PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TB12 Tells Kraft he's "willing to play another 6-7 years"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily. Not if they think Brady going down is the only thing that would keep them from contending for another SB.
I just don't see that risk/reward equation. If JG was on another team, would anyone suggest trading a first round pick so he could be insurance for a year?

Exactly like the claims you guys make about Brady falling off a cliff.

"You guys" seem to consist of one idiot named Max Kellerman and a few people who make fun of Max Kellerman's idiotic tweet "Cliff" that he made after TB12 threw the pick-6 in SB LI.

Nobody has seen any evidence of a cliff. People do fear it, since it has happened to others.

I'd love it if he plays great through age 46. That would be an incredible accomplishment. It does seem a tad optimistic, but based upon the evidence of his own performance, I'd certainly argue that we do not yet see evidence for the end being near and so 2-4 years seems less-than-crazy

The hit Chancellor put on him would have ended Garrapolos season and Brady didn't miss a snap.
Mr. I Only Have One Datapoint But I Worship It Like A Girlfriend is at it again, I see. It really is amazing how clueless, blind, and ignorant you are when you take that event and imbue it with all sorts of completely unwarranted certainty yet claim that other people who draw conclusions and speculation on far more data than anything you have are crazy for doing so.

But that means Jimmy G would become the 2nd QB to win 5 rings while Brady retires with 10.

At this point Garoppolo could win 5 rings without ever starting fulltime for the Patriots... Just sit behind the GOAT and let him win another 2, then win one with the next team he plays for.

Mr. I Only Have One Datapoint But I Worship It Like A Girlfriend is at it again, I see. It really is amazing how clueless, blind, and ignorant you are when you take that event and imbue it with all sorts of completely unwarranted certainty yet claim that other people who draw conclusions and speculation on far more data than anything you have are crazy for doing so.

Lmao. You lov e to act like you are Mr. Science and logic but the fact of the matter is that you don't have one f.cking shred of evidence that Brady is declining, so instead you substitute the decline of players who never made the effort to prepare themselves to actually maintain a high level of play at this point of their careers. You have been asked over and over and over to provide anything of substance to support your position and you have offered nothing other than your incredibly myopic opinion. Let people know when you have something of substance to back your position up with.

Adios @sshole, I'm done with you, Have fun spooning with your idiot buddy Simpleton beneath your topless posters of Jimmy Garrapolo.

His improving over the last three years is due as much to the team making improvements around him as anything else. He hasn't declined appreciably. But he wasn't over 40 then either. I do think he's lost some arm strength. He's putting much more of his body into his throws than he used to. And FWIW, he agrees with me on that. He's said he has to be even more careful of his mechanics and involve more of his body in his throwing motion.

It is what it is and we'll see. I love TB and would love if he somehow managed to magically keep himself at his pre-40 condition. But I don't believe in magic. Nor do I believe in the efficacy of avacados and concussion juice. I'd like to see TB at 50 not crippled or with cte or alzheimers.

I don't believe Brady's diet is the reason for his longevity, I believe and have said many times that the change away from a weight based training regimen to a pliability based training regimen is the primary reason his body is able to deal with the rigors of playing QB, as well as his arm not breaking down. Brady's focus on yoga and stretching his muscles, as well as core and pliability training instead of shortening and tightening his muscles through weight based training is the difference, and it shows in his ability to absorb hits that would put others out, as well as his overall athletic improvements, including his balance and ability to throw on the run, which has improved markedly since making those changes. I also believe that since his game is based almost entirely upon his football knowledge and accuracy it is not as susceptible to deterioration due to age. All of this is backed up by his durability and his consistency of play, and the statistics are all there to back this up. People can continue to act like Brady will deteriorate because Favre and Manning etc.. did at this point but none of them ever took the approach nor made the effort Brady has made . People can continue to bet against Brady all they want but if half the people in this forum had gotten their way in early 2014, when they made the exact same arguments, the Patriots would have 3 Lombardi's instead of 5.

Vast amounts of scientific data demonstrate without question that a quarterback chosen after the fourth round of the NFL Draft has virtually no chance of turning into a viable player. So all of you Brady butt boys can pretend all you want that he is a great player but our numerous data points and beautiful bell curves prove without question that simply isn't possible.

Now Jamarcus Russell, there's a great quarterback. He can throw a ball 70 yards on his knees.

Lmao. You lov e to act like you are Mr. Science and logic but the fact of the matter is that you don't have one f.cking shred of evidence that Brady is declining, so instead you substitute the decline of players who never made the effort to prepare themselves to actually maintain a high level of play at this point of their careers. You have been asked over and over and over to provide anything of substance to support your position and you have offered nothing other than your incredibly myopic opinion. Let people know when you have something of substance to back your position up with.

Adios @sshole, I'm done with you, Have fun spooning with your idiot buddy Simpleton beneath your topless posters of Jimmy Garrapolo.

PM me where I can get those posters. Asking for my wife.

His improving over the last three years is due as much to the team making improvements around him as anything else. He hasn't declined appreciably. But he wasn't over 40 then either. I do think he's lost some arm strength. He's putting much more of his body into his throws than he used to. And FWIW, he agrees with me on that. He's said he has to be even more careful of his mechanics and involve more of his body in his throwing motion.

It is what it is and we'll see. I love TB and would love if he somehow managed to magically keep himself at his pre-40 condition. But I don't believe in magic. Nor do I believe in the efficacy of avacados and concussion juice. I'd like to see TB at 50 not crippled or with cte or alzheimers.
And that's the thing -- when you talk about deterioration of a very cerebral player, the stats are the last things to go. Curt Schilling is a bonehead in terms of life skills but he was one of the smartest pitchers I ever watched, and he was able to exploit his remaining skillset to pitch at a very high level deep into his declining years, having to stop only when his body couldn't take the strain at all anymore. Nolan Ryan got even further simply by having so much sheer natural talent that it took years for it to all go away. Both of them managed to be effective despite severe decline, simply by knowing how to deal with the talent they had left. Brady will do the same. I think he's been doing it for years already.

Tom Brady is very smart about knowing his limits and finding ways to get things done. The first sign of deterioration is not going to be Brady not getting it done on the field -- it's going to be Brady making several minute adjustments to how he gets things done, to adjust for his aging body and take best possible advantage of his remaining abilities. I think we've been seeing that for at least the last 3 years, and Bill Belichick has been aiding and abetting that with roster adjustments that play to an accurate assessment of what Brady is at any given time. BB has just done a sterling job of building the roster around Brady's current strengths and not getting stuck on the guy Brady used to be -- so that he's not getting exposed and his physical decline (everyone starts declining physically starting between the late 20's and mid 30's) is being intelligently managed both by the player and by the coach.

(as a side note, I think TB12 got back on Superbowl form after several seasons of what could best be called wilderness years in part because the roster improved, but in part because he finally recognized he was in decline, reassessed his stock, and made adjustments to his playing style that returned him to an elite level -- it can take some integrity and personal courage to admit you've hit that stage of your career and it's to Brady's credit that he stuck the transition so well)

It's telling that BB has really worked hard to beef up the roster this year, I think we'll find BB making more and more aggressive moves to make the most of Brady's remaining seasons and keep him playing at a high level as long humanly possible.

That does not mean that he isn't declining. At that age everyone is declining. It just means his decline is being managed intelligently so that he is not asked for more than he is capable of at any given time.

There will come a point though when continued adjustments will meet with diminishing returns. There will come a point where the decline can no longer be managed intelligently. I think we're actually fairly close to hitting that point, which is why BB brought in a premium wideout, something he almost never does, in this offseason. That's the last throw to keep Brady at an elite level. Cooks should buy Brady at least an additional year or 2. Maybe you can get one more jolt if BB invests in an elite running back to take the strain of the offense off Brady's arm. Maybe after that you can be the team we were in 2001-03, with Brady as a field general managing the offense and making short, intelligent throws while other facets of the team carried a large portion of the load. But eventually this ride ends, and there's NWIH it takes 7 years.

Last edited:
I missed that when Brady stated he'd play at an MVP level for 6 or 7 more....

Link?
I went searching but couldn't find it. Thought I saw in his quote to Kraft that he could play at his current level 6-7 Years. The MVP part was me evaluating his current level.

A
(as a side note, I think TB12 got back on Superbowl form after several seasons of what could best be called wilderness years in part because the roster improved, but in part because he finally recognized he was in decline, reassessed his stock, and made adjustments to his playing style that returned him to an elite level -- it can take some integrity and personal courage to admit you've hit that stage of your career and it's to Brady's credit that he stuck the transition so well)

What specifically was in decline?
What changes did he make to address the specific issues in decline?
Roster improvement was the key, but you couldn't let it go.

His improving over the last three years is due as much to the team making improvements around him as anything else.

Actually, that is not the case.

The Patriots test each team member every year. I don't think we know exactly what they test, but I expect it's stuff very similar to what is done at the combine.

A few months back it was shared that Tom Brady has improved in each of these individual skills each of the past 3 years. That is, each measurement in each physical ability was better at age 39 than at age 38, better at age 38 than at age 37 and better at age 37 than age 36.

This is one reason why many believe that Tom Brady is not going to "fall off a cliff" in terms of performance. He is running faster, jumping higher, throwing stronger than he was 3 years ago. (For example, Brady run a 5.28 at the combine; it was shared that he's now under 5.00.) Tom Brady has also said that his arm used to hurt all the time during football season when he was 25 and that it basically doesn't hurt now.

Every single piece of factual evidence we have says he is playing at a high level and there is no deterioration of physical skills. The ONLY argument people have (and it's not a bad argument, just flawed IMO) that says Tom Brady will go significantly downhill soon is a number.

I don't believe Brady's diet is the reason for his longevity, I believe and have said many times that the change away from a weight based training regimen to a pliability based training regimen is the primary reason his body is able to deal with the rigors of playing QB, as well as his arm not breaking down. Brady's focus on yoga and stretching his muscles, as well as core and pliability training instead of shortening and tightening his muscles through weight based training is the difference, and it shows in his ability to absorb hits that would put others out, as well as his overall athletic improvements, including his balance and ability to throw on the run, which has improved markedly since making those changes. I also believe that since his game is based almost entirely upon his football knowledge and accuracy it is not as susceptible to deterioration due to age. All of this is backed up by his durability and his consistency of play, and the statistics are all there to back this up. People can continue to act like Brady will deteriorate because Favre and Manning etc.. did at this point but none of them ever took the approach nor made the effort Brady has made . People can continue to bet against Brady all they want but if half the people in this forum had gotten their way in early 2014, when they made the exact same arguments, the Patriots would have 3 Lombardi's instead of 5.

If he succeeds and plays at the same level injury free for several more years, it should completely revolutionize the way that athletes, particularly quarterbacks, train.

....Heck, I don't know why every quarterback in the NFL, especially those over 30, aren't already camped out on Brady's doorstop begging him for tips on how to extend their career and decrease their injuries. You have to judge a tree by its fruits, and so far the fruits of Brady's training regimen have been absolutely amazing.

If he succeeds and plays at the same level injury free for several more years, it should completely revolutionize the way that athletes, particularly quarterbacks, train.

....Heck, I don't know why every quarterback in the NFL, especially those over 30, aren't already camped out on Brady's doorstop begging him for tips on how to extend their career and decrease their injuries. You have to judge a tree by its fruits, and so far the fruits of Brady's training regimen have been absolutely amazing.

Listen to the king interview, that's EXACTLY what Brady wants to do and his passion for it comes out in waves. Hearing him talk he goes into that high pitched excited voice going on about how in tens years everybody will be training like this. There is no better advertising for his lifestyle then him continuing to play at a high level

probably because Brady's regimen is seriously ovrehyped on this forum right now.

This is not even the first time a Boston based athlete turned to flexibility training to extend his career, or has everyone just forgotten about Tim Thomas and his yoga

Last edited:

My understanding is that Rodgers and Bree's are doing much of core/pliability/ and yoga training but I don't know if they are following the diet program. I think Brady's approach is going to become the norm for quarterbacks going forward, not necessarily the diet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes