PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Team Needs going into next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
they make the superbowl and because of 12 men on the field they're suddenly a trainwreck??

Maybe they draft or sign a guy who doesn't make that mistake next time around....

WR is a big need:

WR URFA's:

djack
vjack
colston
welker

Ill take any 2 from that list. Would love to get djack we needs speed badly.

Considering how long it takes a WR to learn the playbook I would be surprised if Welker is gone.

The Pats have so many holes its not funny.

Holes as compared to whom? Every team in the nfl has holes. Does any other team have the goods to fill their's? 4 draft picks in the first 2 rounds is a good start. Not to mention we had a pretty young defense that will only improve with experience and players coming back from injury. Throw in otas and a real training camp and this team with the holes has a lot to look forward to.

You also have no idea who they are bringing in from free agency to help fill those holes. At this point I still think when we look at our opening day roster next season it will look pretty stout.

Keep the faith, this team isn't going away anytime soon. In my eyes they are still in rebuilding mode to get it to a championship caliber team. You could say we were this year but when it came down to it, sure we were missing a few pieces and still almost got it done.

Sometimes I just feel lucky we haven't had to endure a true rebuilding process where losses and no playoffs are part of the deal. This wasn't the Pats year evidently but the strides to get them to a championship level were clear as the season winded down. A few more pieces and they will be champions once again.

Giants have won two SBs largely because of the continued investments they make on their DL. Mostly with first round picks, they make sure they win the battle in the trenches. We won our SBs when we had those 3 first round picks dominating the LOS for us. If we trade both of our #1s for a premium DL or DE, I would be ecstatic. We need those types of guys.

DE and OLB: There's just not enough talent on the field. Ninko should be a role player, not someone we rely on.

CB and S: The secondary is a mess. Arrington played above his head this year. No guarantees he can keep that up. McCourty is not someone to count on. He took as dramatic a step back as a player could this year. He is a huge question mark. Chung? It’s still hard to tell what they have in this guy. Moore has made some plays but he’s also missed some too. He seems scrappy though. Dowling? Another huge question mark. They need at least one draft or FA CB and Safety, probably more.

WR: Branch should come back if it’s at the vet minimum. Welker will be franchised so we can stop wondering about that. Outside of that it’s a pile of nothing.

OL: Light could retire. Center may need to be revaluated as Koppen has probably played his last down in NE as a starter. Connolly is a FA but should be back. Waters may hang it up. Definitely need another G.

Giants have won two SBs largely because of the continued investments they make on their DL. Mostly with first round picks, they make sure they win the battle in the trenches. We won our SBs when we had those 3 first round picks dominating the LOS for us. If we trade both of our #1s for a premium DL or DE, I would be ecstatic. We need those types of guys.

We have yet to replace Warren and Seymour with adequate talent

Sorry but guys like Brace,Pryor,Deaderick and Love are decent players but not on the level of a Seymour or even Ty Warren.

1st round DL don't always guarantee success anyway...you better hope you hit on a winner.

DE and OLB: There's just not enough talent on the field. Ninko should be a role player, not someone we rely on.
This is right. He's a decent player but not someone this team should mainly be relying on to win superbowls.

This is right. He's a decent player but not someone this team should mainly be relying on to win superbowls.

If the Giants can win with Chase Blackburn starting on their defense, I'm pretty sure we're set with Ninkovich. The guy doesn't even register when we're talking about problem areas on the defense.

Here is an idea for 2012.....Randy Moss! :D

WR is a big need:

WR URFA's:

djack
vjack
colston
welker

Ill take any 2 from that list. Would love to get djack we needs speed badly.
It was a big need for years and the problem could have been solved with the draft. Torrey Smith in the second round.

But Belichick tried to be geniusboy and go with an injury-plagued Ras-I Dowling whom they placed on IR for the entire season in late October, when he could have played in the playoffs.

Major draft disaster. Belichick and co are fantastic in the first round. But after that the Ravens or Giants or Steelers they are not.

If the Giants can win with Chase Blackburn starting on their defense, I'm pretty sure we're set with Ninkovich. The guy doesn't even register when we're talking about problem areas on the defense.
If Ninkovich was starting at MLB/SLB in a 4-3 like Blackburn I guess it wouldn't be as bad. But him being a rush OLB/DE, if where comparing to the Giants defense, I'd want something closer to a Tuck/JPP/Osi level of a player.

If Ninkovich was starting at MLB/SLB in a 4-3 like Blackburn I guess it wouldn't be as bad. But him being a rush OLB/DE, if where comparing to the Giants defense, I'd want something closer to a Tuck/JPP/Osi level of a player.

I don't really consider him a pure rush OLB/DE. He's more of a jack of all trades, master of none. But a solid player, nonetheless.

I agree that we need a pass rushing DE/OLB in a bad way. Assuming we return to the 3-4 next season, we don't even have a starting OLB opposite Ninkovich, so that's where the investment should be targeted.

Gone: Shaun Ellis, Gerard Warren, Kevin Faulk, Dan Koppen

Possibly Gone: Ocho Cinco, Deion Branch, Andre Carter, Mark Anderson (Latter 2 are Free Agents I believe)

Must Replace:
James Ihedigbo

Needs: DLine depth. Deep Threat WR. Secondary help.

Most of the players you listed are free agents. Only OchoCinco and Ihedigbo are not.

Outside of Moss and Welker hits, BB does not know how to develop a WR or judge the talent/fit..... There's plenty of data there now since last time we actually developed a WR was back in 2002 or so with Givens, Branch. Name me 1 other WR he was able to scout well or develop in this system ?

Does the name Doug Gabriel ring a bell ? How's that for starters....

Jabar Gaffney says HI.

Defensively, it's a broken record, we need a really good OLB. I can see adding a safety, but this talk adding a S and a CB, no. (check sig)

Offensively, A big physical WR.

Get rid of Branch, Ocho, Faulk, Warren, Elis, and Anderson. Then draft, draft, draft!

Only Ocho is still under contract.

Also, why are you against brining Anderson back? He actually played very well during his time here.

The Franchise number isn't crazy high. I expect them to Franchise Welker to keep him for next year but with his age I don't expect a 4 year extension.

They aren't going to franchise Welker. He's going to sign a 3 year extension worth between 18-24 million. That's my SWAG.

I like it. i think the WRs will be in a lot of flux next year with Branch, Ocho, and Underwood gone. Hopefully Welker is resigned.

Resign:
DE Mark Anderson/DE Andre Carter (might only be able to get one of these guys in which case I'd take the younger Anderson)
OL Dan Connolly
RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
LB Gary Guyton
S James Ihedigbo
C Dan Koppen
WR/S Matthew Slater
WR Wes Welker
LB Tracy White

RFA:
QB Brian Hoyer
DL Kyle Love

Not to resign:
WR Deion Branch
DE Shaun Ellis
RB Kevin Faulk
DB Nate Jones
CB Antwaun Molden
LB Niko Koutouvides
S Bret Lockett
DL Gerard Warren

Draft needs:
WR (even if Lloyd is signed)
CB
S

I don't see OL a significant need at the moment.

Why would you re-sign Guyton? The guy has fallen so far down the depth chart that Tracy White is seeing more time than he is. Guyton is gone.

I'm not sure the Pats will re-sign Koppen unless it's for the minimum. I think that them keeping McDonald on the active roster the rest of the season after both Wendell and Connolly were healthy says ALOT. I also wouldn't be surprised if Connolly wasn't retained.

Yet over the past 7 first round picks they've taken:
4 DBs
2 DL
1 WR

What's more important here is that of those 7 picks all of them are still on the team and almost all are starters. For comparison the Patriots have 5 of the last 7 first round picks still on the team. They no longer have Maroney (2006) and Meriweather (2007). It goes to show you that a couple of bad drafts can set you back (thanks Pioli :rolleyes:) from reaching that elite level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots