of Goodell.
2017: no 1st rounder because they traded it for Brandin Cooks
2018: stayed put and drafted Isaiah Wynn with the pick they got for trading Cooks, and stayed put and drafted Sony Michel with their own.
2019: stayed put and drafted N’Keal Harry
2020: trade down which was used on Kyle Dugger
2021: stayed put and drafted Mac Jones
The number of first rd picks still on our team is really low Even if we count Harry which we shouldn’t because he is a waste of a roster spot and Wynn did exactly give hope for a long term stay this season

The number of first rd picks still on our team is really low Even if we count Harry which we shouldn’t because he is a waste of a roster spot and Wynn did exactly give hope for a long term stay this season

Excellent point! Nothing kills a dynasty faster than bad drafting!

Seven out of the past dozen drafts we have taken a defensive back in the second round and only one has actually contributed to the roster. We spent a first round pick in a guy coming off two acl surgeries! We drafted a wide receiver that could not get open if he was being coveted by a fire hydrant!

Didn’t Einstein say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

On the bright side - Another good wolf draft and our roster will continue being upgraded and replenished with athletes that will make us a better and deeper team!

Excellent point! Nothing kills a dynasty faster than bad drafting!

Seven out of the past dozen drafts we have taken a defensive back in the second round and only one has actually contributed to the roster. We spent a first round pick in a guy coming off two acl surgeries! We drafted a wide receiver that could not get open if he was being coveted by a fire hydrant!

Didn’t Einstein say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

On the bright side - Another good wolf draft and our roster will continue being upgraded and replenished with athletes that will make us a better and deeper team!

Yes insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again, like repeating that the Pats had poor drafts for 5+ years, or the Pats are awful at drafting 2nd round defensive backs over and over and over and over and over and over again. :)

Yes insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again, like repeating that the Pats had poor drafts for 5+ years, or the Pats are awful at drafting 2nd round defensive backs over and over and over and over and over and over again. :)
1644332348824.png

Offensively - George Pickens

Defensively - Sauce Gardner

Subject to change, of course, after pro days and the Combine.

Last edited:
defense - Travis Jones, Leo Chenal, Channing Tindall, nick bonitto

Offenes- sky Moore , Bernhard Raimann ( what a great name) , Williams

I'll probably change this as I study more players - and I'm not considering their fit with the Pats really - but a few guys I really like are Trent McDuffie, John Metchie, Marcus Jones, Chad Muma, Wan'Dale Robinson.

Last time I predicted a WR as a binky it was Deebo Samuel. But obviously I have no idea WTF Patriots scouts/BB are thinking for the WR position so why bother?

So instead I'm going to pick LB Nakobe Dean as my binky. He's everything that this slow defense needs to cope with the modern NFL. He's fast, athletic, good in coverage, and has the speed to cover passing routes or wide run plays to the outside.

His only weakness is his size at 6' 225 lbs. And that's probably the only reason he should make it into the 20's. My fear is that BB's love of slow, big linebackers will make him overlook a guy who could really plug in the holes in a defense that looked way too slow and overmatched against Buffalo in our two losses against them. This is a guy who can contain and punish Josh Allen when he roams from the pocket, or knock down passes in the flat/inside routes. I think he could probably gain 10-15 lbs in a good pro strength and conditioning program but he probably doesn't get any bigger than 6' 240 lbs while maintaining his quickness which makes him so special in coverage and sideline to sideline linebacker role.

It also helps that he's from a big time program in Georgia, so he will be no stranger to big game situations. Did I mention that he will relieve some double team pressure from Judon by also contributing to the pass rush from the weak side? Let's get him in a Patriots uniform, BB!

Scouting reports.

I will go with

Christian Watson - WR
Jesse Luketa -LB

Christian Watson, WR NDSU
Kyle Philips WR UCLA

Seven out of the past dozen drafts we have taken a defensive back in the second round and only one has actually contributed to the roster.
FWIW. one was an unpredictable injury bust (Dowling missed a few games at UVA, but not enough for a red flag). OTOH at least two were complete WTF picks.

i have to wonder whether the problem is bad data or bad process (as BB has said, deciding whether you should take, say, CB3 or OT4 or whatever) or a combination of both..

Favorite draft players for the patriots (does not include players we no real shot at drafting)

Qb - Perry of brown (UDFA signing)
Rb - pierce of Florida
Wr - Robinson of Kentucky (should be a must have player for jones.)
Te - Kolar of iowa state
Ot - penning of north iowa
Og - sailor of Georgia
C - howerton of smu (UDFA priority)

Dt - McCall of kentucky
De - hall of houston
Olb - Harris of alabama
Ilb - smith if penn state
Press man Cb - Elam of florida
Zone cb - McDuffie of Washington
Slot corner - jones of Houston (also return man extraordinaire)
Ss - pitre of Baylor
Fs - cine of Georgia

Favorite draft players for the patriots (does not include players we no real shot at drafting)

Qb - Perry of brown (UDFA signing)
Rb - pierce of Florida
Wr - Robinson of Kentucky (should be a must have player for jones.)
Te - Kolar of iowa state
Ot - penning of north iowa
Og - sailor of Georgia
C - howerton of smu (UDFA priority)

Dt - McCall of kentucky
De - hall of houston
Olb - Harris of alabama
Ilb - smith if penn state
Press man Cb - Elam of florida
Zone cb - McDuffie of Washington
Slot corner - jones of Houston (also return man extraordinaire)
Ss - pitre of Baylor
Fs - cine of Georgia
Good list and all could be attainable with the possible exception of Penning, who I would take in the 1st depending on who else slips.

I would love Christian Watson and Kyler Gordon

I also think there's potential for Levi Lewis to be converted to a good slot receiver, as an UDFA

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back