PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Team Needs going into next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've just identified four critical areas they have big needs in and glossed over another (OL) making a huge assumption that Waters and Light are back next year, which as of Feb. 6 are huge assumptions.

But yeah, they have no holes. Clearly you are too stupid to understand the difference between someone saying "the team has so many holes it's not funny", "the team has a few holes" and the team has no holes.

Also Tarpinian is barely a JAG. Get real Fan Boy.

WTF are you talking about?? Light and Waters are both under contract. And even if Light wasn't back, Solder would step in for him. Waters will be back and if he wasn't, Cannon would step in for him. Then you are talking about needing back-ups. But, as it stands right now, both are back. Why you make the asinine assumption that it's a "huge if" is beyond comprehension.

As for Tarpinian, he's very good on special teams and was a coverage LB in college. Since you missed it, BB made it a point to keep him around and not get rid of him until injuries forced them to put him on the IR.

You really should keep your mouth shut unless you know wtf you are actually talking about. You were spewing this sort of stupidity last night as well.

Instead of acting like a troll, you do well to go and learn more about what's going on it the league. Then you'd know that more than 30% of the league will be free agents and that ALL teams are in basically the same boat.

Last edited:
Upshaw is only 6'1 1/2 inches. He also has short arms (31 1/2") and small hands (8 5/8"). I just don't see him fitting the mold that BB looks for (6'3-6'4, 32+ in arms, and large hands).
Whitney Mercilus would be a better fit based upon the aforementioned criteria.

2012_DE NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats take a FS in the 2nd round. George Iloka, Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson. (Gilmore and Johnson would be conversions from CB).
I would prefer if the New England Patriots trade down with the second round draft pick from Oakland and acquire a third and fourth round draft pick. There still should be plenty of options at the free safety position in the top half of the third round.

Marshall would be a good consolation prize if the Pats couldn't get Brandon Carr.
Brandon Carr will most likely demand a huge contract from whomever.

[/B]

WTF are you talking about?? Light and Waters are both under contract. And even if Light wasn't back, Solder would step in for him. Waters will be back and if he wasn't, Cannon would step in for him. Then you are talking about needing back-ups. But, as it stands right now, both are back. Why you make the asinine assumption that it's a "huge if" is beyond comprehension.

As for Tarpinian, he's very good on special teams and was a coverage LB in college. Since you missed it, BB made it a point to keep him around and not get rid of him until injuries forced them to put him on the IR.

You really should keep your mouth shut unless you know wtf you are actually talking about. You were spewing this sort of stupidity last night as well.

Instead of acting like a troll, you do well to go and learn more about what's going on it the league. Then you'd know that more than 30% of the league will be free agents and that ALL teams are in basically the same boat.

So by law Waters and Light can't retire? Are the Foxboro police going to stop them from retiring? Contracts mean nothing. Ask Peyton Manning. He's under contract, too. Surely you can't be that naive to suggest their contracts will keep them from retiring. Waters has ALREADY said he's thinking about it. Assuming both return is child like which I suppose in your case is fitting.

In closing, you should shut your mouth permanently as you are nothing more than an over emotional Fan Boy who refuses to acknowledge any reality that doesn't fit within your permanently idealized view of the organization.

You are a clown. An errand boy sent by grocery clerks to amuse me.

Last edited:
Whitney Mercilus would be a better fit based upon the aforementioned criteria.

2012_DE NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I would prefer if the New England Patriots trade down with the second round draft pick from Oakland and acquire a third and fourth round draft pick. There still should be plenty of options at the free safety position in the top half of the third round.

Brandon Carr will most likely demand a huge contract from whomever.

Fair enough. I happen to disagree with you regarding the talent in the 3rd/4th round for a FS. The talent in the draft is extremely weak this year and even the top talent doesn't seem to fit the Pats profile. That's why I mentioned the potential conversions.

Carr might or might not demand a huge contract. He's not the top corner on the market, though he's close.

I'm not sure how you'd possibly know this, but then again, what echelon are you expecting your #4 ILB to fall into?

I think it's fair to worry about the entire LB situation when White is getting the snaps he got last night. Spikes is ideally a 3-4 ILB along with Mayo. That leaves a question for the #3ILB, and it leaves at least 2 questions at OLB.

I think it's fair to worry about the entire LB situation when White is getting the snaps he got last night. Spikes is ideally a 3-4 ILB along with Mayo. That leaves a question for the #3ILB, and it leaves at least 2 questions at OLB.

I thought Bedard said White was getting snaps at OLB?

I agree that Mayo and Spikes are your primary two at ILB, with Fletcher likely the backup. Then Tarpinian as the #4, who AFAIC is a complete enigma.

Much to your shock I'm sure I agree that OLB, outside of Ninkovich, is a huge hole.

So by law they can't retire? What, are the Foxboro police going to stop them from retiring? Contracts mean nothing. Ask Peyton Manning. He's under contract, too. Surely you can't be that naive to suggest they may not retire. Waters has ALREADY said he's thinking about it. Assuming both return is child like and naive.

*ROFLMAO* You love just making sh!t up. No where did I say they couldn't retire. It's clearly beyond you to understand that the thread was talking about the team roster AT THIS MOMENT. And, AT THIS MOMENT, Waters is under contract. Might he retire. Sure. But he might not as well. And I already addressed that by pointing out about Cannon. Clearly you have issues with understanding.

In closing, you should shut your mouth permanently as you are nothing more than an over emotional Fan Boy who refuses to acknowledge any reality that doesn't fit within your permanently idealized view of the organization.

You are a clown. An errand boy sent by grocery clerks to amuse me.

An over-emotional Fan Boy who refuses to acknowledge any reality that doesn't fit within your permanently idealized view of the organization? Wow. I didn't realize the ***clown of the message board could use so many big words.

As usual, you don't know wtf you are talking about. Unlike you and many others on here, I actually look at MANY options and many potentials when it comes to what the Pats may or may not do. What things may or may not happen. And, unlike you, when I'm wrong, I actually admit to it. That's hardly the actions of an over-emotional fan boy who refuses to acknowledge any reality that doesn't fit my permanently idealized view of the organization.

As me supposedly being an errand boy, well, the jester always views others as the fool. That is typical. Doesn't make it reality.

Do yourself and everyone a favor. Go learn the difference between "so many holes it's not funny" and "a few holes". Then maybe you'll be someone rational people could have a discussion with.

Last edited:
I thought Bedard said White was getting snaps at OLB?

I agree that Mayo and Spikes are your primary two at ILB, with Fletcher likely the backup. Then Tarpinian as the #4, who AFAIC is a complete enigma.

I don't really get the Tarp stuff, either, because its not as if he really came into play. As for White, my point was that if he's seeing any time at any LB spot, it shows a real problem throughout the group, because there's no way the corps should be so weak that he's getting snaps. It sets up the ILBs for failure, as well as being a terribly weak link on the outside.

Much to your shock I'm sure I agree that OLB, outside of Ninkovich, is a huge hole.

Nah.... you're the kind of homer this place needs more of. If there's a possible issue, you try to reason it out. If you see something, you're willing to give it another look, even if it's done somewhat grudgingly. I wish your approach would rub off on some of the insane homers.

I can understand the question about RG, but why is it a huge assumption that the Patriots best OT will return when he's got a contract?

As for holes, they seem pretty obvious to me.

DE/OLB
WR
DB

Then again, they seemed obvious last year, too.
Holes .........

3-4 Defensive End (Fletcher Cox)
3-4 Outside Linebacker (Whitney Mercilus or Andre Branch)
Cornerback
Free Safeties (2) (Richard Marshall and a 2012 NFL Draft Pick)
Wide Receivers (2) (Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandon Lloyd, and ?????)
Center (Dan Connolly and a 2012 NFL Draft Pick)

You must be mistaking Moore for Molden. Molden got beat all night long. Moore, not so much. Arrington got beat on a couple of plays to Cruz. McCourty got beat as well. Moore got beat once on the perfect catch by Manningham on the sidelines.

I think you need to go back and re-watch the game, Deus.
If it stands for anything I thought it was Moulden who the Giants were targeting DBruinz. Moore was fine from my observations.

I don't really get the Tarp stuff, either, because its not as if he really came into play. As for White, my point was that if he's seeing any time at any LB spot, it shows a real problem throughout the group, because there's no way the corps should be so weak that he's getting snaps. It sets up the ILBs for failure, as well as being a terribly weak link on the outside.

Agreed.

Nah.... you're the kind of homer this place needs more of. If there's a possible issue, you try to reason it out. If you see something, you're willing to give it another look, even if it's done somewhat grudgingly. I wish your approach would rub off on some of the insane homers.

I'm flattered! Though, in the interest of full disclosure, I was being facetious there. I assume you'd think I was insane if I said I thought the OLB situation was copacetic.

One area I'm not sure I agree with you on is Sterling Moore. I was surprised to see you were so down on him.

Now, don't get me wrong, it would have been shocking to me had he not had his ups and downs going against the Giants' WR corps. But I saw some things from him that led me to believe he has some promise moving forward. I'm not sure exactly what your position is on the guy, but what I did read didn't strike me as being particularly sanguine.

Last edited:
Holes .........

3-4 Defensive End (Fletcher Cox)
3-4 Outside Linebacker (Whitney Mercilus or Andre Branch)
Cornerback
Free Safeties (2) (Richard Marshall and a 2012 NFL Draft Pick)
Wide Receivers (2) (Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Brandon Lloyd, and ?????)
Center (Dan Connolly and a 2012 NFL Draft Pick)

I don't consider center a hole unless/until Koppen/Connolly aren't brought back. When it comes to O-line, I think they've got to find out what Waters is going to do, decide if they think Cannon can be a RG in the future, and draft a center either this year or next (depending upon whom they bring back).

Also, they've got to get on Mankins to stop reaching for players on stunts, and to get him to move his damned feet. He's a great player, but this is something he does too often.

Agreed.

I'm flattered! Though, in the interest of full disclosure, I was being facetious there. I assume you'd think I was insane if I said I thought the OLB situation was copacetic.

One area I'm not sure I agree with you on is Sterling Moore. I was surprised to see you were so down on him.

Now, don't get me wrong, it would have been shocking to me had he not had his ups and downs going against the Giants' WR corps. But I saw some things from him that led me to believe he has some promise moving forward. I'm not sure exactly what your position is on the guy, but what I did read didn't strike me as being particularly sanguine.

I don't like corners who can't cover. This year, that was McCourty, Molden, Moore, and pretty much everyone else they put out there. Arrington was really the only exception, in that he continued to show that he's a worthy CB3 or CB4 who can cover some lesser WRs, but it's unacceptable that he was this team's CB1.

BTW, with regard to last night specifically (and if memory serves), Moore got smoked twice on deep routes, not just the once, and he got away with a PI that could easily have been called, and that's just the three most obvious plays.

Last edited:
Dowling
Arrington
McCourty
Draftee/FA

There's 4 right there.

You assume that McCourty isn't moved to FS. I don't want a rookie FS next season and I don't want M. Griffen as a FA (not much FA-wise except at SS). Also, Moore may play FS himself. Regardless of what BB decides positionally, Moore has shown huge progress in a short period of time.

Personally, I think we move McCourty and not draft a FS (high).

Last edited:
Name me 1 other WR he was able to scout well or develop in this system ?

Jabar Gaffney, Tim Dwight and Dante Stallworth.

Also, get rid of Guyton, bring back Welker, Anderson, Law Firm, Waters, get Hernandez to work on not dropping so many passed in the offseason, draft Hightower and another first day safety. And please....no more drafting of future QBs because they represent the best value.

Last edited:
Defense:

RDE - Deaderick, Pryor
NT - Wilfork, Love, Brace
LDE - 2012 First Round Draft Pick, Unrestricted Free Agent

ILB - Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Tarpinian?, White?
OLB - 2012 First Round Draft Pick, Ninkovich, Cunningham?, Carter?

CB - Arrington, McCourty, Dowling, Moore, 2012 Draft Pick or Unrestricted Free Agent
S - Chung, 2012 Draft Pick and Unrestricted Free Agents

Last edited:
*ROFLMAO* You love just making sh!t up. No where did I say they couldn't retire. It's clearly beyond you to understand that the thread was talking about the team roster AT THIS MOMENT. And, AT THIS MOMENT, Waters is under contract. Might he retire. Sure. But he might not as well. And I already addressed that by pointing out about Cannon. Clearly you have issues with understanding.

An over-emotional Fan Boy who refuses to acknowledge any reality that doesn't fit within your permanently idealized view of the organization? Wow. I didn't realize the ***clown of the message board could use so many big words.

As usual, you don't know wtf you are talking about. Unlike you and many others on here, I actually look at MANY options and many potentials when it comes to what the Pats may or may not do. What things may or may not happen. And, unlike you, when I'm wrong, I actually admit to it. That's hardly the actions of an over-emotional fan boy who refuses to acknowledge any reality that doesn't fit my permanently idealized view of the organization.

As me supposedly being an errand boy, well, the jester always views others as the fool. That is typical. Doesn't make it reality.

Do yourself and everyone a favor. Go learn the difference between "so many holes it's not funny" and "a few holes". Then maybe you'll be someone rational people could have a discussion with.

At this moment? Who cares. What matters is the future, unless you constantly live in the present. Light may not retire, or he may. Waters may also retire, yet may not. My point is they shouldn't be counted on until that sorts itself out. You seem to have penciled them both in for 16 starts next year which again is naive and Fan Boyish.

You are the one who said they didn't have any real holes, and then proceeded to list four or five. Are they holes, but they're not really holes? Are they worm holes in a parallel universe? Sign me up that could be fun. Since the other poster upset your delicate sensibilities what term do you use for areas that need work? If they're not holes, what exactly are they?

Now go home and get your shine box.

PS-You don't know half as much as you think you do. Also, personal insults, which are your trademark, are tools of the daft.

Last edited:
At this moment? Who cares. What matters is the future, unless you constantly live in the present. Light may not retire, or he may. Waters may also retire, yet may not. My point is they shouldn't be counted on until that sorts itself out. You seem to have penciled them both in for 16 starts next year which again is naive and Fan Boyish.

You are the one who said they didn't have any real holes, and then proceeded to list four or five. Are they holes, but they're not really holes? Are they worm holes in a parallel universe? Sign me up that could be fun. Since the other poster upset your delicate sensibilities what term do you use for areas that need work? If they're not holes, what exactly are they?

Now go home and get your shine box.

PS-You don't know half as much as you think you do. Also, personal insults, which are your trademark, are tools of the daft.

Nice! Join the club of hundreds of people on here who think DaBruinz is a know it all (and actually doesn't know much) and wish he would disappear. We're going to try and get our own private forum for all of us who can't stand him.

To be on topic: Through FA: a #1 WR and a couple vets in the secondary
Through the draft: 3-4 DE, 3-4 DT, 4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB depending on our system.
Guard/Center for depth + planning on not having Waters for very long
#3 WR to develop

Agreed.

Marques Colston, WR. 6'4" 28yr old. Proven veritical (and middle) threat. Free agent.

BrandonLloyd. 6'0" 30yr old. Vertical threat. Free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back