PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

Late round flyer? Do you really think Easley will get out of the 2nd round given that SF took Tank Carradine at #40 coming off an ACL last year?

OTG, BTW, is just as high on Easley as you are:

Category: Dominique Easley -

I'm personally hoping that he makes it until the 3rd round. If you remember, Carradine was a much more celebrated prospect at this time last year whereas Easley is gaining ground simply because Mayock put him in his top five yesterday. He may go in the 2nd, but a guy can hope.

Who thinks Robinson will last until our second? I'd be very much on board if he's there.

I know he is big and comes from O'Brien's system but I don't think we should even think about a wide receiver that early in the draft. Let's focus on the defense and then get a tight end and offensive lineman before we look at a wide receiver. We spent two early picks last year, let's wait to see them develop this year.

I know he is big and comes from O'Brien's system but I don't think we should even think about a wide receiver that early in the draft. Let's focus on the defense and then get a tight end and offensive lineman before we look at a wide receiver. We spent two early picks last year, let's wait to see them develop this year.

I know I'm in the minority on this but (depending on free agency) I think we should look at wide receiver early if the value is there.

This is by all accounts one of the best drafts in years at wide receiver. If there is a guy Bill loves at either 29 or 61 he should take him. It's about getting the best players not filling needs.

And even if it is about filling needs, in my view WR is still a need. Our strength the past few years has been offense. The quickest and easiest way to get back to where we need to be is by giving Brady more weapons. We have players coming back on defines. The team we put out against Denver was basically our starting offense (bar Gronk) and it wasn't pretty.

I don't think of a 4th round pick as an early pick. We have Dobson who is by no means a sure thing but at least played. Boyce didn't play and clearly hadn't picked up the offense. Thompkins fell off the map and just didn't look smooth when out there. None of these are sure things, or can even be trusted to play. Then there is just Amendola, who we can't rely on at this point.

Now all that may scream reliable veteran WR in free agency but I wouldn't be against drafting a young versatile playmaker like Beckham or Cooks. They can play inside or out.

I generally agree with defense over WR, but Robinson is my one exception. He's my second ranked WR and would fit perfectly here. I also don't consider; Boyce an early pick, or that Boyce plays the same role/position as Robinson. I think there's a good chance he isn't around at 29, but if he's around at 62 I wouldn't even have to know who else is on the board. He's be my pick and I'd be the happiest girl in Mass.

I generally agree with defense over WR, but Robinson is my one exception. He's my second ranked WR and would fit perfectly here. I also don't consider; Boyce an early pick, or that Boyce plays the same role/position as Robinson. I think there's a good chance he isn't around at 29, but if he's around at 62 I wouldn't even have to know who else is on the board. He's be my pick and I'd be the happiest girl in Mass.

I'm with Ashley on this one ... I don't want a WR on day 1 or 2 unless the value is ridiculous. And I'm afraid I'm not a Robinson fan - I'd take a number of guys ahead of him if forced to take a WR early.

I'm with Ashley on this one ... I don't want a WR on day 1 or 2 unless the value is ridiculous. And I'm afraid I'm not a Robinson fan - I'd take a number of guys ahead of him if forced to take a WR early.

Well you're certainly entitled to your own opinion. I know we've discussed taking WRs later in the draft unless there's and exception. Robinson is my exception. What is it that you dislike about him?

Well you're certainly entitled to your own opinion. I know we've discussed taking WRs later in the draft unless there's and exception. Robinson is my exception. What is it that you dislike about him?

I don't think he's consistent, he's not a great route runner, and he's a body catcher who doesn't go after the ball aggressively. I pretty much agree with Mackenzie's assessment of him:

Allen Robinson Scouting Report- 2014 NFL Draft

I don't think he's consistent, he's not a great route runner, and he's a body catcher who doesn't go after the ball aggressively. I pretty much agree with Mackenzie's assessment of him:

Allen Robinson Scouting Report- 2014 NFL Draft

Interesting. With all due respect to you and Mackenzie, I don't agree with any of that. I actually think route running could be his greatest strength. One of many at least. The way he changes speeds, and moves his feet in just the right way to create separation is unlike any 20 YO WR prospect I've studied. It reminds me of James Jones who's one of the best route runners in the league.

Does this look like a picture of a player that body catches and isn't aggressive? No. 1 on SC Top Plays: Allen Robinson's End-of-Regulation Catch - Onward State

Interesting. With all due respect to you and Mackenzie, I don't agree with any of that. I actually think route running could be his greatest strength. One of many at least. The way he changes speeds, and moves his feet in just the right way to create separation is unlike any 20 YO WR prospect I've studied. It reminds me of James Jones who's one of the best route runners in the league.

Does this look like a picture of a player that body catches and isn't aggressive? No. 1 on SC Top Plays: Allen Robinson's End-of-Regulation Catch - Onward State

I assumed you would have a different opinion. :D

First go of it, pre-Combine. I'll more than likely do a couple of more after the Combine.

1: Stephon Tuitt DT/Notre Dame
2: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins TE/Washington
3: Marcus Martin C/USC
4. Antone Exum CB SS/VA Tech (another option here could be McGill)
6. Aaron Lynch DE/So. Florida
6. Jeremiah George LB/Iowa State
6. Aaron Colvin CB/Oklahoma
7. Chris Boyd WR/Vandy

In the end, I did a coin flip between Tuitt and Hageman since I like both of them.

It's about getting the best players not filling needs.

Food for thought:

Q: Going into the draft, as you are formulating it, what will your thoughts be? As you are talking to your coaches: This will be a successful draft if we…?
BB: Improve our team. That’s what we are trying to do: improve our team. I don’t know what the opportunities are going to be. We will have to wait this weekend to see what they are, but I hope we can take advantage of our opportunities and improve our team. We will know that this fall, we will know it next fall and we will know it the fall after that.

Bill Belichick pre-draft transcript - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

The question is, given the resources at hand, which is most useful? A TE? A WR? A DL? etc., etc., etc.

First go of it, pre-Combine. I'll more than likely do a couple of more after the Combine.

7. Chris Boyd WR/Vandy

In the end, I did a coin flip between Tuitt and Hageman since I like both of them.

I love it :rocker:

Fair enough, I respect your opinion. Nice to see another girl on here, especially from Mass :)

7. Chris Boyd WR/Vandy

You hit all the need positions that we have. I really like Hageman as well. I would take him before Tuitt. I find there are a lot of mixed feelings about Tuitt, seems like people either really like him(like Kiper) or don't like him at all (like Mayock) . Going to be a very interesting combine and draft!!!!

You hit all the need positions that we have. I really like Hageman as well. I would take him before Tuitt. I find there are a lot of mixed feelings about Tuitt, seems like people either really like him(like Kiper) or don't like him at all (like Mayock) . Going to be a very interesting combine and draft!!!!

Like I said, I did a coin flip between the two. Even before that, though, I was debating with myself about whether or not I even thought Hageman would be available at #29.

ASJ in the 2nd and Martin in the 3rd would be no brainers for me. Exum has versatility (can play CB and SS) and can give us that physical nastiness at SS while not being a liability in coverage either. Lynch would be a potential steal with a sixth round pick. Wasn't sure on George because of his size, but he's athletic and a ballhawk. If the Pats are going to try to go more athletic in the LB corps, he would be a nice fit. Colvin is a project that we'll need to shelf in year one, but could pay dividends going forward. He's a physical press corner. Boyd is a 6'4" speedster that has seen his stock mainly fall because of the situation at Vanderbilt. I would do it, though, given that Vandy still let him attend class and he didn't have issues with the law before this.

Mayoclinic said:
Trade the pick to SF for 56 and 61 and get Dominique Easley and one of Marcus Martin/Christian Jones and I like it even more.

Barring a Mallett trade, that's probably my preferred scenario, unless some absurd value is on the board at 29: trade 29 to SF for 56 and 61. Then, with our 1st 4 picks draft a TE, DT, best defensive player and OG/C, in some order. Hopefully get lucky in the 4th and land a big time talent like Aaron Lynch or Antone Exum, and take some shots at guys with a lot of upside in the late rounds.

Alright, for the sake of starting discussion, I'll play along. I'm going with a more plausible Houston trade. Let's say they give us #65 instead of #33. Why not? I also used Craig Turner's comp pick projections to put the picks about where they should be # wise.

1. #29-Trent Murphy, Stanford DE/OLB 6-6 261
Nink and Jones can't play every snap. 15 sacks last year
2. #62-Daniel McCullers, Tennessee NT/DT 6-7 350+
Healthy appetite should consist of 2 blockers, Wilfork's heir
3. #65 (Hou)-Weston Richburg, Colorado St. C 6-4 300
Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Vollmer, Cannon, Kline, this guy
3. #93-C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa St. TE 6-6 262
Gronk insurance
4. #128-Keith McGill, Utah CB/S 6-3 214
For the love of God Bill, no more DB smurphs!
6. #196(Phil)-Cody Hoffman, Brigham Young WR 6-4 218
For the love of God Bill, no more WR smurphs!
6. #204-Ryan Hewitt, Stanford FB/TE 6-4 245
Love hybrids
6. #210(Comp)-Tom Savage, Pittsburgh QB 6-4 245
I feel compelled to take a QB with a 6th Rd Comp Pick
7. #242-Matt Hall, Bellhaven OT 6-9 325
Why not? He's huge!

Fire Away!

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes