PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teams looking to move up in the draft?

I may be in the minority, but I look at McCarthy and I see a very very raw qb with accuracy issues!!! He needs at least a year on the bench!

I think if we trade down to number 11, McCarthy will be there, provided Denver does not trade above us!

Nobody is trading up to the top 4 for anything but a QB. The WR prospects have 3 blue chippers and a ton of depth, the offer anyone would give you to move up for a WR will be paltry compared to the QB needy teams.
AZ and LAC are both talking trade down.

What nobody, not named Ryan Poles, can do is speak with certainty about what may or may not happen in the top 6 picks in this draft. Speaking absolutes about something unknowable is a fool's errand

Neither Chicago or WAS are trading back. CHI has two top 10 picks and NEED a QB. WAS has 3 top 50 picks, 4 top 75 picks, and 6 top 100 picks. WAS NEEDS a QB. Pats NEED a QB, they won't trade back.

ARI doesn't need a QB, but they already have 3 top 50 picks, 5 top 75 picks, 6 top 100 picks, and 11 overall picks. If anything ARI will be trading up into 2nd RD with all those picks.

Harbaugh is talking about picking a T with #5, and they have 9 picks. LAC #5 is the likeliest trade down pick, since there's now 4 top rated QBs and ARI is taking WR. That moves MIN ahead of NYG for that 4th QB, probably JJ, but who knows, could be Maye or Daniels the way things are going.

#1 CHI - Caleb
#2 WAS - QB
#3 NE - QB
#4 ARI - WR
#5 MIN - QB (trade)

Either go the Phil Perry approach: forget QB in the 1st round and take Minny’s 11/23 plus a high 2025 package;

or

If we think there are 4 top qb’s and we rate the two available to us equally, then find a way to create some interest from AZ for a 1-spot trade down where we upgrade our 34 to their 27, plus maybe their high 4th. An easy deal for AZ to make to ensure they get their man, and we lose nothing and gain something.

Neither Chicago or WAS are trading back. CHI has two top 10 picks and NEED a QB. WAS has 3 top 50 picks, 4 top 75 picks, and 6 top 100 picks. WAS NEEDS a QB. Pats NEED a QB, they won't trade back.

ARI doesn't need a QB, but they already have 3 top 50 picks, 5 top 75 picks, 6 top 100 picks, and 11 overall picks. If anything ARI will be trading up into 2nd RD with all those picks.

Harbaugh is talking about picking a T with #5, and they have 9 picks. LAC #5 is the likeliest trade down pick, since there's now 4 top rated QBs and ARI is taking WR. That moves MIN ahead of NYG for that 4th QB, probably JJ, but who knows, could be Maye or Daniels the way things are going.

#1 CHI - Caleb
#2 WAS - QB
#3 NE - QB
#4 ARI - WR
#5 MIN - QB (trade)
But I think AZ is a candidate to trade up because of all those assets they have, if we offer them a low price. Depends on how much they like Harrison, cause we don’t have a ton of picks and are candidates to trade back with a 5-8 team looking for a WR.

But I think AZ is a candidate to trade up because of all those assets they have, if we offer them a low price. Depends on how much they like Harrison, cause we don’t have a ton of picks and are candidates to trade back with a 5-8 team looking for a WR.
Why on earth would Arizona trade up? Only teams trading up are probably going to be looking for a qb so the wr they want will be there. Literally makes zero sense. Trade up to give patriots extra picks, what to be nice to us? Come on. They’ll use the extra picks to trade around the board
Elsewhere

Either go the Phil Perry approach: forget QB in the 1st round and take Minny’s 11/23 plus a high 2025 package;

or

If we think there are 4 top qb’s and we rate the two available to us equally, then find a way to create some interest from AZ for a 1-spot trade down where we upgrade our 34 to their 27, plus maybe their high 4th. An easy deal for AZ to make to ensure they get their man, and we lose nothing and gain something.
Perry’s has been saying take the QB at 3 for a while now. Curran is the one saying trade down.

Trade up for who? They don't need a QB and top 3 picks are going QB. They can use those picks to trade up into 2nd Rd (they already have 2 1st Rd and 3 3rd Rd).

MIN 11, 23, 2025 1st and one more pick (perhaps one of MIN's 2024 4ths
Nah that's a terrible trade for the Pats.

Guaranteed to miss on the 3 top WRs and 2 top OTs of the draft. Need to give more to sweeten up the team on passing up on filling 1 of their 3 biggest holes this draft with a blue chipper

For me would take 11, 23, '25 1st and '26 1st (Minnesota is without a '24 2nd and '25 2nd, so to me that = another 1st round pick)

Nah that's a terrible trade for the Pats.

Guaranteed to miss on the 3 top WRs and 2 top OTs of the draft. Need to give more to sweeten up the team on passing up on filling 1 of their 3 biggest holes this draft with a blue chipper

For me would take 11, 23, '25 1st and '26 1st (Minnesota is without a '24 2nd and '25 2nd, so to me that = another 1st round pick)
How about 11, a '25 1st and Justin Jefferson?

What nobody, not named Ryan Poles, can do is speak with certainty about what may or may not happen in the top 6 picks in this draft. Speaking absolutes about something unknowable is a fool's errand
You can never know anything with 100% certainty. However, a careful analysis would lead to the evidence all point to the fact that teams overpay to move up for a QB, they don't overpay for a Wide Receiver. Nabors, Odunze and MHJ are all near equal, Nabors is probably better than MHJ in advanced stats and killed his workout. Bowers is an all-time rated TE. 4 Qb's are probably going in the top 8. No team in the top 8 needs to give up assets and trade up for an elite pass catcher as they can get 1 just sitting there. There is not enough separation from MHJ to Nabors and them to Odunze and Bowers. Minnesota needs a QB and can trump any trade up someone might offer for a WR.
Reports also state MN has talked to AZ and LA already and both are open to trading down. The Cardinals GM announced "We are open for business" and Chargers are mocked to trade down in almost every mock draft.
The Bears are gushing over Willliams, not even attending other QB pro days, traded Fields, they are drafting Williams. Ryan Poles has no more insight than anyone else on the picks after that.

Trade up for who? They don't need a QB and top 3 picks are going QB. They can use those picks to trade up into 2nd Rd (they already have 2 1st Rd and 3 3rd Rd).
Trade up for Harrison if they think that the Chargers are going to jump them. If Harrison is that special to AZ, then that's the only way they'll be assured of getting him if they think we're about to trade with LA.

AZ wouldn't pay a boatload cause Nabors looks good too, but would they swap 27 for 34 and give us one their three 3rd's? That's very much in the realm.

You can never know anything with 100% certainty. However, a careful analysis would lead to the evidence all point to the fact that teams overpay to move up for a QB, they don't overpay for a Wide Receiver. Nabors, Odunze and MHJ are all near equal, Nabors is probably better than MHJ in advanced stats and killed his workout. Bowers is an all-time rated TE. 4 Qb's are probably going in the top 8. No team in the top 8 needs to give up assets and trade up for an elite pass catcher as they can get 1 just sitting there. There is not enough separation from MHJ to Nabors and them to Odunze and Bowers. Minnesota needs a QB and can trump any trade up someone might offer for a WR.
Reports also state MN has talked to AZ and LA already and both are open to trading down. The Cardinals GM announced "We are open for business" and Chargers are mocked to trade down in almost every mock draft.
The Bears are gushing over Willliams, not even attending other QB pro days, traded Fields, they are drafting Williams. Ryan Poles has no more insight than anyone else on the picks after that.
All it would take is for AZ to be lusting after Harrison, and for them to fear that we'll deal the pick to the Chargers. With those 2 conditions, AZ would want to trade up to 3 if the price is low.

All it would take is for AZ to be lusting after Harrison, and for them to fear that we'll deal the pick to the Chargers. With those 2 conditions, AZ would want to trade up to 3 if the price is low.
True, just cannot find a single rumor/source suggesting that's the case.
If Pats traded down for a low price, AZ could then sell the pick to Minny for 3 firsts.

Maybe Arizona feels Murray is too average for $36m per year for the next 4-5 years and they would rather go with a nearly free rookie QB like McCarthy or Nix. I doubt it’s the case but we don’t know what’s going to happen until it happens (I’m copywriting that).

The first sentence Perry is stating this is a Curran mock draft…
Keep reading, my man.
Ladies and gentlemen, we proudly present to you The 2024 Tom E. Curran Mock Draft!

No, Tom's not writing this one. But we wanted to put together a mock that lays out what exactly the Patriots could come away with if they go ahead and execute the kind of trade our fearless Patriots Insider has supported ever since the Vikings added a second first-round pick.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back