PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talking TEs - 2014 Draft

One DUI arrest on it's own isn't too worrisome. As for Niklas' concussions, that'll be up to the teams doctors to assess - it's not something we're qualified to judge him on.
I agree that its not our decision. The only benefit is it won't help his draft status and may cause him to drop to the 4th or 5th round.

With Scott Chandler signing a new deal with the Bills, Pedigrew with the Jets, Graham tagged , it seems that we'll draft at least one TE indeed.

I hope BB gets 2.

Pettigrew re-signed with the Loins, not with the Jest AFAIK.

I have watched ASJ for his entire career. He is with out a doubt the best TE in this draft. He has been hampered by a QB that has no field vision and rarely looked to the middle of the field. He was never a big YAC guy based on his style of play. If you are looking for a comparison, he is a poor man's Tony Gonzalez. As far as injuries and his off the field transgression, take both with a grain of salt. ASJ made one mistake and owned up to it. He is a great person so nothing to worry about there. As far as the injuries go, it is a slight concern.

I don't know if he's the best in this draft. That honor, IMO, goes to Ebron. But he's by far the best TE that the Pats will actually be in a position to get.

Ill go outside the box a bit and look at a few who will go undrafted

1.Justin Perillo TE Maine rSr 6-3 250 great hand and a thumper as a blocker the man can play ball

2.Justin Jones TE East Carolina rSr 6-8 277 Big bad and fast good on kick returns this is a 1st or 2rd round pick if he was not ineligible last year for breaking school rules this maybe the best TE prospect in draft and he will not be drafted,but people will be stupid when they are that young and talented

At this point in order to get-

Ebron-trade up

ASJ-29 or a trade back. He is not making it to 62, his tape is too good.

Amaro-29 or a trade back. I don't think he is making it back either. Bad workout or not.

Everyone else can probably be had in the 2nd rd on.

Question: given a straight-up choice, would you take Amaro or Seferian-Jenkins?

It seems to me that this board leans overwhelmingly toward ASJ...even while accepting the common wisdom from outside mocks that Amaro is rated higher and will be drafted first. I'm thinking ASJ actually goes first come draft day.

It seems to me that this board leans overwhelmingly toward ASJ...even while accepting the common wisdom from outside mocks that Amaro is rated higher and will be drafted first. I'm thinking ASJ actually goes first come draft day.

ASJ and it's not even remotely close.

I would personally not want either at 29, and would gladly take either at 62. I suspect both will go somewhere in-between.

I think that Gronk + ASJ is an enticing combination, and Amaro's lack of maneuverability shown at the Combine raises questions as to how effective he will be as a "move TE". But I also think Amaro is a very savvy and effective player who can find the open spots in the defense. I like Matt Waldman's comparison of him to Jason Whitten. ASJ also has injury and off-field questions. So it's a bit of a wash for me. I prefer ASJ, but I could be swayed in the other direction fairly easily.

I'm on the bandwagon too. So I'm thinking it's time to discard all of the mocks that slot Amaro first and acknowledge that it's #29 or bust for ASJ. (Barring medical info we don't have, etc.)

I'm thinking his medical keeps him available in the 40's so i'm hoping they get him with a trade down but I'm not opposed to taking him at 29. Of the players that could realistically fall to 29 only Hageman would make me not trade down (Donald and Ebron are pipe dreams). If they took Hageman at 29 and used their 2nd and 3rd to trade up and get ASJ I'd be pretty stoked.

I'm on the bandwagon too. So I'm thinking it's time to discard all of the mocks that slot Amaro first and acknowledge that it's #29 or bust for ASJ. (Barring medical info we don't have, etc.)

:confused:

I'm fine slotting ASJ ahead of Amaro. But how does that translate into "it's 29 or bust for ASJ"?

I would NOT use #29 right now for ASJ. That could easily change between now and the draft, but for me there are too many questions to warrant that high a pick. Trade back to 40 and he's in the mix if he's on the board (though I would still take Easley), but not at 29. JMHO.

If Colt Lyerla addressed his Sandy Hook comments, would you draft him?

I ask this question because I sometimes like to be a convenience store psychiatrist, and having read Lyerla’s background I think that it is possible that he uses conspiracy theories to pretend bad things did not happen. I do not think anyone would want to believe that 22 young children would be gunned down and if you make yourself believe that it was in fact a conspiracy you could pretend it was not real.

:confused:

I'm fine slotting ASJ ahead of Amaro. But how does that translate into "it's 29 or bust for ASJ"?

I would NOT use #29 right now for ASJ. That could easily change between now and the draft, but for me there are too many questions to warrant that high a pick. Trade back to 40 and he's in the mix if he's on the board (though I would still take Easley), but not at 29. JMHO.

This is the year to trade back as a whole...

If Colt Lyerla addressed his Sandy Hook comments, would you draft him?

I ask this question because I sometimes like to be a convenience store psychiatrist, and having read Lyerla’s background I think that it is possible that he uses conspiracy theories to pretend bad things did not happen. I do not think anyone would want to believe that 22 young children would be gunned down and if you make yourself believe that it was in fact a conspiracy you could pretend it was not real.

e4872b5d9a59ea129c642fda613a5ea496810457e8172373b46fb2ab19f0c434.jpg

This is the year to trade back as a whole...

Which is what every team is thinking so I wonder if the price to move up especially in the first might be a round less than normal. For instance to get into the 13-16 range from 29 would normally be adding in 62. I wonder if you could get there instead with 93. You could then trade back from 62 to replace 93 and still pick up more picks potentially along the way. All it takes is one team like the Jags a few years ago willing to take under market value.

Which is what every team is thinking so I wonder if the price to move up especially in the first might be a round less than normal. For instance to get into the 13-16 range from 29 would normally be adding in 62. I wonder if you could get there instead with 93. You could then trade back from 62 to replace 93 and still pick up more picks potentially along the way. All it takes is one team like the Jags a few years ago willing to take under market value.

I don't know if it will be a full round different, but I do think that the price to move up will be a bit less than "book value". That's one of the reasons I think it may be possible to trade up for Aaron Donald, if the Pats are so inclined. Their moves to date on defense have been aggressive, and a disruptive interior penetrator combined with that secondary would be epic.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back