PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

That's what I was thinking. They probably won't draft an rb.
Btw, you should look at dnerius antoine if you haven't yet, think you gonna like him. Chung's longterm replacement xD, actually played at lb a bit, very good tackler.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look. I think they might still draft someone like Samaje Perine or James Conner.

I suspect Burkhead has been brought in as a Bolden replacement and That BB probably expects to get more out of him than he did Bolden. I think they might still draft someone like Perine to give us that big back flexibility.

I think you are right. I do wonder if they saw the way Lewis finished the season and decided they couldn't count on him being the lone back with duel threat capability.

A big back is still needed, whether that's Blount plus a drafted guy, or Bolden and a pick, we shall see.

I'm doing Fanspeak's mock in real time, using Matt Miller's Bleacher Report rankings (most up-to-date):

72 - My #1 target, 4-position OLman Dion Dawkins, is already gone, so I'll take the best Pass-Rusher remaining: Tarell Bashem. Of the edge players remaining, Joe Mathis, Tim Williams & Carroll Phillips are ranked ahead of him; Tyus Bowser, Derek Rivers, Garrett Sickels, Demarcus Walker, Daeshon Hall & Trey Hendrickson are ranked behind him.

96 - We are still in serious need of quality OL depth, and the drop-off after Ethan Pocic, Dorian Johnson, Taylor Moton & Adam Bisnowaty is steep, steeper than any other position group. So I'll take a chance on grabbing an OLman now and wait to grab another position later. My choice: Ethan Pocic. He has the potential to backup both Left-side positions AND Center - a rare trait.

118 - I'm torn between RBs Kareem Hunt, Jeremy McNichols & James Connor, and CBs Cameron Sutton & Ahkello Witherspoon. This could be a case where the rest of free agency determines which position group is in most need of upgrading; and so far, that still appears to be RB, the Malcolm Butler case notwithstanding. My choice: Kareem Hunt. He's not as powerful as Connor or as fast as McNichols, but he's the best combination of both of them.

163 - Still some good TEs available; CB pickings are starting to get slim, however, so I'm going to take one of, if not the best CB available: Shaquill Griffin. He had a great combine, likes to tackle, and has good ball skills. The main knock on him seems to be his instincts; but with that size, length, physicality and athleticism, he's still well worth the pick.

183 - Apparantly, Matt Miller doesn't think much of the TE class, and especially of two players I like at this spot: George Kittle & Jonnu Smith. In fact, he has SIX TEs , all still available, ranked ahead of them! Screw that, I'll gladly take George Kittle.

198 - Three positions yet to be addressed on defense are DT, Safety and LB. Jadar Johnson seems the best remaining Safety, and DJ Jones the best remaining DT (though I also like Treyvon Hester; Grover Stewart either isn't listed or is already taken). However, in this mock injury-prone LB Alex Anzalone is still available. Considering our other, more immediate needs (DE, OL, RB, CB, TE), I would never take him with our first 5 picks; but since I have filled those needs, I now feel comfortable taking a chance on one of the most athletic (when healthy) LBs in the draft. My choice, therefore, is Alex Anzalone.

239 - The prospect I probably would take here, athletic OT Aviante Collins, isn't listed in the Bleacher Report rankings. I either don't know or don't like the remaining OTs, including Jerry Ugokwe, who had a lousy combine. Jadar Johnson has been taken, but DJ Jones hasn't. Therefore, my choice is DJ Jones. Hopefully, he will replace the unworthy Woody Hamilton.

I'm doing Fanspeak's mock in real time, using Matt Miller's Bleacher Report rankings (most up-to-date):

72 - My #1 target, 4-position OLman Dion Dawkins, is already gone, so I'll take the best Pass-Rusher remaining: Tarell Bashem. Of the edge players remaining, Joe Mathis, Tim Williams & Carroll Phillips are ranked ahead of him; Tyus Bowser, Derek Rivers, Garrett Sickels, Demarcus Walker, Daeshon Hall & Trey Hendrickson are ranked behind him.

96 - We are still in serious need of quality OL depth, and the drop-off after Ethan Pocic, Dorian Johnson, Taylor Moton & Adam Bisnowaty is steep, steeper than any other position group. So I'll take a chance on grabbing an OLman now and wait to grab another position later. My choice: Ethan Pocic. He has the potential to backup both Left-side positions AND Center - a rare trait.

118 - I'm torn between RBs Kareem Hunt, Jeremy McNichols & James Connor, and CBs Cameron Sutton & Ahkello Witherspoon. This could be a case where the rest of free agency determines which position group is in most need of upgrading; and so far, that still appears to be RB, the Malcolm Butler case notwithstanding. My choice: Kareem Hunt. He's not as powerful as Connor or as fast as McNichols, but he's the best combination of both of them.

163 - Still some good TEs available; CB pickings are starting to get slim, however, so I'm going to take one of, if not the best CB available: Shaquill Griffin. He had a great combine, likes to tackle, and has good ball skills. The main knock on him seems to be his instincts; but with that size, length, physicality and athleticism, he's still well worth the pick.

183 - Apparantly, Matt Miller doesn't think much of the TE class, and especially of two players I like at this spot: George Kittle & Jonnu Smith. In fact, he has SIX TEs , all still available, ranked ahead of them! Screw that, I'll gladly take George Kittle.

198 - Three positions yet to be addressed on defense are DT, Safety and LB. Jadar Johnson seems the best remaining Safety, and DJ Jones the best remaining DT (though I also like Treyvon Hester; Grover Stewart either isn't listed or is already taken). However, in this mock injury-prone LB Alex Anzalone is still available. Considering our other, more immediate needs (DE, OL, RB, CB, TE), I would never take him with our first 5 picks; but since I have filled those needs, I now feel comfortable taking a chance on one of the most athletic (when healthy) LBs in the draft. My choice, therefore, is Alex Anzalone.

239 - The prospect I probably would take here, athletic OT Aviante Collins, isn't listed in the Bleacher Report rankings. I either don't know or don't like the remaining OTs, including Jerry Ugokwe, who had a lousy combine. Jadar Johnson has been taken, but DJ Jones hasn't. Therefore, my choice is DJ Jones. Hopefully, he will replace the unworthy Woody Hamilton.

Very nice mock, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Would like a CB though. Interesting take on the mock too.

I suspect Burkhead has been brought in as a Bolden replacement and That BB probably expects to get more out of him than he did Bolden. I think they might still draft someone like Perine to give us that big back flexibility.

Agree about Burkhead.

In terms of RB situation I am not sure if we won't end up going into camp with LGB re-signed to a vet min deal if he is game. Mainly because right now it looks like we have limited draft resources this year and there will be a lot of turnover at the RB position next year anyway (Lewis, White, LGB*, Gaffney).. that is unless someone they have their eyes on falls into their arms..

Last edited:

Hunt is one of my binkys. One of the things I like about him is that fact that, in 855 career touches at Toledo, he fumbled only once. Several of the bigger "name" RB prospects fumbled about once every 50 touches (almost Ameer Abdullah level). James White fumbled only twice in 754 touches at Wisconsin. DJ Foster fumbled once very 167 at Ariz. State. If ball RB security is a real "thing" now for BB, it might be a big plus for guys like Hunt, or even De'Veon Smith (once every 267 touches).

I still have a feeling the whole Jimmy G episode hasn't finished and i think we can still imagine him getting traded. I have no idea what we want from him, but if its up to me i will have the browns second rounders for this year. All of them. The difference between first round talent and second round talent there really isnt a lot in it. The extra Depth we could get would scare me.. we could have so many different looks on Defence and Offence... Thoughts?

I still have a feeling the whole Jimmy G episode hasn't finished and i think we can still imagine him getting traded. I have no idea what we want from him, but if its up to me i will have the browns second rounders for this year. All of them. The difference between first round talent and second round talent there really isnt a lot in it. The extra Depth we could get would scare me.. we could have so many different looks on Defence and Offence... Thoughts?

If I'm getting two twos, I'd want something in next years draft too.

If I'm getting two twos, I'd want something in next years draft too.

What would you want? a first next year or another two twos? Not sure what the depth of next years draft is even like yet, haven't looked into it as much as this years, where there seems to be talent everywhere you look in the rounds.

What would you want? a first next year or another two twos? Not sure what the depth of next years draft is even like yet, haven't looked into it as much as this years, where there seems to be talent everywhere you look in the rounds.

I'd be tempted by two twos this year, a two next year and a two the year after that. The Browns have the capital.

Agree about Burkhead.

In terms of RB situation I am not sure if we won't end up going into camp with LGB re-signed to a vet min deal if he is game. Mainly because right now it looks like we have limited draft resources this year and there will be a lot of turnover at the RB position next year anyway (Lewis, White, LGB*, Gaffney).. that is unless someone they have their eyes on falls into their arms..
I too would like to see Blunt re-signed to the same deal for which he signed last year. I also want a Power Back drafted, by no later than our 5th-rounders.

I too would like to see Blunt re-signed to the same deal for which he signed last year. I also want a Power Back drafted, by no later than our 5th-rounders.
Conner might still be around in the 5th or late 4th.

Blount was UDFA (though mostly for the sucker punch).

I'd be tempted by two twos this year, a two next year and a two the year after that. The Browns have the capital.

Interesting. I'd rather have their first rounder next year but would also be totally fine with in total 4 second rounders for Jimmy. Second round picks are the most valuable picks in the entire draft anyhow. First rounders are comparatively insanely expensive.

Starting to think about fits now (both prospect fits for the Pats and roster needs) with these mocks. I decided not to include Jordan Willis because I doubt he falls to 72.

#72 Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama

#96 Howard Wilson, CB, Houston

#118 George Kittle, TE, Iowa

#163 Deatrich Wise, DE, Arkansas

#183 Delano Hill, SS, Michigan

#198 Mack Hollins, WR, UNC

#239 De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan

PFA James Onwualu, LB, Notre Dame

If I had a top 50 pick from, say, a New Orleans trade, I'd probably have Tyus Bowser or Gareon Conley as that pick if it's at 32. If #11, probably the same guys after a trade back and hopefully I'd get both.

Not the most exciting draft ever but good solid depth all the way through. And tbh, that's all we really need right now.

Starting to think about fits now (both prospect fits for the Pats and roster needs) with these mocks. I decided not to include Jordan Willis because I doubt he falls to 72.

#72 Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama

#96 Howard Wilson, CB, Houston

#118 George Kittle, TE, Iowa

#163 Deatrich Wise, DE, Arkansas

#183 Delano Hill, SS, Michigan

#198 Mack Hollins, WR, UNC

#239 De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan

PFA James Onwualu, LB, Notre Dame

If I had a top 50 pick from, say, a New Orleans trade, I'd probably have Tyus Bowser or Gareon Conley as that pick if it's at 32. If #11, probably the same guys after a trade back and hopefully I'd get both.

Not the most exciting draft ever but good solid depth all the way through. And tbh, that's all we really need right now.
Huh, there were times where Kittle in 5rd would be reach.

I'd add in Jack Tocho, CB, NC State as a PFA too. Not the best athletically which is a bar as a Patriots pick at CB, but had to include him as he's a grade A character.

Huh, there were times where Kittle in 5rd would be reach.

I was using CBS and that was a bit of a reach according to their board but I had to slot someone into that spot and I didn't want to miss out on him.

I was using CBS and that was a bit of a reach according to their board but I had to slot someone into that spot and I didn't want to miss out on him.

I've seen him in the 3rd in some mocks. If that's what it took to secure his services, then I'd say to bring him in; he can't be worse than recent 3rd rounders Grissom, Baquette, Price, etc. He has a definable skill set with a clear path to early playing time: elite blocking ability. All the explosive testing numbers just add more intrigue to his potential upside as a pass catcher, but they don't change a lot in terms of his immediate contribution on the field. He's an ideal 3rd TE after Gronk and Allen.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back