PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Team Who Might Want To Draft A Quarterback At The End Of The First

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We will all continue to follow the biggest story of the draft: the competition for the first 5 QB's.

STIPULATE FOR A SECOND
that all 5 are gone by 20
=====================
The second competition will be to move into the bottom of the first to pick their favorite of the second tier of QB's. WASH, NO and PITT are all being discussed as possibilities. getting the extra year to develop the quarterback is an important reason to want to draft a future QB in the frist.

Others might include anyone who lost in the competition for the top 5, perhaps plus others who might be interested like CAR.

Washington is a prime contender in this category, with their current QB depth chart at Ryan Fitzpatrick (turns 39 this season - how did he last this long!), Taylor Heinicke and ?

Right now the Bears have either Andy Dalton or Nick Foles, so they are a possibility.

Keep an eye on Miami, who saw Tua struggle at times last year; if nothing else the Dolphins need a backup in case of injury, and have plenty of draft picks available.

Indy may want somebody as a backup to Carson Wentz. I'm guessing Pittsburgh will wait until next year to look for Roethlisberger's replacement.

Washington is a prime contender in this category, with their current QB depth chart at Ryan Fitzpatrick (turns 39 this season - how did he last this long!), Taylor Heinicke and ?

Right now the Bears have either Andy Dalton or Nick Foles, so they are a possibility.

Keep an eye on Miami, who saw Tua struggle at times last year; if nothing else the Dolphins need a backup in case of injury, and have plenty of draft picks available.
Don't the phins have Brisett as a Backup for Tua if I remember correct. I guess they won't draft a qb this year after the trade down..
I agree on WFT and Chicago. I guess they look for options to trade up in the first. Chicago tried a huge package for Wilson to sources so I guess if someone they like falls they will try and get him.
Indy may want somebody as a backup to Carson Wentz. I'm guessing Pittsburgh will wait until next year to look for Roethlisberger's replacement.

I'm guessing Pittsburgh will wait until next year to look for Roethlisberger's replacement.
How many years will Ben play? He signed a 1 year contract with voidable extra years.

In any case, it would seem right to bring in a 2nd tier QB now, and hopefully have them ready if necessary in 2022.

Don't the phins have Brisett as a Backup for Tua if I remember correct. I guess they won't draft a qb this year after the trade down..
I agree on WFT and Chicago. I guess they look for options to trade up in the first. Chicago tried a huge package for Wilson to sources so I guess if someone they like falls they will try and get him.
You are right, I completely forgot about Miami signing Brissett. Cross them off the list.

How many years will Ben play? He signed a 1 year contract with voidable extra years.

In any case, it would seem right to bring in a 2nd tier QB now, and hopefully have them ready if necessary in 2022.
Good point.

Earlier in the offseason I thought the Steelers were a strong possibility to draft a QB early. But now that it appears so many will go early, I am guessing they may choose to wait until next year instead, which is supposed to be another strong class of quarterbacks, with the idea they will be competing with fewer teams for those QBs.

Just a hunch on my part. It really depends on how the draft unfolds and who is still available. They have 1.24, 2.55, 3.87, 4.128 and 4.140.

Denver is another team that I forgot to mention last night. They are in a similar situation as the Patriots: the Broncos want one of the top-five quarterbacks, but if they don't get one then what do they do? Will they attempt to trade up for a QB? Will they opt for the best defensive player still available (such as Micah Parsons or Patrick Surtain, and maybe grab a second tier QB later to compete with Drew Lock and Brett Rypien? Or if they get shut out of the top-five QBs, maybe they trade down and pick up an extra draft pick; that extra pick would make taking a chance on a 2nd tier QB more justifiable.

I think New Orleans and Tampa could draft a qb at the end of round one.

I think New Orleans and Tampa could draft a qb at the end of round one.
New Orleans, sure. Brees just retired. But Tampa? Nope. No way a 1st for a backup QB. They are in WIN NOW mode. The Championship Window for Brady is probably open another 2 years. They gotta maximize that now.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back