PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Eric Tomlinson released UPDATE: Not cut; OL Aaron Monteiro to PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because once you stash them on IR you can’t bring them back this year.

I’m curious, if the Pats cut Gordon from IR can they later re-sign him as a free agent? Or would he have to go unsigned by the rest of the league, then sit for some period of time? Or what? And how do any of the options play against the cap?

1) They can. They can bring 2 guys back. Harry is one, the second one is open. I don't think Izzo or Lacosse would be the second but who knows.

He will go through waiver is claimed we will save 950k. If not claimed whole salary will count against the cap.

Possibilities:

1) They did not liked his production on field. He will be ready in a week or 2, if they did they would just wait.
2) Something changed their minds about him in a matter of hours. Could be more than just his on field production
3) Could be just this new ''fact'' and we will not know for sure.

Any option IMO leave the chance that we bring him back slim to none.

I’m curious, if the Pats cut Gordon from IR can they later re-sign him as a free agent? Or would he have to go unsigned by the rest of the league, then sit for some period of time? Or what? And how do any of the options play against the cap?
I'd like to know that, too. What are the wickets that must be passed through to get Gordon back onto the Pats once he's been released?

I'd like to know that, too. What are the wickets that must be passed through to get Gordon back onto the Pats once he's been released?
He's done here BB has said before don't release a player if your not ok with him playing elsewhere

1. IR
2. Released after 10/27 w/ injury settlement
3. Clear waivers
4. Back on team

If not signed by any other team through waivers, then they would have to wait 3 weeks + time spend on IR before reaching the settlement to resign Gordon with the Pats.

In other words it won't happen. He will be claimed by some team if only for the the chance at a comp pick.

Hmmmmm well Eric Tomlinson get a Second chance to make a better first impression. They have the extra roster spot now at least for a week then they can can activate Harry.

See? I told y'all Tomlinson was great..

Because once you stash them on IR you can’t bring them back this year.

Once Gordon is waived off IR he can immediately be claimed in the waiver process. If no one claims him off waivers he becomes a UFA and can be immediately signed by anyone except NE. However, NE can sign him after at least 8 weeks from when they put him on IR.

1. IR
2. Released after 10/27 w/ injury settlement
3. Clear waivers
4. Back on team
You forgot:
3a. Eight weeks pass

Even if a player is waived, IR rules prevent the team that put the player on IR from signing him before 8 weeks go by.

If not signed by any other team through waivers, then they would have to wait 3 weeks + time spend on IR before reaching the settlement to resign Gordon with the Pats.

In other words it won't happen. He will be claimed by some team if only for the the chance at a comp pick.
Only 3? I was pretty sure I've read that it was 8. In other words, the team is barred from re-signing the player for the same length of time they would have been unable to return him to the active roster if he had stayed with the team. (Otherwise teams could use injury settlements to shortcut the "must be on IR for at least 8 weeks" rule.)

You forgot:
3a. Eight weeks pass

Even if a player is waived, IR rules prevent the team that put the player on IR from signing him before 8 weeks go by.
Good catch. I can't keep up w/ this stuff.

Only 3? I was pretty sure I've read that it was 8. In other words, the team is barred from re-signing the player for the same length of time they would have been unable to return him to the active roster if he had stayed with the team. (Otherwise teams could use injury settlements to shortcut the "must be on IR for at least 8 weeks" rule.)

Good catch. I can't keep up w/ this stuff.

That rule has changed from 6 to 3 weeks.

So, it's been a very weird 24+ hours. According to reports I've heard today, Tomlinson:

1. Not cut
  2. Working with the RBs

So, it's been a very weird 24+ hours. According to reports I've heard today, Tomlinson:

1. Not cut
  2. Working with the RBs

Tomlinson is still on the Patriots depth chart as the 4th TE behind LaCosse, Izzo and Watson.

I hope Tomlinson sticks around a bit. He totally whiffed on a couple of blocks in the first half vs. the Jets, but I thought he was decent in the second half. Considering the hectic nature of his first week, playing that many snaps could not have been easy.

Still, I 'd guess someone in the trio of Izzo, LaCosse, and Tomlinson has to go next week. For injury-proneness (this year anyway) I'd lean toward dumping LaCosse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft