PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Ben Watson retiring at the end of the season.

No offense to my fellow Pats fans, but I still haven't seen solid proof that the ball went through the end zone on the Bailey/Watson play.

Especially when taking the new rules & points of emphasis into consideration, I would take Watson & Daniel Graham in their primes over today's Gronk & the 2 stiffs we have now.
I hate to agree with this but yea.

No offense to my fellow Pats fans, but I still haven't seen solid proof that the ball went through the end zone on the Bailey/Watson play.
This is the closest replay to seeing the flight path of the ball near the pylon.....and it's still inconclusive. I tend to think the ball flew just in front of it.

:33 seconds...the ball is in his right hand at the 2yd line and Watson hits him.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, he got Gronked. I seem to remember some frustration with him in having "hands of stone" but obviously he is a good player who managed to stick around a long time.

He'd always try and catch with body...and often bounced off.
Freakish athlete.
Smart guy.
Dukie turned Bull Dog.
I'd take him back...

That Watson / Graham combo was pretty good overall.
Yes it was, though it also lasted for only 2 seasons (2005-06), and Watson's early-career struggles with ball-catching might've reduced the combo's overall productivity.

Offense!! Offense!!

(this is what I say to my children when they start of saying, "No offense Mom, but..." usually followed by some insult to me)

Graham was like a herd of wildebeest running with the ball. He would look for contact.

Yeah, he would ramble wildly and seek contact occasionally. Mostly he blocked, though. I would say, even with Watson's speed, the 2 of them morphed together weren't as good as a healthy Gronk.

One other interesting (to me) bit of trivia about Ben Watson: He played 15 years in the NFL, and never got cut. He signed five contracts (with the Pats, Browns, Saints, Ravens, & Saints again) and played every one of them out. Rare, especially for a guy who bounced around teams.

I forgot he was across the field and got Bailey. He ran the hypotenuse of the triangle. Ran like 120 yards and caught an elite fast CB in Bailey.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back