PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 NFL Combine Thread

Thank you, manx! I'm entering my wind down period at work and will begin hunting film and videos to watch.

Marcus Lattimore told me he met with Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears last night.

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/305048081857122304

I would not be sad if we picked him. sounds like a great kid. Apparently turned down an invite to the inauguration so he could continue working on his rehab.

Cue, we don't need a RB and we only have 5 picks replies in 5..4..3..2..1 :D

I don't care - Lattimore in the 4th or 5th has the potential to be a tremendous steal.

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/305048081857122304

I would not be sad if we picked him. sounds like a great kid. Apparently turned down an invite to the inauguration so he could continue working on his rehab.

Cue, we don't need a RB and we only have 5 picks replies in 5..4..3..2..1 :D

I don't care - Lattimore in the 4th or 5th has the potential to be a tremendous steal.

Serious health question marks there though. Even still, he looked great earlier in the 2012 campaign before he was injured again. Kid was a stud, though. If he can regain that form and remain healthy, he'll be a killer in the NFL.

Serious health question marks there though. Even still, he looked great earlier in the 2012 campaign before he was injured again. Kid was a stud, though. If he can regain that form and remain healthy, he'll be a killer in the NFL.

Whilst I didn't agree, there were people saying he was better than Trent Richardson.

Apparently we've also met with Oday Aboushi. We really are looking at 2nd-3rd round RT or OG converts (Aboushi, Wagner, Bakhtiari, Pugh) so Terron Armstead might still be a possibility.

Mentioned this guy months ago and Sciz likes him too:

6'8 1/2" Luke Marquardt says he has talks set with the Pats and Colts.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBurke_SI/status/305063590933692418

And yet another:

UNC T Brennan Williams has met with Patriots scouts. Father, Brent, played for Pats. Grew up in Easton, went to CM.

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/305066320167317505

Sounds like the Pats are really looking hard at the O-line. Could mean that they are planning on letting Vollmer walk...

Sounds like the Pats are really looking hard at the O-line. Could mean that they are planning on letting Vollmer walk...

Yup.

First round WR (Woods, Patterson)

2nd or 3rd round OT.

Whilst I didn't agree, there were people saying he was better than Trent Richardson.

A healthy Lattimore, pre-injury was not only better than Richardson; Richardson couldn't even carry his cleats (IMO). Whether he'll ever regain that form is anyone's guess but it sounds like the kid is really focused and determined to get healthy. I'm rooting for him.

A healthy Lattimore, pre-injury was not only better than Richardson; Richardson couldn't even carry his cleats (IMO). Whether he'll ever regain that form is anyone's guess but it sounds like the kid is really focused and determined to get healthy. I'm rooting for him.

I don't buy that. Lattimore didn't have half the power of Richardson. Richardson is an absolute beast. Lattimore was a great RB though and hopefully will be again. From all accounts, he seems like a fantastic guy and I'd root for him anywhere (except the Jets).

I don't buy that. Lattimore didn't have half the power of Richardson. Richardson is an absolute beast. Lattimore was a great RB though and hopefully will be again. From all accounts, he seems like a fantastic guy and I'd root for him anywhere (except the Jets).

Like I said.......IMO.

Just because he might not have Richardson's power doesnt mean he can't be a better overall back, Richardson hasn't exactly been off to a great start in the NFL, I'd say the culprit is his weak acceleration, I'm not sure how Lattimore was in that regard.

I wouldnt mind spending a mid-late round pick on Lattimore.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/304761562827223040

He's my favorite late-round OT, but that might be changing if his stock increases too much. Had Jackie Slater as his OL coach.

Looks like Sid Vicious huh? Well at least he has a backup career in case he flops from he NFL - Pro Wrestler. They love having pro athletes with imposing size entertain for them.

Remember Shaq had a stint at wrestling? LOL

I think we'll look at OL but probably not till later rounds unless we are not keeping Vollmer.

Tavon Austin: I’m the best player in the draft | ProFootballTalk

Combine this with his size, and I'm guessing he'll be scaring some teams off.

Calling himself the best? That doesn't scare me off. You need confidence to play the WR position. Remember Deion? He was probably the ****iest player in the NFL but he backed it up and it worked for him. The size is a little iffy, but not that far off from Harvin or Welker. No that's not what I don't like about Austin. Rather, I think we'd be better off getting an outside receiver like Hopkins than another slot machine.

Even if we let Wes go, I think Edelman can fill adquately. Not to mention we already have monster tight ends to run inside the numbers. We lack that deep fast physical threat who can high point balls down the field and make life easier for Brady.

Calling himself the best? That doesn't scare me off. You need confidence to play the WR position. Remember Deion? He was probably the ****iest player in the NFL but he backed it up and it worked for him.

Deion was 6'1" 195lbs and was an athletic freak. Austin is smaller than Welker and doesn't seem to be a freak near the level of Sanders.

Even if we let Wes go, I think Edelman can fill adquately.

... despite all the evidence to the contrary. Regardless, I'm not going to get into Welker/Edelman here in the draft forum.

Calling himself the best? That doesn't scare me off. You need confidence to play the WR position. Remember Deion? He was probably the ****iest player in the NFL but he backed it up and it worked for him. The size is a little iffy, but not that far off from Harvin or Welker. No that's not what I don't like about Austin. Rather, I think we'd be better off getting an outside receiver like Hopkins than another slot machine.

Even if we let Wes go, I think Edelman can fill adquately. Not to mention we already have monster tight ends to run inside the numbers. We lack that deep fast physical threat who can high point balls down the field and make life easier for Brady.

Why do people keep saying that Harvin and Welker are similar in size? Harvin measured out at 5'11 1/8" at his combine. Welker measured out at 5'8 6/8" at his Pro Day. That's over 2 inches difference between them.

Austin measured 5'8 4/8". So he's a 1/4" shorter than Welker, but 20lbs lighter. And that could make all the difference in the world between him being on the field and being on the sidelines with an injury..

Deion was 6'1" 195lbs and was an athletic freak. Austin is smaller than Welker and doesn't seem to be a freak near the level of Sanders.

... despite all the evidence to the contrary. Regardless, I'm not going to get into Welker/Edelman here in the draft forum.

I'm comparing attitude not size.

I'm not saying Edelman is going to turn into a 1,300 yard receiver like Welker. But he has made the plays when he has been healthy and on the field. If you can get even 75% of Welker for a lot less than 10m dollars, I think realistically he is going to be the Welker replacement. Other free agent guys who are cheaper that will be available include Bass, Amendola, etc.

And yes, I still stand by the statement that the Pats need a true outside receiver more than they need a slot receiver. If Welker walks, the team needs receivers.

Why do people keep saying that Harvin and Welker are similar in size? Harvin measured out at 5'11 1/8" at his combine. Welker measured out at 5'8 6/8" at his Pro Day. That's over 2 inches difference between them.

Austin measured 5'8 4/8". So he's a 1/4" shorter than Welker, but 20lbs lighter. And that could make all the difference in the world between him being on the field and being on the sidelines with an injury..

College players do bulk up for the NFL. They have this thing called a strength and conditioning program. I'm thinking outside receiver is more needed in the early rounds of the draft. Maybe we can draft an Ace Sanders in the late rounds, 6th+ to impact our return game. And oh yeah Sanders is even smaller than Tavon Austin - 5'7 173.

Tavon Austin: I’m the best player in the draft | ProFootballTalk

Combine this with his size, and I'm guessing he'll be scaring some teams off.

To be fair:

The room was packed with football players, young ones with a million questions and veterans with no doubts. It was Texas Tech's first team meeting of 2000, and coach Mike Leach was doing a sociological study. From behind the podium Leach watched his newcomers size one another up -- the walk-ons, the high school track stars and the big-name recruits who once owned the spotlight on Friday nights. Standing in the middle of them all, a head shorter than most, was a freshman receiver from Oklahoma City named Wesley Welker. Leach met his gaze and couldn't help but hold it. "If you've seen that Foghorn Leghorn cartoon, Wes was like the chicken hawk," Leach recalls. "He was shorter than everybody, one of those barrel-chested guys with thick ankles. I was thinking, This fella is pretty sure of himself. He had this steely-eyed stare, this look that said, I can whip all their asses."

SI.com - Writers - Damon Hack: Wes Welker has been the Patriots' sure thing - Tuesday January 29, 2008 9:14AM

Yup.

First round WR (Woods, Patterson)

2nd or 3rd round OT.

The Patriots have interviewed (and brought in for visits) players they have almost no intention of, or expectation of, ever drafting. "Due diligence," as they say.

In other words: I'm not betting my car on this. Your car, maybe. ;)

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back