PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

I've seen him in the 3rd in some mocks. If that's what it took to secure his services, then I'd say to bring him in; he can't be worse than recent 3rd rounders Grissom, Baquette, Price, etc. He has a definable skill set with a clear path to early playing time: elite blocking ability. All the explosive testing numbers just add more intrigue to his potential upside as a pass catcher, but they don't change a lot in terms of his immediate contribution on the field. He's an ideal 3rd TE after Gronk and Allen.

Agreed. That's why I did it. Plus there'll be a 2nd/3rd round run on TEs.

Agreed. That's why I did it. Plus there'll be a 2nd/3rd round run on TEs.

Kinda depends on what you consider to be a "run" on TEs.

Looking at "when" TEs were selected in the past six drafts (2011-16) ...

In 2013 & 14, when a TE was actually selected in the 1st round, 5-6 more TEs went by the end of the 3rd. In the four other years, when 0 TEs were taken in the 1st, the combined 2nd-3rd round TE count was 3 or 4.

Anyway, it's typically been 7-8 TEs taken in rounds 2-5.

Based on the most current rankings across six sites, Kittle is still looking like late-5th/early-6th, even assuming that Howard goes in the 1st round and assuming that it's a "big" TE draft (16-19 total ... median is around 12).

Jonnu Smith appears to be moving up quickly, though .... maybe late-4th/early-5th now.

The boards are all over the place at the moment but the bottom line is there will be very good and good prospects for Pats liking available throughout the draft. As some binkies rise to the unreachable others fall right into your lap..

Just one recent example (somehow the simulator gives 2 4rd picks at the moment so 118 is only informative there..)

Fanspeak 21.3.

72: R3P8 S JOSH JONES, NC STATE

96: R3P32 CB SIDNEY JONES, WASHINGTON

(118: R4P11 TE ADAM SHAHEEN, ASHLAND C PAT ELFLEIN, OHIO STATE)

132: R4P25 ED/DL DEMARCUS WALKER, FLORIDA ST

163: R5P19 TE GEORGE KITTLE, IOWA

183: R5P39 OT STORM NORTON, TOLEDO

198: R6P14 RB DE'VEON SMITH, MICHIGAN

239: R7P21 LB HARVEY LANGI, BYU

The boards are all over the place at the moment but the bottom line is there will be very good and good prospects for Pats liking available throughout the draft. As some binkies rise to the unreachable others fall right into your lap..

Just one recent example (somehow the simulator gives 2 4rd picks at the moment so 118 is only informative there..)

Fanspeak 21.3.

Very nice. Solid football players all around.

Fanspeak 21.3.

Good mock. Only issue that I can see is that Josh Jones's 3-cone is worrisome from a Pats perspective (in the 7.4s). Quality prospect though. I have Delano Hill for that SS/LB role. 4.47 forty, 6.96 3-cone.

Not my mock, but interesting to see the shakeup for the CBs. Three in the top 15, and another three in the rest of the 1st round. Five edge guys in a row in the early 2nd:

38. LA Chargers: T.J. Watt/OLB/Wisconsin

39. NY Jets: Carl Lawson/OLB-Edge/Auburn

40. Carolina: Taco Charlton/DE/Michigan

41. Cincinnati: Tarell Basham/DE-Edge/Ohio

42. New Orleans: Jordan Willis/DE/Kansas State

Two Round Mock Draft | Draft Analyst

Tony Pauline seems to have good contacts but his grading can sometimes be a little 'out there'. Still, when I was doing my mock for the Butler game, I think it's almost inevitable that someone, expected to go on day one, will fall.

What do you guys think of jordan lewis after his recent run in with the law? I havent really heard much come from it but it seems that a lot of scouts are expecting him to fall come draft time. If that is the case do you think hed be worth taking a shot on later in the draft? I read reports that at his pro day he looked great. I loved his gane before the incident and if everything checks out fine with the off the field situation then i think hes worth it.

Good mock. Only issue that I can see is that Josh Jones's 3-cone is worrisome from a Pats perspective (in the 7.4s). Quality prospect though. I have Delano Hill for that SS/LB role. 4.47 forty, 6.96 3-cone.

Thanx, Manx. Missed info about his 3cone.

It was just f.e. mock though w one hidden agenda: put the 4 Jones' in the backfield to create mismatch by name..

What do you guys think of jordan lewis after his recent run in with the law? I havent really heard much come from it but it seems that a lot of scouts are expecting him to fall come draft time. If that is the case do you think hed be worth taking a shot on later in the draft? I read reports that at his pro day he looked great. I loved his gane before the incident and if everything checks out fine with the off the field situation then i think hes worth it.

I think the legl uncertainties will cause him to fall hard. It's a bit like the situation with La'el Collins. Admittedly that was murder but in today's culture domestic abuse is viewed almost as seriously. And why risk it in a class this deep? To be honest, I could see him going undrafted, teams don't like uncertainty.

I think the legl uncertainties will cause him to fall hard. It's a bit like the situation with La'el Collins. Admittedly that was murder but in today's culture domestic abuse is viewed almost as seriously. And why risk it in a class this deep? To be honest, I could see him going undrafted, teams don't like uncertainty.

Who was the guy we drafted who punched a cop like a week before the draft?

Dennard. Punching a cop doesn't carry the same stigma, and PR issues, that punching a woman does in today's culture. I'm not making a value judgement there.

It doesn't, but beating on cops is also a terrible look. I was more comparing how something that wasn't wrapped up that looked bad on paper knocked a guy down almost 6 rounds in the draft. I think Lewis could see something similar, if his case isn't cleared up beforehand.

It doesn't, but beating on cops is also a terrible look. I was more comparing how something that wasn't wrapped up that looked bad on paper knocked a guy down almost 6 rounds in the draft. I think Lewis could see something similar, if his case isn't cleared up beforehand.

I agree. You are right. Dennard was a first round/second round guy early in the process.

Dennard. Punching a cop doesn't carry the same stigma, and PR issues, that punching a woman does in today's culture. I'm not making a value judgement there.

To put this in perspective, remember that the Pats drafted Dennard in the seventh round after drafting Ebner in the sixth!

The original reports were that an assault complaint was called in by Lewis' girlfirend around 1:00am on Wednesday, March 15th. Responding officers observed no visible injuries and the woman did not request medical treatment. Lewis was not at the scene, but was located an hour later a few miles away. Officers charged and released him on site.

Unsurprisingly, subsequently obtained police write-ups of statements by Lewis and the woman differ in details and perceptions:

Lewis, accuser stories differ on alleged assault

On Wednesday afternoon, Lewis tweeted: "It's sad that somebody would want to control you so bad they would ruin your life over it." The tweet later was deleted.

Lewis pled Not Guilty at his arraignment to one misdemeanor count on Thursday, March 16th and was released on personal bond. His next court date (pre-trial hearing) is set for April 12th.

NFL Draft Needs: Patriots - Rotoworld.com

Round 3 (72):
CB Howard Wilson, Houston
Round 3 (96): EDGE Trey Hendrickson, FAU
Round 4 (131): LB Harvey Langi, BYU
Round 5 (163): RB James Conner, Pitt
Round 5 (183): TE George Kittle, Iowa
Round 6 (200): S/CB Johnathan Ford, Auburn
Round 7 (239): T Jylan Ware, Alabama State

I would have been much happier with this prior to the reports of Wilson's strange behavior at the Houston pro day, but overall I can't complain. Lots of great football players with toughness and upside. Good stuff.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back