PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Ben Watson retiring at the end of the season.

No offense to my fellow Pats fans, but I still haven't seen solid proof that the ball went through the end zone on the Bailey/Watson play.

Especially when taking the new rules & points of emphasis into consideration, I would take Watson & Daniel Graham in their primes over today's Gronk & the 2 stiffs we have now.
I hate to agree with this but yea.

No offense to my fellow Pats fans, but I still haven't seen solid proof that the ball went through the end zone on the Bailey/Watson play.
This is the closest replay to seeing the flight path of the ball near the pylon.....and it's still inconclusive. I tend to think the ball flew just in front of it.

:33 seconds...the ball is in his right hand at the 2yd line and Watson hits him.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, he got Gronked. I seem to remember some frustration with him in having "hands of stone" but obviously he is a good player who managed to stick around a long time.

He'd always try and catch with body...and often bounced off.
Freakish athlete.
Smart guy.
Dukie turned Bull Dog.
I'd take him back...

That Watson / Graham combo was pretty good overall.
Yes it was, though it also lasted for only 2 seasons (2005-06), and Watson's early-career struggles with ball-catching might've reduced the combo's overall productivity.

Offense!! Offense!!

(this is what I say to my children when they start of saying, "No offense Mom, but..." usually followed by some insult to me)

Graham was like a herd of wildebeest running with the ball. He would look for contact.

Yeah, he would ramble wildly and seek contact occasionally. Mostly he blocked, though. I would say, even with Watson's speed, the 2 of them morphed together weren't as good as a healthy Gronk.

One other interesting (to me) bit of trivia about Ben Watson: He played 15 years in the NFL, and never got cut. He signed five contracts (with the Pats, Browns, Saints, Ravens, & Saints again) and played every one of them out. Rare, especially for a guy who bounced around teams.

I forgot he was across the field and got Bailey. He ran the hypotenuse of the triangle. Ran like 120 yards and caught an elite fast CB in Bailey.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back