PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

This mock is based upon the premise that we re-sign or franchise Aqib Talib. Considering the performances we've seen out of him, I'm really starting to worry about a Talib-less defense next year.

Rnd 1

Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame.

Perfect size for a Patriots' DT and ideal athleticism for a Patriots' first round pick. There are a couple of concerns, namely his strength and the fact that he loses the leverage battle too often but those can be addressed in the weight room and TC.

Rnd 2

Travis Swanson, OL, Arkansas

I'm really starting to like the Patriots fit for Travis Swanson. He has reportedly long arms and quick feet (poss 7.39 3-cone) and seems to get rave reviews from those who have coached him. He's also been team captain the last two years. SEC experience will also sit well with BB.

Rnd 3

CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa

What BB hoped to be getting with Jake Ballard.

Rnd 4

Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State.

At 6-1, 330 lbs, he has ideal size for the NT position and his strength is apparent on tape - his feet aren't that sluggish either. If there is a technique deficiency, hopefully that can be corrected with some consistency at coaching (he's had four coaches in his time at Arkansas State).

Or

Shamar Stephen, DT, UConn

Can't make my mind up between these two. Shamar is 6-5 and 323lbs and is supposedly very good against the run but plays with sufficient quickness that he can threaten the pocket from time to time.

Rnd 5

Logan Thomas, OP, Virginia Tech

OP? What's that?

Offensive Player is what. Logan Thomas has probably shot his bolt as a QB so I'm looking at him as an athletically elite and NFL sized prospect who could be used situationally at first on offense (FB/TE) and could be groomed to be a TE in the long-term. There's not a great deal of risk with the upside of getting a 6-6, 250lb TE that runs in the 4.5/4.6 range.

Rnd 6A

Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State

I don't have Logan Thomas a a QB candidate so I still think we need one. This is a bit of a change up but I've read some things which say that his coaching staff love him and that he's very smart. His coach of course is Urban so it's possible this kid comes with a personal recommendation. His arm by the way is incredible so I think there's some nice upside with this pick.

Rnd 6B

Marcus Williams, CB, North Dakota State

Good size at 5-11, 197 lbs and runs in the 4.4/4.5 range and is generally regarded as the 2nd best FCS CB prospect behind Pierre Desir. Check out this scouting report:

Marcus Williams, CB, North Dakota State (Jr.)

Although the Bison were the No. 1 seed in the FCS playoffs and are playing for their second consecutive national championship, they do not have any likely selections in the 2013 NFL draft. Junior cornerback Marcus Williams, however, has bright prospects for the 2014 NFL draft.

Williams is a shutdown cornerback who locks down opposing receivers, and he is a very good athlete with great speed. As a result, he has big-play potential: Williams has recorded 15 interceptions through three seasons, and had 98-yard returns on both an interception and a kickoff this past season.

Williams was recognized as an FCS All-American for the second consecutive season this year, and is certainly building himself a great résumé looking ahead to the 2014 NFL draft. He must improve as an open-field tackler to succeed at the next level, but his consistent lockdown coverage, athleticism and ball skills will keep him firmly on the NFL radar next season.

4 Small-School NFL Draft Prospects You Must Watch in FCS National Championship | Bleacher Report

Marcus Williams vs GA Southern & Lehigh 2011 - YouTube

Rnd 7

Brandon Wimberly, WR, Nevada

When I was watching some Zach Sudfeld tape, this guy really stood out to me with good body control and making some excellent catches. And when you consider that in 2011 he was shot in the chest and almost died, he becomes a guy you root for. So for this mock at least, I'm rooting for Brandon Wimberly to become a Patriot in May.

brandon wimberly football highlights - YouTube

1. Louis Nix, DT, ND
2. Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3. Allen Robinson, WR, PSU
4. Arthur Lynch, TE, UGA
5. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon
6. Cody Hoffman, WR, BYU
6 (Comp). Wade Keliikipi, DT, Oregon
6(Comp). John Urschel, OG, PSU
7. Jordan Hall, RB, OSU/Ben Malena, RB, TAMU

This mock is based upon the premise that we re-sign or franchise Aqib Talib. Considering the performances we've seen out of him, I'm really starting to worry about a Talib-less defense next year.

The way things are going i think you should swap Swanson and Tuitt. :D

2014 New England Patriots Mock Draft - 10/15/13 :D

Straight Up - No Screwing Around :eek:

Round 1 - Kyle Fuller, CB - Virginia Tech (51)

Round 2 - Travis Swanson, OC - Arkansas (67)

Round 3 - DaQuan Jones, DT - Penn State (90) or Ryan Carrethers, DT - Arkansas State (116)

Round 4 - Arthur Lynch, TE - Georgia (134)

Round 5 - Nickoe Whitley, FS/SS - Mississippi State (168)

Round 6 - Alfred Blue, RB - Louisiana State (207)

Round 6 Compensatory - Zac Kerin, OC/OG/OT - Toledo (218)

Round 6 Compensatory - John Urschel, OG - Penn State (238)

Round 7 - Ted Bolser, TE - Indiana (260)

Parenthesis - NFLDraftScout Overall Rankings

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Note: NFLDraftScout Overall Rankings dated 10/15/2013

Comment: Strictly seniors selected

Using CBS 2014 NFL Draft Rankings and assuming 2 6th round comp picks, no trades and guesstimation:

1) TE Eric Ebron NC
2) C Travis Swnson Arkansas
3) DT DaQuan Jones Penn State
4) DT Calvin Barnett Oklahoma State
5) DE Kony Ealy Missouri
6a) RB Jerome Smith Syracuse
6b) G Ryan Groy Wisconsin
6c) TE Jacob Pederson Wisconsin
7) S Jeremy Deering Rutgers (why not)

Round 3 - DaQuan Jones, DT - Penn State (90) or Ryan Carrethers, DT - Arkansas State (116)

Love those first three picks.

Using CBS 2014 NFL Draft Rankings and assuming 2 6th round comp picks, no trades and guesstimation:

1) TE Eric Ebron NC
5) DE Kony Ealy Missouri

Good to see Swanson becoming a regular in most people's mocks. Like this mock a lot.

1) TE Eric Ebron NC
2) C Travis Swanson Arkansas
5) DE Kony Ealy Missouri
No offense, I have had my fill of Rutgers players for the remainder of the decade.

In light of the Jerod Mayo injury:

Round 5 - Nickoe Whitley, FS/SS - Mississippi State (168) or Jordan Tripp, OLB - Montana (181)

1) TE Austin Seferian Jenkins Washington
or
OG Cyril Richardson Baylor

3) DT Shamar Stephen UConn

4) OLB Johnathan Brown Illinois

5) RB Carlos Hyde Ohio St.

6a) CB Keith McGill Utah

6b) DT Brent Urban Virginia

6c) DE Josh Mauro Stanford

7) S Jimmie Ward Northern Illinois

1) TE Austin Seferian Jenkins Washington
or
OG Cyril Richardson Baylor

3) DT Shamar Stephen UConn

4) OLB Johnathan Brown Illinois

5) RB Carlos Hyde Ohio St.

6a) CB Keith McGill Utah

6b) DT Brent Urban Virginia

6c) DE Josh Mauro Stanford

7) S Jimmie Ward Northern Illinois

Exciting. A Jimmie Ward sighting. Nice!

This would be a very very nice mock.

14 catches....

Rnd 1

Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame.

Perfect size for a Patriots' DT and ideal athleticism for a Patriots' first round pick. There are a couple of concerns, namely his strength and the fact that he loses the leverage battle too often but those can be addressed in the weight room and TC.

Rnd 2

Travis Swanson, OL, Arkansas

I'm really starting to like the Patriots fit for Travis Swanson. He has reportedly long arms and quick feet (poss 7.39 3-cone) and seems to get rave reviews from those who have coached him. He's also been team captain the last two years. SEC experience will also sit well with BB.

Rnd 3

CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa

What BB hoped to be getting with Jake Ballard.

Rnd 4

Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State.

At 6-1, 330 lbs, he has ideal size for the NT position and his strength is apparent on tape - his feet aren't that sluggish either. If there is a technique deficiency, hopefully that can be corrected with some consistency at coaching (he's had four coaches in his time at Arkansas State).

Or

Shamar Stephen, DT, UConn

Can't make my mind up between these two. Shamar is 6-5 and 323lbs and is supposedly very good against the run but plays with sufficient quickness that he can threaten the pocket from time to time.

Rnd 5

Logan Thomas, OP, Virginia Tech

OP? What's that?

Offensive Player is what. Logan Thomas has probably shot his bolt as a QB so I'm looking at him as an athletically elite and NFL sized prospect who could be used situationally at first on offense (FB/TE) and could be groomed to be a TE in the long-term. There's not a great deal of risk with the upside of getting a 6-6, 250lb TE that runs in the 4.5/4.6 range.

Rnd 6A

Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State

I don't have Logan Thomas a a QB candidate so I still think we need one. This is a bit of a change up but I've read some things which say that his coaching staff love him and that he's very smart. His coach of course is Urban so it's possible this kid comes with a personal recommendation. His arm by the way is incredible so I think there's some nice upside with this pick.

Rnd 6B

Marcus Williams, CB, North Dakota State

Good size at 5-11, 197 lbs and runs in the 4.4/4.5 range and is generally regarded as the 2nd best FCS CB prospect behind Pierre Desir. Check out this scouting report:

4 Small-School NFL Draft Prospects You Must Watch in FCS National Championship | Bleacher Report

Marcus Williams vs GA Southern & Lehigh 2011 - YouTube

Rnd 7

Brandon Wimberly, WR, Nevada

When I was watching some Zach Sudfeld tape, this guy really stood out to me with good body control and making some excellent catches. And when you consider that in 2011 he was shot in the chest and almost died, he becomes a guy you root for. So for this mock at least, I'm rooting for Brandon Wimberly to become a Patriot in May.

brandon wimberly football highlights - YouTube

I really like this mock draft, you have filled some serious holes with some serious talent.

And while 3 DT's seems like overkill, the fact the Tuitt can slide out to DE helps us in case of injury.

If I could make 2 changes, I would pull off Guiton and Thomas and replace them with a pair of Kansas State players OT Cornelius Logan of SS Ty Zimmerman (depending on how he runs).

Excellent effort on this mock draft.

I really like this mock draft, you have filled some serious holes with some serious talent.

And while 3 DT's seems like overkill, the fact the Tuitt can slide out to DE helps us in case of injury.

If I could make 2 changes, I would pull off Guiton and Thomas and replace them with a pair of Kansas State players OT Cornelius Logan of SS Ty Zimmerman (depending on how he runs).

Excellent effort on this mock draft.

Thanks.

Actually there are only two DT's, I just couldn't choose between Stephens or Carrethers so put both in just to draw attention to both. Both Thomas and Guiton are upside luxury picks so I'm not wedded to them. I don't have a problem with your changes (it's Cornelius Lucas btw which I'm sure you know)

If you're looking at a hard hitting safety, have you looked at Nickoe Whitley? Here he lays out huge OG Larry Warford and still makes the tackle:

Nickoe Whitley hit on Morgan Newton and La'Rod King - YouTube

2014 New England Patriots Mock Draft - 10/21/13 :D

Round 6 - Marquis Flowers, OLB - Arizona (204)

Round 6 Compensatory - Alfred Blue, RB - Louisiana State (207)

Round 7 - Brandon Dixon, CB - Northwest Missouri State (240)

Comment: Cornerback Marquice Cole is worthless

2014 New England Patriots Mock Draft - 10/21/13 :D

Round 6 - Marquis Flowers, OLB - Arizona (204)

Round 6 Compensatory - Alfred Blue, RB - Louisiana State (207)

Round 7 - Brandon Dixon, CB - Northwest Missouri State (240)

Comment: Cornerback Marquice Cole is worthless

What's with the Purifoy to Fuller switch? I know your last mock was Seniors only but you don't make that distinction this time. Do you now prefer Fuller over Purifoy?

Do you / Guys see cornerback as a major need to pick the first 1-2 rounds? I agree Cole shouldn't be on the field AND Arrington belongs ONLY as nickle ( still hate the contract ;) )

And what about safety? Mean Harmon have looked fine, Wilson not so much and do any have a clue if Ebner Progress toward becomeing a 4-5 safety more then a special team ace only ?

Do you / Guys see cornerback as a major need to pick the first 1-2 rounds? I agree Cole shouldn't be on the field AND Arrington belongs ONLY as nickle ( still hate the contract ;) )

And what about safety? Mean Harmon have looked fine, Wilson not so much and do any have a clue if Ebner Progress toward becomeing a 4-5 safety more then a special team ace only ?

The cornerback issue centers around whether they re-sign Talib or not. If they do, there's not much of a demand for one but if they don't, it's potentially a major hole depending on how you view Logan Ryan.

The cornerback issue centers around whether they re-sign Talib or not. If they do, there's not much of a demand for one but if they don't, it's potentially a major hole depending on how you view Logan Ryan.

Honestly i cant see them not resigning OR franchise tag him. Patriots and BB have used to many picks to solve the problem, to simply create another right after fixed it. Ryan i see as a prim nickle corner and 3 option outside.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back