PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

Unless BB has a massive change of philosophy, or Santos is the strongest player in the history of the NFL, I don't see him drafting a 5'8", 160# kicker. :eek:

I knew he was small but then checked his season long and it's 56 yards and career long of 57 yards which was last season - so he's got some leg on him despite his small frame!

With a comp pick though I was thinking more of a camp leg than a Gostkowski replacement though.

52/65 career record with 21/21 last year so not the best and not the worst so fine for camp and see how it goes.

Touchbacks aren't going to be a problem either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzwUSURrH28

no defenders trying to block it there which is why I mention kickoffs.

To revise from my initial draft:

FA's Resigned

Edelman, Julian
Hoomanawanui, Michael (FA MIN)
Svitek, Will
Green, Tyronne (currently on IR)
Ninkovich, Rob (*Already done)
Fletcher, Dane
Talib, Aqib (Franchised in all probability)

Draft

I did a trade down last time but i am going to stay put this time for the talent around 25-30

1.) Stephon Tuitt, DE 6'6 DE/DT, ND (28) : Building for an Elite D. If this pick can work out and Tuitt can move to a 3-4 DE, LDE in base and DT in Sub. Picking up a Muhammad Wilkerson type would be big for this D. Still not 100% convinced on him inside tho but thats what Mocks are for.
2.) Trade into the 3rd and pick up an early 4th
3.) Hroniss Grasu C 6-3 298 I know we don't usually pick C's this early but i personally think Wedell's pass blocking has been a liability for this team and this is as good a position as any to upgrade.
3.) DaQuan Jones DT Penn State 6-3 333 - double Dipping at the interior rush position. But i still think we need to as we have no idea how Big Vince will return.
4.)Jace Amaro, TE 6-5 257 throwing another athletic body at the TE position hoping that he can take up the Hernandez Role and give TB some more receiving weapons.
4.) Devin Street, WR 6-3 192 Another young Receiver to give to TB. he has had a good start this year and is a possession guy with a nice frame.
5.) Marcel Jensen TE 6-5 258 4-5 Double dipping here

Haven't done enough late round homework but i want these last 2 picks to be on late round character concern drops / raw freak athletes and hope we get an Edelman, Dennard e.t.c
6.)
7.)

Am hoping that would make our D front for 2014. And i think it would be quite an adaptable bunch when you throw in Collins and Arrington in Sub Packages

CB Talib DE Tuitt NT Wilfork DE Kelly CB Dennard

. OLB Ninko ILB Mayo ILB Hightower OLB Jones

. SS Gregory
. FS McCourty

Actually really like this mock, would probably target Nix over Tuitt if available. Grasu and Swanson are the only Cs worth drafting in my opinion as well, and I also like Jones a little too. Amaro could be a steal although I prefer Lynch and Street can be a good young wide out that can catch. Maybe in the seventh we can steal Lyerla now that he left too instead of Jensen. IMO, late round steals can wind up being RB Jordan Hall, RB Prince-Tyson Gulley, QB Connor Shaw, TE Jacob Oederson, or WR Eric Ward

With a comp pick though I was thinking more of a camp leg than a Gostkowski replacement though.

A comp 6 would still get something like $50K in signing bonus, so I'd prefer to give that to someone who has a reasonable chance to make the team. :)

In any case, my issue is not his leg strength, but more things like his ability to tackle.

1. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
3. Trey Millard, FB, Oklahoma
4. Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon
5. Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State
6. John Ursche, OG, Penn State

Needs
For me the most obvious need is DT. Tommy Kelly is getting old, Armstead hasn’t played a snap yet and I don’t think anyone believes Vellano is the answer, although he has held his own. And as much as I love Big Vince (as you can tell by my sn) he will be a 325lb (yeah right) man coming off an achilles injury at the age of 32. Add into that he has an $11.6mil cap number for next year and I think it’s a legitimate question as to whether he will be back. Ideally he would re-structure but we still don’t know how he will recover. So we not only need a long term replacement for him but also greater depth and quality at the DT position. That would be my biggest aim.

I think some of the other needs are interior O-line, both OG and C. Wendell is a free agent and hasn’t played as well as last season and Connolly could be a cap casualty. We also need to look for a long term replacement for Mankins, who I could see gone after 2014 due to an $11mil cap number in 2015. CB could be a need but I think worst case scenario we franchise Talib for next season so I wouldn’t consider it a huge need right now. We could use another quality safety, but I think that’s tough to do without a high pick so I would look for a veteran. TE is also a need but again something I wouldn’t spend a high pick on. We should be able to get value in the later rounds and maybe look into the free agent market. With 3 rookie WR’s currently on the team I don’t see room to draft another one, unless it’s a late round developmental guy. RB is a late round option if Blount leaves, and while I would like him to stay I think he takes the money.

Trade 2nd, 2015 2nd and Ryan Mallett for 1st
I’m not usually a fan of trading away future picks, especially high ones, but I see this as a special circumstance. I think this is the perfect opportunity to solidify our D-line for the next decade with two potentially dominant DT's who I think are a perfect fit for this team. It would take some manoeuvring, but these are the resources I would be willing to give up to move back into the 1st round.

Picks

1a. NT- Louis Nix III- ND
I think Nix is the best DT in this draft and the best NT since Haloti Ngata. He is a big monster of a man with quick feet and violent hands. He makes his money vs the run but I think he is also has some upside as a pass rusher. He can push the pocket as well as create penetration, and while he may not put up big sack numbers he will pressure throws and be a TFL machine in the NFL. Don’t let the score of the National Title game fool you, Nix had a very good game against a top quality O-line and Alabama game plan. They ran everything away from him, so even when he was constantly pushing Barrett Jones into the backfield or getting penetration the play was always running away from him. I also love the way he plays hard, to the whistle and chases everything. I have no doubt in a few years he will be the best NT in the NFL.

He reminds me so much of Vince Wilfork both as a player and a person, just a humble, soft spoken kid from Florida with a big smile. Right now he is projected to go high in the 1st round but I think he will be available a bit lower than people expect right now. Over the last few years we have seen DT’s drop a bit in the draft, particularly NT’s, so I think Nix could be available in the 15-25 range if not later. He’s not going to blow up the combine like a Dontari Poe, so he won’t be a sexy pick, but he will be a great pick.

1b. DT- Ra'Shede Hageman- Minnesota/Stephon Tuitt- ND
Hageman has by far the most upside of any DT in this draft and I think he has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL. I love his size, length, athleticism and versatility and think he would be a perfect fit for this team. He can play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT or even 4-3 LDE against the run. I think he could be our Mohammed Wilkerson type disruptive DT. Because of his upside I think he could be out of reach even with trading up so my backup would be Stephon Tuitt, another big, athletic and versatile DL. I don’t think he has the same athletic upside as Hageman, but he still has a ton of potential and could be a very good NFL DE/DT.

3. C- Travis Swanson- Arkansas
If he stays the top C in the draft he probably won’t be available here, but it’s a mock draft in October so why not? According to the Arkansas coaching staff, Swanson is a special athlete having been clocked at 7.39 seconds in the 3 cone drill, better than both Luke Joekel and Lane Johnson at last years combine. I would love to see what Dante could do with this guy.
"His movement ability is second only to (Cleveland Browns All-Pro left tackle) Joe Thomas out of linemen that I have worked with in the last 12 years," said strength coach Ben Herbert, who came over from Wisconsin.

4. FB- Trey Millard- Oklahoma
My favourite player in this draft, Millard is the most versatile weapon in college football and he is still being underutilized. Not only is he a quality lead blocking FB, he can run the ball as a single back, catch it out of the backfield and line up at TE as a blocker or receiver. Oh, and he is also Oklahoma’s best special teams player. I think he has the skills to be the Pats FB, #5 RB, #3 TE and a core special teamer.

5. QB- AJ McCarron-Alabama/Keith Price- Washington
McCarron is the prototype Patriots QB. He is a leader, good decision maker, game manager and above all else a winner. For a few years now people have been talking about grooming McCarron to be Brady’s replacement and I think it would be a good idea. The thing that impresses me most about AJ is the fact that he keeps getting better. I think he would be a great fit in this system.

If McCarron is gone the other QB I really like is Keith Price. He might not be the prototype but I love his game. To me he is a cross between Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. He is a pocket guy, but he has the athleticism to make plays with his legs if he needs to. He has a good arm, good accuracy and has really stepped up this year. After a monster Bowl Game against RG3 to end the 2011 season, he had a poor 2012 season, but he seems to have put that behind him and I think he is a legit NFL prospect despite his lack of size.

6. RB- Carlos Hyde- Ohio State
If Blount leaves as a free agent I think Hyde would be the perfect replacement. He is a big, powerful downhill runner that could be a workhorse back or bruising short yardage back. Also have to consider his character concerns as well as the Urban Meyer connection here.

6c. OT- Cornelius Lucas- Kansas State
Big, long and athletic, that sounds like a Patriots OT to me. I love his size and length (6’8” 328lbs) and would love to see what Dante could turn him into. Very good pass blocker, if he can improve as a run blocker he could be a beast.

6c. TE- Gabe Holmes- Purdue
Upside pick. Has good size and athleticism but needs to improve catching the ball and has an injury concern.

7. CB- Stanley Jean-Baptiste- Nebraska
He has some fans on here. I like his size and ball skills as a late round flier.

Needs
For me the most obvious need is DT. Tommy Kelly is getting old, Armstead hasn’t played a snap yet and I don’t think anyone believes Vellano is the answer, although he has held his own. And as much as I love Big Vince (as you can tell by my sn) he will be a 325lb (yeah right) man coming off an achilles injury at the age of 32. Add into that he has an $11.6mil cap number for next year and I think it’s a legitimate question as to whether he will be back. Ideally he would re-structure but we still don’t know how he will recover. So we not only need a long term replacement for him but also greater depth and quality at the DT position. That would be my biggest aim.

I think some of the other needs are interior O-line, both OG and C. Wendell is a free agent and hasn’t played as well as last season and Connolly could be a cap casualty. We also need to look for a long term replacement for Mankins, who I could see gone after 2014 due to an $11mil cap number in 2015. CB could be a need but I think worst case scenario we franchise Talib for next season so I wouldn’t consider it a huge need right now. We could use another quality safety, but I think that’s tough to do without a high pick so I would look for a veteran. TE is also a need but again something I wouldn’t spend a high pick on. We should be able to get value in the later rounds and maybe look into the free agent market. With 3 rookie WR’s currently on the team I don’t see room to draft another one, unless it’s a late round developmental guy. RB is a late round option if Blount leaves, and while I would like him to stay I think he takes the money.

Trade 2nd, 2015 2nd and Ryan Mallett for 1st
I’m not usually a fan of trading away future picks, especially high ones, but I see this as a special circumstance. I think this is the perfect opportunity to solidify our D-line for the next decade with two potentially dominant DT's who I think are a perfect fit for this team. It would take some manoeuvring, but these are the resources I would be willing to give up to move back into the 1st round.

Picks

1a. NT- Louis Nix III- ND
I think Nix is the best DT in this draft and the best NT since Haloti Ngata. He is a big monster of a man with quick feet and violent hands. He makes his money vs the run but I think he is also has some upside as a pass rusher. He can push the pocket as well as create penetration, and while he may not put up big sack numbers he will pressure throws and be a TFL machine in the NFL. Don’t let the score of the National Title game fool you, Nix had a very good game against a top quality O-line and Alabama game plan. They ran everything away from him, so even when he was constantly pushing Barrett Jones into the backfield or getting penetration the play was always running away from him. I also love the way he plays hard, to the whistle and chases everything. I have no doubt in a few years he will be the best NT in the NFL.

He reminds me so much of Vince Wilfork both as a player and a person, just a humble, soft spoken kid from Florida with a big smile. Right now he is projected to go high in the 1st round but I think he will be available a bit lower than people expect right now. Over the last few years we have seen DT’s drop a bit in the draft, particularly NT’s, so I think Nix could be available in the 15-25 range if not later. He’s not going to blow up the combine like a Dontari Poe, so he won’t be a sexy pick, but he will be a great pick.

1b. DT- Ra'Shede Hageman- Minnesota/Stephon Tuitt- ND
Hageman has by far the most upside of any DT in this draft and I think he has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL. I love his size, length, athleticism and versatility and think he would be a perfect fit for this team. He can play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT or even 4-3 LDE against the run. I think he could be our Mohammed Wilkerson type disruptive DT. Because of his upside I think he could be out of reach even with trading up so my backup would be Stephon Tuitt, another big, athletic and versatile DL. I don’t think he has the same athletic upside as Hageman, but he still has a ton of potential and could be a very good NFL DE/DT.

3. C- Travis Swanson- Arkansas
If he stays the top C in the draft he probably won’t be available here, but it’s a mock draft in October so why not? According to the Arkansas coaching staff, Swanson is a special athlete having been clocked at 7.39 seconds in the 3 cone drill, better than both Luke Joekel and Lane Johnson at last years combine. I would love to see what Dante could do with this guy.

4. FB- Trey Millard- Oklahoma
My favourite player in this draft, Millard is the most versatile weapon in college football and he is still being underutilized. Not only is he a quality lead blocking FB, he can run the ball as a single back, catch it out of the backfield and line up at TE as a blocker or receiver. Oh, and he is also Oklahoma’s best special teams player. I think he has the skills to be the Pats FB, #5 RB, #3 TE and a core special teamer.

5. QB- AJ McCarron-Alabama/Keith Price- Washington
McCarron is the prototype Patriots QB. He is a leader, good decision maker, game manager and above all else a winner. For a few years now people have been talking about grooming McCarron to be Brady’s replacement and I think it would be a good idea. The thing that impresses me most about AJ is the fact that he keeps getting better. I think he would be a great fit in this system.

If McCarron is gone the other QB I really like is Keith Price. He might not be the prototype but I love his game. To me he is a cross between Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. He is a pocket guy, but he has the athleticism to make plays with his legs if he needs to. He has a good arm, good accuracy and has really stepped up this year. After a monster Bowl Game against RG3 to end the 2011 season, he had a poor 2012 season, but he seems to have put that behind him and I think he is a legit NFL prospect despite his lack of size.

6. RB- Carlos Hyde- Ohio State
If Blount leaves as a free agent I think Hyde would be the perfect replacement. He is a big, powerful downhill runner that could be a workhorse back or bruising short yardage back. Also have to consider his character concerns as well as the Urban Meyer connection here.

6c. OT- Cornelius Lucas- Kansas State
Big, long and athletic, that sounds like a Patriots OT to me. I love his size and length (6’8” 328lbs) and would love to see what Dante could turn him into. Very good pass blocker, if he can improve as a run blocker he could be a beast.

6c. TE- Gabe Holmes- Purdue
Upside pick. Has good size and athleticism but needs to improve catching the ball and has an injury concern.

7. CB- Stanley Jean-Baptiste- Nebraska
He has some fans on here. I like his size and ball skills as a late round flier.

With Gronk's constant health issues you don't think it would be necessary to get more/better beef at TE?

2014 New England Patriots Mock Draft - 10/9/13 :D

Straight Up - No Screwing Around :eek:

Round 1 - Louchiez Purifoy, CB - Florida (28)

Round 2 - Travis Swanson, OC - Arkansas (65)

Round 3 - DaQuan Jones, DT - Penn State (88) or Danny Shelton, DT - Washington (93)

Round 4 - Arthur Lynch, TE - Georgia (134)

Round 5 - Nickoe Whitley, FS/SS - Mississippi State (168)

Round 6 - Roderick McDowell, RB - Clemson (207)

Round 6 Compensatory - Jeff Mathews, QB - Cornell (233)

Round 6 Compensatory - John Urschel, OG - Penn State (238)

Round 7 - Ted Bolser, TE - Indiana (260)

Parenthesis - NFLDraftScout Overall Rankings

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Note: NFLDraftScout Overall Rankings dated 10/8/2013

An upgrade at SS and a nice backup for Big Vince, and that would be a mouth-watering D, particularly if Armstead can be the guy to replace Kelly long-term. Good job.

I know what you're saying RE SS. Personally i think with Talib, Arrington, Dennard and McCourty all back, Gregory has actually played a bit better. We have also thrown a 2nd and 3rd there in the past 2 drafts and i want to give one of those 2 another off season before re-investing.

Re the Wilfork replacement, i was hoping for DaQuan Jones to try be that guy especially if we end up back in the 4-3.

I will admit i haven't done as much research for the later round picks as i should have.

But my philosophy without any FA is double dip at DT, need a TE. Every other position is depth, competition and upside in my opinion.

With Gronk's constant health issues you don't think it would be necessary to get more/better beef at TE?

I think TE is a need and an area I would like to upgrade, but I don't see the value taking one high. You can't fill every need in the draft and there are players and positions that I think are better value. I would rather look for a solid vet FA and a late round developmental guy than using a high pick. I do like a couple of guys in Fiedorowicz and Lynch but I think they will go higher than I would be comfortable with because I think TE's have become overvalued in the draft.

Love the idea of getting Millard. I feel he'd give our offense a physical element we've been lacking. Especially, in the red zone. He's not just a big slug either. He can run and catch the ball. Destroyed Texas last year and will prob do the same to them this Saturday. Right now I'm leaning towards

1 - DT
2 - Interior OL
3 - Millard

Love the idea of getting Millard. I feel he'd give our offense a physical element we've been lacking. Especially, in the red zone. He's not just a big slug either. He can run and catch the ball. Destroyed Texas last year and will prob do the same to them this Saturday. Right now I'm leaning towards

1 - DT
2 - Interior OL
3 - Millard

I’ve wanted a real FB for some time, even more so if they’re versatile. That versatility is another reason I covet Colt Lyerla, who has functioned well as a TE, WR, and even as a RB, like a bigger yet non-murdering version of Hernandez. Imagine a lineup with Millard, Lyerla, and Vereen? With a creative QB like TFB the mismatch potential is incredible.

I’ve wanted a real FB for some time, even more so if they’re versatile. That versatility is another reason I covet Colt Lyerla, who has functioned well as a TE, WR, and even as a RB, like a bigger yet non-murdering version of Hernandez. Imagine a lineup with Millard, Lyerla, and Vereen? With a creative QB like TFB the mismatch potential is incredible.
If you haven't already, you may want to look up the recent Lyerla news. That's going to make it awfully hard for teams to take him seriously.

If you haven't already, you may want to look up the recent Lyerla news. That's going to make it awfully hard for teams to take him seriously.

Hmmm, that is very odd, the good news is that it should make it much cheaper to get him.

Even though I know nothing about college football I'm going to attempt a mock based on position.

1) DT

2) S

3) TE

4) QB

5) C

6) HB

6) DT

7) WR

Hopefully get a Dennard type in the 6th/7th round.

Yeah, I consider him undraftable now, especially for this team. Too many red flags there to waste a pick on, especially for a guy that has never had great production. He might have all the physical skills but his baggage far outweighs that for me.

The other pick that I don't understand that I have seen mocked for the Pats (over at WalterFootball) is Michael Dyer. They have him to the Pats in the 2nd round, which I think is crazy for any RB, especially one with that many red flags and lack of production this season. It will be interesting to see how the AH situation affects the Pats draft strategy, but I certainly think a guy with both a gun and drug history will be off the board.

The other pick that I don't understand that I have seen mocked for the Pats (over at WalterFootball) is Michael Dyer. They have him to the Pats in the 2nd round, which I think is crazy for any RB,

Walter doesn't "get" the Pats.

It seems that most of us agree that DT is our biggest need. We want to find someone who looks/plays like Vince. Should we? Vince was drafted to be a ng run stopper. He's evolved into much, much, more than that. I think it's unrealistic to expect a 6ft 350lb kid to be able to do the same. Stuff the run and push the pocket back. With the game totally tilted towards the passing attack, shouldn't we be looking for a taller, more athletic dt than Wilfork? Don't want to build a team to win the last war. Need one ready for the next one. We're pretty stout at lb even without Spikes in our 4-2-5. With Mayo and Hightower.

I don't want a dt whom is weak vs the run. But, not really feeling a need for a big ol fatty. They just can't get to the qb like you want. And, a short/squat one can't get his hands up either. Just my .02 This is not a criticism of Wilfork in anyway. I just think it's unrealistic to find someone just like him. Richard Seymour would be my pro-type. Not Vince Wilfork. I do know we're not getting the next Richard Seymour either.

It seems that most of us agree that DT is our biggest need. We want to find someone who looks/plays like Vince. Should we? Vince was drafted to be a ng run stopper. He's evolved into much, much, more than that. I think it's unrealistic to expect a 6ft 350lb kid to be able to do the same. Stuff the run and push the pocket back. With the game totally tilted towards the passing attack, shouldn't we be looking for a taller, more athletic dt than Wilfork? Don't want to build a team to win the last war. Need one ready for the next one. We're pretty stout at lb even without Spikes in our 4-2-5. With Mayo and Hightower.

I don't want a dt whom is weak vs the run. But, not really feeling a need for a big ol fatty. They just can't get to the qb like you want. And, a short/squat one can't get his hands up either. Just my .02 This is not a criticism of Wilfork in anyway. I just think it's unrealistic to find someone just like him. Richard Seymour would be my pro-type. Not Vince Wilfork. I do know we're not getting the next Richard Seymour either.

Personally I think we need both. I think this is still a defense built on stopping the run first and putting opponents into 3rd and long situations. What makes Vince so great isn't his individual playmaking ability, its his ability to make everyone else around him better and facilitate for others by occupying space and blockers. I think we need to replace this run stuffing presence in the center of the defense but not necessarily with a prototypical NT. Personally I kind of like the Rams approach with two big, tall, long DT's in Brockers and Langford who play the run, take on blocks and crowd passing lanes with their length, kind of in that Richard Seymour mould. Ideally I would love two 6'6" 320lb guys but finding those isn't easy either.

Looking at the guys available in this draft there are two that stand out to me as the best of each of these types. I think Louis Nix is the best NT prospect to enter the draft since Haloti Ngata and I think Ra'Shede Hageman has the potential to be special as that long, disruptive DT. Personally I would give up just about the entire draft to get both, I think they would be a perfect combo. But to me Nix is the only NT I would take in the draft. I don't want a NT for the sake of having one, I just think that guy is going to be special, and like Wilfork I don't see him as just a "big ol fatty". I also think the NT position has become very underrated in the draft and we could get some great value. I think Nix is easily one of the 10 best players in the draft, but come draft day I think he could go in the 20's. I've already seen mocks starting to drop him out of the top 10 and he is only going to fall further as the process continues.

To me there is also quite a difference between a base DT for this defense and a sub rushing DT, which I feel is also a need. I have no interest in the prototypical 6'2" 300lb 3-tech DT for our base defense, but they are the kind of guys we need on obvious passing downs. Someone like Dominique Easley would be perfect as a sub rusher but traditionally go much higher than his value for this team would dictate. Now that he is injured he could fall into a position of value. I certainly wouldn't be against taking all 3 types of players if the opportunity arose. Adding depth, talent and versatility is how I think we improve the D-line play, not by just adding one player.

The way this team is set up and this draft is shaping up I think this could be the perfect time to completely overhaul the DT position and have BB build it however he wants. I think its a genuine question to ask whether or not Wilfork will be back, especially as the old Vince, and Tommy Kelly is also coming towards the end of his career. I would have no problem with BB going all in to rebuild the DT position this year, even if it means trading away future picks. But we are still in October, there are still so many games and so much of the process left that everything will change before draft day.

I just don't see a NG in our base defense. It's really a 4-2-5. Against running teams Collins will prob play lb next year, but against passing teams Arrington starts. The two dt's are going to be the same whether we're in base or nickel. Just need some depth for rotation purposes. All of them have to be able to rush the passer.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back