PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That Atlanta Offense (American Spelling!) How do We Stop It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What word is spelled differently in the UK?
Too many. The most ridiculous is "whilst." They're also confused about plural references, saying things like "Atlanta have" vs. "Atlanta has." Americans are better at English than the English. ;)

Plant Ryan on his butt all day and get him out of the pocket

Score more points than Atlanta would also help :)

They're also confused about plural references, saying things like "Atlanta have" vs. "Atlanta has." Americans are better at English than the English. ;)
Because "Atlanta" is referencing a collective noun, it's actually debatable which is correct. I prefer the American way but it's not as clear cut as singular or plural with collective nouns.

stomp Ryan's toes all day and ...uh....wait...sorry, wrong Ryan

Because "Atlanta" is referencing a collective noun, it's actually debatable which is correct. I prefer the American way but it's not as clear cut as singular or plural with collective nouns.
I think the British usage simply is wrong. The difference is that (for example) Atlanta, as a team, is an ENTITY -- not a bunch of individuals. Therefore, the entity "has," not "have."

Double Julio Jones, and if that means Sanu and whoever make plays, then so be it. Stop them in the red zone. What worries me most is Freeman and Coleman in the open field. If they shred our linebackers, then good luck! Nightmare for the DBs. That is what is probably going to keep Belichick awake at night.

Also, hope that Ryan throws INTs. Until this year, he was 2 to 1 TDs to INTs.

I second that, how do we slow down their pass catching backs out of the backfield? Bring a safety into the box with Chung?

Its worth noting what the Eagles did against them this season. Can we replicate their game plan in any way shape or form? Since Falcons only put up 15 pts against them.

Looking at it like that, it makes zero sense! Never thought of it like that!

Lived in the UK for 3 years. Had a blast. Enjoyed the back and forward jabs now and then.

Patriots need to run the ball effectively. Keep that historic offense off the field. Julio will need to be double teamed. They still have those running backs though. I think this is the game we miss Gronk. All in all, this isn't looking good.

Our DB's catch the balls that hit them right in the chest....unlike GB?

Too many. The most ridiculous is "whilst." They're also confused about plural references, saying things like "Atlanta have" vs. "Atlanta has." Americans are better at English than the English. ;)

Not sure if trolling or just ignorant..

I don't know about America but...in Rhode Island we pronounce it "ignant". I'll give you an example...

go ovah dere and pahk da cah..wassamadda wid you? you ignant or sumpin'?

I've watched the Falcons a handful of times this year, including their loss to the Eagles in late November.

When their offense is on the field, the answer is: you don't. The have so many weapons and there is no question they will move the ball. Hopefully the Pats can bog them down in the red zone but they're good there as well (10th in the league in red zone td percentage, right behind the Pats).

Philly ran the ball for over 200 yards. The Falcons scored 15 points and lost. This is the formula. Our defense has been great all year, and will need to get some stops, but the third down percentage of opponents is troublesome to me. To win this game I believe running the ball will be critical.

I've watched the Falcons a handful of times this year, including their loss to the Eagles in late November.

When their offense is on the field, the answer is: you don't. The have so many weapons and there is no question they will move the ball. Hopefully the Pats can bog them down in the red zone but they're good there as well (10th in the league in red zone td percentage, right behind the Pats).

Philly ran the ball for over 200 yards. The Falcons scored 15 points and lost. This is the formula. Our defense has been great all year, and will need to get some stops, but the third down percentage of opponents is troublesome to me. To win this game I believe running the ball will be critical.

Yep, I said it in the Falcons defense thread that Blount needs to be on his game. Not only crucial to attacking their D but also in attacking their O. I know teams vary year to year but the Falcons setup has been generally the same. Stud offense and 'good enough' defense since 2008. Need to attack that defense especially in the run game. in both 2009 and 2013 games against them I believe we had alot of success on the ground.

Personnel wise, Atlanta is a similar offense to Pittsburgh. All-pro WR, two great RBs, some decent WR depth in Sanu and Gabriel, very good line. I can't speak much for their scheme, but I see the blueprint set during the Pittsburgh game. Play a base nickel, doubling Jones, with Chung playing a big role in run support.

Personnel wise, Atlanta is a similar offense to Pittsburgh. All-pro WR, two great RBs, some decent WR depth in Sanu and Gabriel, very good line. I can't speak much for their scheme, but I see the blueprint set during the Pittsburgh game. Play a base nickel, doubling Jones, with Chung playing a big role in run support.
Yeah, they're better than the Steelers but it seems like the way to stop them, from a high level, is similar. Stop the run and Jones. Make them beat you with Sanu and Gabriel. Their line is good but not as good as Pittsburgh's. I'm not going to say I feel good about stopping them but they aren't an unmoveable force either.

I don't know about America but...in Rhode Island we pronounce it "ignant". I'll give you an example...

go ovah dere and pahk da cah..wassamadda wid you? you ignant or sumpin'?

I can't get ovah dere ovah heah, I'm ovah heah.

Yeah, they're better than the Steelers but it seems like the way to stop them, from a high level, is similar. Stop the run and Jones. Make them beat you with Sanu and Gabriel. Their line is good but not as good as Pittsburgh's. I'm not going to say I feel good about stopping them but they aren't an unmoveable force either.
but the #1 thing w/ steelers was stop the run

against falcons #1 thing is stop ryan

but the #1 thing w/ steelers was stop the run

against falcons #1 thing is stop ryan

The problem is, I'm not sure that is the case.

Even though Bell is better than Freeman/Coleman individually, ATL as a team is either very big and tall (Julio, Sanu, their TEs) or fast and powerful (Freeman/Coleman).

The question is, can we stop a run game built off speed like ATL? I actually feel Freeman/Coleman are more of a threat than Bell was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST