PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That Atlanta Offense (American Spelling!) How do We Stop It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit patriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
You don't need to be a highly paid media analyst to know that the strength of the Falcons is on the Offense. The question is, how would you minimise their effectiveness so our O can smear their D?

This seems a lot harder than Pittsburgh, where the idea was to double team Brown, minimise Bell, and get Rapistberger to beat you with his back up WR's. The plan was easy, doing it was the hard part, and it was done beautifully.

So, how would you anticipate we negate their weapons?

I would have to watch more of their games, study the film, and look at what other people have observed. But I can tell you this..... 30 is the magic number for the Patriots

(L) BUCCANEERS 31 FALCONS 24
(W) FALCONS 23 BRONCOS 16
(L) FALCONS 24 SEAHAWKS 26
(L) CHARGERS 33 FALCONS 30
(L) FALCONS 15 EAGLES 24
(L) CHIEFS 29 FALCONS 28

The Falcons are 1-4 when they score 30 or fewer points. The Patriots will have a better chance of winning this game, if they can hold Atlanta under the 30-point threshold as much as possible.

Last edited:
This is kinda like the Mike shanahan offense which BB has had issues with .Will be interesting to see what BB comes up with.

What word is spelled differently in the UK?

Hit the backs out of the backfield in passing situations. Hit their receivers at the line.

No free releases and trust me, the Pats will get pressure on Ryan. This is the type of matchup that BB gets a little defense genius in his pants.

Hit the backs out of the backfield in passing situations. Hit their receivers at the line.

No free releases and trust me, the Pats will get pressure on Ryan. This is the type of matchup that BB gets a little defense genius in his pants.

I think bill relishes the opportunity with these big offenses. I think you have to get physical with their wrs.

I expect we saw some of the answer last night except I think Sanu may require additional attention.

So: Rowe on Jones with Safety help over the top. Butler on Sanu. Pats Run D continues it's dominance.

Force Ryan to his third read and pressure him with an occasional blitz or stunt etc....

The game plan will be to stop Atlanta's offense (offense) at least one time more than their defense stops Brady and crew.

Btw: The Atlanta defense was ranked 24th in the regular season although they have played better as of late. Hopefully the Pats will be able to capitalize on that.

Obviously not close to the same level of an offense, but Rowe and bis big frame did a good job against A.J. Green against the Bengals earlier in the season. They put a safety over the top of Jones, another safety deep, let Butler handle the number two, and hope the run D can hold up. The Bengals ran 28 times for 87 yards. A third safety probably replaces a LB.

I could see a similar plan, although with more big plays. But I think BB gladly trades 4 yard runs instead of 25 yard passes.

Red zone will matter too. The Falcons are 9th in red zone offense, good, but not amazing like a lot of their offense. Our red zone D is a strength so could steal some points there.

Stopping the big guys is similar to the Steelers. Stud WR and running game. Make them beat you with the others. Now, Gabriel and Sanu are better than the Steelers' others (although I like Rogers) but if you we can slow the running game and Jones, I think BB will think he can outscore them.

Double Julio Jones, and if that means Sanu and whoever make plays, then so be it. Stop them in the red zone. What worries me most is Freeman and Coleman in the open field. If they shred our linebackers, then good luck! Nightmare for the DBs. That is what is probably going to keep Belichick awake at night.

Also, hope that Ryan throws INTs. Until this year, he was 2 to 1 TDs to INTs.

We have to hold tbe falcons under 26 to win this game. I wish we could get more pressure on the QB.

We have to hold tbe falcons under 26 to win this game. I wish we could get more pressure on the QB.

I think getting pressure on Ryan is important. maybe he is a different quarterback, but in the past he always seemed to me like the guy who if you can get pressure on him he will give you some gifts.

I think holding them to 25 is reasonable as I believe the pats will get 30+ on this defense

How? With the #1 defense in the NFL.
The bigger question is" how does Atlanta's soft 29th ranked defense stop the Patriots offensive machine" ?

Honestly, Atlanta's O is fn awesome. It is very rare that I even see an offense as a threat to our chances of winning. That is usually reserved for a Peyton led team or Brees and that is about it, but now the Falcons enter into this elite offensive club that not even the Packers are in.

The easiest way to stop them would be to take a page from the Giants and destroy their line, but a more realistic approach would be to double Julio and stop their running game, specifically Freeman. Make them one dimensional. Brady is one of the only qbs I have ever seen function at an elite level without a running game whatsoever. We have seen games where we don't even attempt to run and still succeed. If Matt Ryan can beat us under those circumstances then I will just have to give him kudos.

This is not Belichick's 1st rodeo against unstoppable offenses. Here are some offensive Points Statistics:

1990 Buffalo Bills final 3 games:
44-51-19

2001 St. Louis Rams final 7 games:
34-38-42-31-45-29-17

2003 Indianapolis Colts final 3 games:
41-38-14

2004 Indianapolis COlts final 4 games:
34-14-49-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes