PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2022 Draft Binky Thread

After reading a lot of comments on the board, it seems the overwhelming majority of posters want bb to draft Jordan Davis of Georgia.

Is this because David is an extraordinary athlete or because nt is perceived as a huge need or because there are no other viable alternative player at 21 that excites the posters or is it some combination of all of the above?

An ideal draft for me would be:

1.) nt davis of Georgia
2.) de hall of Houston
3.) wr Robinson of Kentucky
4.) cb jobe of alabama
5.) og sailor of Georgia
5.) cb hall of Houston
6.) lb Jackson of app state
6.) lb McFadden of Indiana

Last edited:
After reading a lot of comments on the board, it seems the overwhelming majority of posters want bb to draft Jordan Davis of Georgia.

Is this because David is an extraordinary athlete or because nt is perceived as a huge need or because there are no other viable alternative player at 21 that excites the posters or is it some combination of all of the above?

An ideal draft for me would be:

1.) nt davis of Georgia
2.) de hall of Houston
3.) wr Robinson of Kentucky
4.) cb jobe of alabama
5.) og sailor of Georgia
5.) cb hall of Houston
6.) lb Jackson of app state
6.) lb McFadden of Indiana

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd take Davis if he was there at 21 for two reasons. For years now we've got gashed by average RB's running straight through the middle. That won't happen with Davis on the field.

Secondly, if Davis and Barmore are on the field together it will elevate our pass rush significantly. Who do you double team? You can't consistently block Barmore one on one, and you definitely won't win one on one against Davis. He mightn't be renowned as a pass rusher but he will collapse pockets and cause havoc. Pressure in the middle allows the edge rushers to have a less obstructed route to the QB, and a blitzing LB or SS to shoot through, not to mention giving QBs a shorter window to throw, which alleviates some of the pressure on our DB's to cover WR's for like 6 seconds.

I think one player, if he's enough of a freaky unicorn, can impact every position on defense not just his own.

The thing about this draft is the lack of qb’s and really only 6 blue chip prospects, but close to 50 red chip prospects.

This means that after the first 10 picks, any team could take any player based on their draft board. Could be a lot of variance from the experts on draft day.
I think that is about right. Which is why I think it would be a good idea to move up to around 45, like they did last year to nab Barmore. The cost was a bit more than anticipated but sure is as hell worth it right now. If a player the Pats like starts sliding maybe a team would take a 4th & a 5th to move down 8-10 spots.

Having watched a few more players, these are my top 3 round binkies. I'm ignoring anyone guys who couldn't realistically go after pick 15.

1st: Trent McDuffie, Dax Hill, Zion Johnson
2nd: Logan Hall, Travis Jones, Jahan Dotson
3rd: Cam Taylor-Britt, John Metchie, Marcus Jones, Khalil Shakir

I think all these guys are perfect Patriots. There are a few others guys I really like slightly below binky status too but if we could come away with three of these guys I would we very happy.
Just a reminder that realism has nothing to do with binkies. As someone once posted here, you don't pick binkies. Binkies pick you.

Top Players I like by position who -might- be available at #21:
WR - Chris Olave
DT - Travis Jones
CB - Andrew Booth Jr
LB - Nakobe Dean
OL - Trevor Penning

If we get one of those 5, I'm stoked!

PS I also like that Freak big man from Georgia, Jordan Davis but I don't feel like he lasts to #21.

Looking at how this draft should play out.

In order for Davis to fall to 21, he has to make it past houston at 13 and the chargers at 17.

Houston needs so much help and they have a pick at number three. I could see houston taking a pass rusher or offensive tackle at three. They should take either an offensive tackle or pass rusher at 13, whatever they did not take at 3. They could also look at wide receiver at 13, but with caserio, who knows.

The chargers have a gaping hole at right tackle and penning could be sitting the for them.

TE Jelani Woods from Virginia:

Why not 3 tight end sets that likely create match up problems for defenses?

One of the top measurable TE prospects in the last 40 years when Combine numbers became more broadly accepted.

Last edited:

One of the top measurable TE prospects in the last 40 years when Combine numbers became more broadly accepted.

If you get the ball in his hands, he's dangerous. But he has bad hands, can't runs routes and can't block. Could he put it all together in the NFL? Possibly, but it's a risk to take him when we have so many holes to fill. Personally I'd always put football ability first and athletic ability second.

Burks of Arkansas can’t run routes either, but is not getting dinged like woods does.

Top Players I like by position who -might- be available at #21:
WR - Chris Olave

It is hard for me to get a good read on Olave. What I worry about is that he played opposite Garrett Wilson. Does this mean that Wilson was up against the top CB and Olave got the second best CB? Not sure if this concern is legit...I think I am worrying about this too much; I need to get a life....

Last edited:
It is hard for me to get a good read on Olave. What I worry about is that he played opposite Garrett Wilson. Does this mean that Wilson was up against the top CB and Olave got the second best CB? Not sure if this concern is legit...I think I am worrying about this too much; I need to get a life....

Olave can get open in a phone booth. He is the best route runner in this draft. He knows how to set up defensive backs and is quick enough to get open anywhere on the field.

He may be a little smaller than teams like, but he is a playmaker and an electric Route runner.

Highly doubtful he makes it to 21.

Olave can get open in a phone booth. He is the best route runner in this draft. He knows how to set up defensive backs and is quick enough to get open anywhere on the field.

He may be a little smaller than teams like, but he is a playmaker and an electric Route runner.

Highly doubtful he makes it to 2I.

I finally got to watch some OLave highlights and am impressed. He has the rare ability to rapidly accelerate while runing (Jerry Rice was really good at this)...so he trots around, catches a ball, and then turns on the afterburners...and goodbye. He had an excellent 40 time for a guy his size. He might last until 21, but not much longer. Can you imagine if Olave and Jordan Davis are sitting there at 21 (while the the Patriots fan base is screaming and gnashing their teeth)...that would be fun.

I finally got to watch some OLave highlights and am impressed. He has the rare ability to rapidly accelerate while runing (Jerry Rice was really good at this)...so he trots around, catches a ball, and then turns on the afterburners...and goodbye. He had an excellent 40 time for a guy his size. He might last until 21, but not much longer. Can you imagine if Olave and Jordan Davis are sitting there at 21 (while the the Patriots fan base is screaming and gnashing their teeth)...that would be fun.

I would not want either one.

I would not want either one.
OK, but why? Are there character or performance or health concerns about Olave or Jordan Davis? I don't know enough about either guy to say one way ot the other. Maybe there will be other players available then that are better. As far as Davis, you hate to use a first round pick on an old school run stuffer instead of a skill position, but he would solidify a leaky DL.

OK, but why? Are there character or performance or health concerns about Olave or Jordan Davis? I don't know enough about either guy to say one way ot the other. Maybe there will be other players available then that are better. As far as Davis, you hate to use a first round pick on an old school run stuffer instead of a skill position, but he would solidify a leaky DL.

I have posted this before so I was avoiding repeating myself.

Olave is too slight to be a 1st and WR is not a significant need. I think Olave will be a good player, not great, and I especially worry since he was playing with Wilson who had CB1.

Davis would be an OK 1st if he developed, but I am not capable of projecting that. Also with Davis the dropoff to others, for example Jones, is not that great so why not pick the DT in round 2 or 3?

Johnson or Karlaftis could be special - Karlaftis is only 21. We need a CB desperately so McDuffie (not Booth who I think is suspect in man coverage) or Hill. Hill's measurables are off the charts. Or OL, Penning would be great and kick Wynn inside, Zion will be a beast for years to come but I am not a Green fan - not strong enough IMO.

Olave is too slight to be a 1st and WR is not a significant need. I think Olave will be a good player, not great, and I especially worry since he was playing with Wilson who had CB1.

Davis would be an OK 1st if he developed, but I am not capable of projecting that. Also with Davis the dropoff to others, for example Jones, is not that great so why not pick the DT in round 2 or 3?

Johnson or Karlaftis could be special - Karlaftis is only 21. We need a CB desperately so McDuffie (not Booth who I think is suspect in man coverage) or Hill. Hill's measurables are off the charts. Or OL, Penning would be great and kick Wynn inside, Zion will be a beast for years to come but I am not a Green fan - not strong enough IMO.

OK, that seems quite reasonable. So maybe I will not freakout if the Patriots pass on Jameson Williams or Davis or Olave. If Davis or Jameson is still on the board at 21, this might present a good opportunity to trade back which will be difficult this year. The Patriots need a lot of bodies and a trade-back would be be beneficial, especially considering that the new regime at Patriots HQ seems less inclined to waste picks.

This is what I call "The Ron Brace Effect". Brace played right next to a future all-pro (B. J. Raji), and this fooled the Patriots into over-value-ing him by about 5 rounds. BJ got the double teams and Brace had an easy cruise, but was exposed in the NFL. This is not to say that Brace was a bad guy, but just that he was over-drafted.

OK, that seems quite reasonable. So maybe I will not freakout if the Patriots pass on Jameson Williams or Davis or Olave. If Davis or Jameson is still on the board at 21, this might present a good opportunity to trade back which will be difficult this year. The Patriots need a lot of bodies and a trade-back would be be beneficial, especially considering that the new regime at Patriots HQ seems less inclined to waste picks.

This is what I call "The Ron Brace Effect". Brace played right next to a future all-pro (B. J. Raji), and this fooled the Patriots into over-value-ing him by about 5 rounds. BJ got the double teams and Brace had an easy cruise, but was exposed in the NFL. This is not to say that Brace was a bad guy, but just that he was over-drafted.

To be fair I did see some highlights between Olave and Booth and Olave's quickness and speed frustrated Booth. But I think Booth is suspect in man coverage and that reinforced my belief.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back