PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talking TEs - 2014 Draft

Evidence of Blake Annen's speed at 1:25 in the below video

Blake Annen (TE Cincinnati) vs Northwestern State 2013 - YouTube

And I'm again impressed by his blocking. I like his potential.

Well he made one big play in the passing game. But he wasn't really utilized a lot as an actual receiving option. Priority UDFA or potential 7th round pick? Potential yes, but ability to catch the ball takes a lot of projection on our part.

I'm beginning to come around to ASJ at #29 if need be.
The guy has size, athleticism, and is a mismatch nightmare that most CBs/Safeties cannot handle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWMQrnlGDkU

I really want us to take a chance on Colt Lyerla in the 6th

And I don't want to hear him compared to Hernandez unless it's about on the football field. Off-field, his issue couldn't be any more unrelated

I really want us to take a chance on Colt Lyerla in the 6th

And I don't want to hear him compared to Hernandez unless it's about on the football field. Off-field, his issue couldn't be any more unrelated

One of the problems I have with Lyerla is whether or not he can handle the play book. I don't think he's smart enough to be able to do that. That's why I don't see him being on the Pats radar. The off-field issues also raise a huge red flag. And Lyerla's off-field issues run the gambit from running his mouth off to supposedly being involved with drugs. The drugs flag is one that is very similar to what Hernandez had, though Lyerla flag is for Cocaine while Hernandez was for marijuana.

One of the problems I have with Lyerla is whether or not he can handle the play book. I don't think he's smart enough to be able to do that. That's why I don't see him being on the Pats radar. The off-field issues also raise a huge red flag. And Lyerla's off-field issues run the gambit from running his mouth off to supposedly being involved with drugs. The drugs flag is one that is very similar to what Hernandez had, though Lyerla flag is for Cocaine while Hernandez was for marijuana.

Correct...But it's almost like people think Lyerla might turn out to be a serial killer like Hernandez if we draft him.

I don't think Hernandez should affect our tendency of drafting/signing/trading for players with any off-field issues - of course, unless they are gun/gang related then extra caution should be taken.

Correct...But it's almost like people think Lyerla might turn out to be a serial killer like Hernandez if we draft him.

You don't have to be a serial killer to be a major character problem. The key to me is that Lyerla has question marks both on off-field character and football character. This is a guy who quit his team without explanation and who played sloppy, not working on his technique as either a route runner or blocker. He strikes me as a terrific natural athlete and an all-around hot mess. Personally, I don't want him.

Two things, first there was something the other day saying Lyerla is off the Patriots' board. Obviously not confirmed but I have a feeling we wouldn't sign him if he were a UDFA. Second, the guy is a mental mess :

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/10/colt-lyerla-a-troubled-talent/

If you think he's fixed his head in the past 6 months, great. Chances are he hasn't.

“The parents of the kids that supposedly died in the sandy hook situation are liars,” Lyerla tweeted and later deleted, according to Graham Watson of Yahoo! Sports.

Can we please move on from this piece of dirt?

Trey Burton could very well be the next AH/Joker TE. I wanted Jordan Reed badly last year.

Ok nevermind. Just saw that story now.

I don't know if it will be a full round different, but I do think that the price to move up will be a bit less than "book value". That's one of the reasons I think it may be possible to trade up for Aaron Donald, if the Pats are so inclined. Their moves to date on defense have been aggressive, and a disruptive interior penetrator combined with that secondary would be epic.

I still fail to understand why everyone is so Ga Ga over a too short, too light DT. He will be run over in the run game. The 6th round cut and pickup, Chris Jones out weighs him by 30 #s, and 2 " in height. For every sack Donald got in college last season, Chris got in the tougher NFL, last season.

IMHO, the Defensive linemen available suck in this draft. They are all either injured, un- motivated, or too tiny. Draft some of them NEXT year.

This is the year to FINISH rebuilding the Offense, particularly the O-line. You can and must protect Brady, and you can also add depth at TE & WR. Third in scoring was fine but Brady getting sacked 40 times was terrible.

Just how much more do you want to invest, to add to the Defense? You have three potential Probowlers on the DL, three more potential ones at LB, and three in the secondary. The D 3rd down conversion rate improved, and the sacks jumped. The D produced a Top Ten in Points Allowed. All they really need is health and experience playing together, to really excel.

I think THE question that some of you draft followers need to ask yourself is this -- Are you ok with ASJ as the #29 overall pick for the Patriots?

Here is an article making an argument for ASJ as a guy who jumps out on film:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/...austin-seferian-jenkins-body-control-scouting

And what do you know, here are our division rivals the Bills scouting ASJ:
http://fansided.com/2014/04/11/2014-nfl-draft-rumors-austin-seferian-jenkins-visits-bills/#!EzpNT

Here are Buffalo's draft picks: In particular #9 and #41
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/3/25/5545316/nfl-draft-order-2014-buffalo-bills-picks-list

Obviously I don't think Buffalo will take ASJ at #9, as they could instead have Ebron. But if they don't take a TE with their #9 pick, then I see #41 as the danger zone/cut off point. They could easily take ASJ with #41.

If the Pats trade down past #41 they could easily have ASJ scooped up before they can pick. With the reports of Gronk to 'take his time' before returning as TE, we have the unappetizing prospect of Starting Hoomanawanui for an unknown number of games before Gronk can make his return to the field. And even then, as we saw last year, continued health is not guaranteed.

If I'm BB, and I can't get an attractive trade down offer that still allows me to take ASJ in the second... Might it make the most sense to just take ASJ at #29?

Interview with ASJ, gives you a feel for where he is at as a person and player:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/...-austin-seferian-jenkins-interview-Washington

A video look at ASJ:

Are there any players that you model yourself after?

I'd say Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski. A little bit of Kellen Winslow, senior not junior.

LMAO.

If all the elite defenders are off the board I'm good with ASJ at 29 or maybe after a slight trade down into the 33-36 range.

I'd like to see the pats add Gator Hoskins in day 3......he's already a proven when it comes to productivity in the hernandez mold.

I'd prefer the Pats to add Fiedorowicz, personally. I think the guy has what it takes to fit right in for the blocking and he can be in there for the passing game as well, though he's not nearly as adept at it as Gronk. But the two of them would cause some major mis-matches.

Someone to keep an eye on is what the Pats do with Mark Harrison. If he comes back fully healthy, he could be a viable option at the H-back position that Hernandez ran.

With the Pats cap situation, I think it's unlikely that they look at a free agent like Pettigrew, just from a cost stand-point.

How'd he forget John Mackey, Russ Francis, Ozzie Newsome, Todd Christensen, and Tony Gonzalez?

A Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski-style tight end can really tear up defenses if you pair him with a Percy Harvin/Calvin Johnson-style wide receiver.

Well, it is a pretty funny quote. But usually the young players will model themselves after the most recent stars in the league such as Gronk and Graham. To his credit, ASJ wants to be nothing like 'Soldier Boy' Winslow Jr and instead wants to pattern his game after HOFer Winslow Sr. That shows that he has studied the history of the TE position a bit.

If ASJ could be anything close to Winslow Sr or Gronk, I would be absolutely delighted. I'm not counting on it, but I do see him as a serious mismatch for defenses. I have no idea how defenses would stop both Gronk and ASJ at the same time.

Are there any players that you model yourself after?

I'd say Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski. A little bit of Kellen Winslow, senior not junior.

LMAO.

If all the elite defenders are off the board I'm good with ASJ at 29 or maybe after a slight trade down into the 33-36 range.

Well, it is a pretty funny quote. But usually the young players will model themselves after the most recent stars in the league such as Gronk and Graham. To his credit, ASJ wants to be nothing like 'Soldier Boy' Winslow Jr and instead wants to pattern his game after HOFer Winslow Sr. That shows that he has studied the history of the TE position a bit.

If ASJ could be anything close to Winslow Sr or Gronk, I would be absolutely delighted. I'm not counting on it, but I do see him as a serious mismatch for defenses. I have no idea how defenses would stop both Gronk and ASJ at the same time.

I'm a huge ASJ fan, and in response to your earlier question, I'd be very comfortable taking him at 29.

I'm a huge ASJ fan, and in response to your earlier question, I'd be very comfortable taking him at 29.
Agree. The Pats need a TE no later than the 3rd round and ASJ is too talented to pass at 29.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back