PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking Christian Barmore was a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would much rather have taken a WR here. assuming Bill were going to listen to his scouts on the best remaining available WRs. But we are way too soft up front. on D. So I get the theme of the draft. Ironically, not crazy about the WR pick in round 7. That feels like a throwaawy. Would have rather have seen a possible depth pick at a different position. Like Oline? Better chance to find a starting caliber player down there at a different position than WR. Best case scenario is this kid is practice squad fodder or special teamr. I still think we are too thin at WR and have no #1 It is what it is. We wont know how this draft panned out for a few years. But guys like Barrmore rarely work out. Maybe he grows up quickly. Who knows?

I worry only about two things with Barmore. His weight and conditioning (I bet he doesn’t pass the Pat’s test 1st time). Talent wise I have zero worries.

Would much rather have taken a WR here. assuming Bill were going to listen to his scouts on the best remaining available WRs. But we are way too soft up front. on D. So I get the theme of the draft. Ironically, not crazy about the WR pick in round 7. That feels like a throwaawy. Would have rather have seen a possible depth pick at a different position. Like Oline? Better chance to find a starting caliber player down there at a different position than WR. Best case scenario is this kid is practice squad fodder or special teamr. I still think we are too thin at WR and have no #1 It is what it is. We wont know how this draft panned out for a few years. But guys like Barrmore rarely work out. Maybe he grows up quickly. Who knows?
I wanted a WR as well, wanted Rondale Moore. Would be a great slot receiver with the Pats, had ridiculous pro day numbers. Moore had a 42.5-inch vertical and ran a 4.29 40 yard dash. Sure he was short at 5’7”, but he’s stocky and strong, and obviously explosive.

That being said. Our biggest weaknesses on this team was QB play and stopping the run, those weaknesses were addressed in rounds 1 and 2. Barmore was considered a 1st round pick. So it might turn out to be a great pick. The guy is a monster when motivated. Hopefully BB can get him going.

As far as a 7th round WR, I would’ve rather they had selected Dax Milne, he would’ve been a great candidate to replace Edelman. But Nixon was a good pick. He gives us what we need, speed. I believe he ran a 4.43 and a 6.81 three cone at his pro day. Don’t know if he did the vertical.

Seems like a good value pick at 38. Bill trusts Saban more than anyone else, or maybe he and Saban understand each other so Bill is more confident than other coaches that he can get the most out of Barnmore. Despite what Saban told the press, I highly doubt he told Bill that Barnmore is some wonderful, misunderstood kid unfairly treated by the media. Rather, he probably went in-depth and Bill thinks whatever the flaws, it’s worth the value to pick him there.

Personally I think the NFL is a star-driven league and steady eddies are overrated, so I like the risk taking. But it does eerily remind me of Ron Brace, just superficially, the draft position, teams with character concerns, etc.

There’s no reason to say “every college player is a risk” because that’s not what the OP meant about Barnmore. Bill’s ball washers in this thread are playing word games as usual.

That being said. Our biggest weaknesses on this team was QB play and stopping the run, those weaknesses were addressed in rounds 1 and 2. Barmore was considered a 1st round pick. So it might turn out to be a great pick. The guy is a monster when motivated. Hopefully BB can get him going.
this
============
Perhaps it is high bar to be better than what we usually get from a 2nd rounder, but Barmore will easily exceed this bar.

Sure, there are questions. Otherwise, he would have been a mid first rounder. He is a great value where we drafted him. He should be a 4 year contributor. We needed help in our run defense. We drafted the best in the draft.

this
============
Perhaps it is high bar to be better than what we usually get from a 2nd rounder, but Barmore will easily exceed this bar.

Sure, there are questions. Otherwise, he would have been a mid first rounder. He is a great value where we drafted him. He should be a 4 year contributor. We needed help in our run defense. We drafted the best in the draft.
Taking Christian Barmore was a gamble.

Relying on Saban's assessment of Barmore is less risky than relying on Meyer's assessment of Hernandez... Nick is not going gloss over defects to his buddy BB.

Am amazed every year how few of these drafted kids who have delayed their gratification after becoming millionaires don't get in more trouble. When I was 21 and someone gave me a boatload of cash not confident I would be able to stay on the "straight and narrow", I suspect that there are more than a few players on this team that will help Barmore adjust to the life and expectations of a NEP player..

Yeah that’s why he slipped lol, I’m very okay with this pick at 38. 15 would have been a different story, but no brainer pick here.

I just read the Warren Sapp comments and they are concerning. I was excited about this pick...but, according to Sapp, Barmore will have a difficult time developing his game because he is that dumb.

I just read the Warren Sapp comments and they are concerning. I was excited about this pick...but, according to Sapp, Barmore will have a difficult time developing his game because he is that dumb.
not sure how smart a IDL has to be, its not like he has to play QB or WR/TE, guess IDL do not have uncounted plays to have in mind when they line up in order to bull rush to the QB or setting the anchor against the run

That’s ironic coming from Sap who is less intelligent than a bowl of goat piss

Yeah, Richards was the exact opposite of that type of player. A guy that fit the mold was Ras-I Dowling who appeared to have all the tools and size to succeed as a press corner in the NFL, but couldn’t stay healthy in college.
Dowling played full seasons for three years at Virginia, before playing 5 games in his senior season due to two injuries (ankle and hamstring).
He recovered fully from both, and had excellent workout scores. Many draft "experts" had him going in the second half of the first round.
He had more favorable injury history than other Patriots picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes