PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TEs in this draft???

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is this truly a "DEEP" draft for TEs? Or is it Hockenson (Elite) and a bunch of average players behind him??

Is this truly a "DEEP" draft for TEs? Or is it Hockenson (Elite) and a bunch of average players behind him??
Its a very good class & on par w 2017 imo

Hockenson, Fant, Irv Smith - Those are the top 3 guys. Even the 2nd Rounders and later on would be good additions.

Very deep, lots of solid starters it seems, some stars, some fliers, some quality producers

Fant basically has T-Rex arms....small target area

Fant basically has T-Rex arms....small target area
They're longer than hockenson's. 33.5 vs 32.25. Gronk's are 34.25.

I could see the pick being FANT. I wouldn't FAINT if it were FANT!

Sternburger is my te of choice. Man he had a field day in the sec in the deep seam.

Brady would drool to have a guy like that running the deep seam for us next year.

Are there a lot of TE's that come out of Iowa or is that a false perception of mine?

What about Dax Raymond out of Utah State in the later rounds? Good speed, excellent catch radius, and a more than willing blocker. He needs to improve his route running, but he'd be on my radar late.

Are there a lot of TE's that come out of Iowa or is that a false perception of mine?

Not a lot of them, really; it's just that having Kittle, Fant, and Hockenson in a three-year period is putting them on the map.

The tight end from LSU appears to be rising up draft boards. I had him mocked to us on the sixth Round, but a lot of people have him in the fourth and some in the third.

Him, sternburger and a healthy gronkowski (izzo on the practice squad) would be a nice stable for 2019.

I'm liking Josh Oliver from San Jose St, but he's not a great blocker. None of these guys are.

Oliver is the only guy I've seen so far that you could isolate on a CB, and he'd win that matchup.

I do think he has blocking potential though, to clarify. He shows some strength, just a little indecisive about going for the block. Also in his defense, SJSU is absolute garbage.

Another guy is Kahale Warring. He runs some really nice routes for a big guy. He seems like a tough guy too. I'd label him a Patriots guy.

Last edited:
I'm liking Josh Oliver from San Jose St, but he's not a great blocker. None of these guys are.

Oliver is the only guy I've seen so far that you could isolate on a CB, and he'd win that matchup.

I do think he has blocking potential though, to clarify. He shows some strength, just a little indecisive about going for the block. Also in his defense, SJSU is absolute garbage.

Another guy is Kahale Warring. He runs some really nice routes for a big guy. He seems like a tough guy too. I'd label him a Patriots guy.

Warring would require Gronk returning as he’s a development guy, albeit with strong upside. I could see them using him as a blocking TE that offers some help in the pass game that replaces Gronk should he retire at the end of next season.

NB “replace Gronk” is meant relatively.

Warring would require Gronk returning as he’s a development guy, albeit with strong upside. I could see them using him as a blocking TE that offers some help in the pass game that replaces Gronk should he retire at the end of next season.

NB “replace Gronk” is meant relatively.

I don't know, he might be a guy who's ready to play. SDSU runs a pro style offense and asks their TEs to do actual TE things. It's not like I know a ton about him, but I think he could play.

I just don't see a lot of great talent at TE this year. Just a couple guys with some (key word: some) talent that no one is talking about and a couple guys at the top who are just role players, in my opinion.

I don't know, he might be a guy who's ready to play. SDSU runs a pro style offense and asks their TEs to do actual TE things. It's not like I know a ton about him, but I think he could play.

I just don't see a lot of great talent at TE this year. Just a couple guys with some (key word: some) talent that no one is talking about and a couple guys at the top who are just role players, in my opinion.

It’s an ok class once you get past the top two. Obviously Hockenson is the next best thing to Gronk but after that there aren’t many who could be a force in the passing game AND give us Gronk level blocking. But there are reasonable options depending on where we draft. Warring certainly provides upside, blocking potential and enough athleticism to be a good receiver. I think he’s got starter upside. But he came late to the sport so I imagine he’s behind in learning the nuances of the game.

It’s an ok class once you get past the top two. Obviously Hockenson is the next best thing to Gronk but after that there aren’t many who could be a force in the passing game AND give us Gronk level blocking. But there are reasonable options depending on where we draft. Warring certainly provides upside, blocking potential and enough athleticism to be a good receiver. I think he’s got starter upside. But he came late to the sport so I imagine he’s behind in learning the nuances of the game.

Eh, ya I agree about Hockenson.

I still don't see what is so special about Hockenson. Well rounded, sure. But what does he do really well? Seems like a role player that lasts a long time, maybe even has good career numbers, but never does anything amazing.

Daniel Jeremiah calls him the best blocking TE he’s ever scouted. And aside from the forty, which was fine but not great, he had an excellent combine. I think he’s a first rounder for sure but whether he’s the next best thing to Gronk is more debatable.

Daniel Jeremiah calls him the best blocking TE he’s ever scouted. And aside from the forty, which was fine but not great, he had an excellent combine. I think he’s a first rounder for sure but whether he’s the next best thing to Gronk is more debatable.

Looking at him again, I have to say he's a tremendous route runner for a TE. He's going to destroy zone defenses with his awareness of soft spots, and he has the quickness to break away from man. Not the same kind of guy as Gronk, but a good one none the less. He won't be out-athleting or out-jumping anyone, but he has enough to be really good.

The tight end from LSU appears to be rising up draft boards. I had him mocked to us on the sixth Round, but a lot of people have him in the fourth and some in the third.

Him, sternburger and a healthy gronkowski (izzo on the practice squad) would be a nice stable for 2019.
Moreau's a project with high upside, very raw...Day 3 guy

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back