PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking a look at 2021 Patriots HOF possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
1a - Julius Adams
1b - Richard Seymour

After that I would put either Vrabel or Welker next.

Since entrance to the Pats HoF is based on fan voting, Fairbanks is only going to gain entrance via the Senior Committee. The only person to buck that trend was Raymond Clayborn - but there was a lot of talk that year informing younger fans how he was deserving of the honor.

Three people have gained entrance via the Senior Committee, and the next one is not due until 2023. That could set off an interesting debate between Fairbanks, Larry Eisenhauer, Russ Francis, Fred Marion and a few others.
Interesting. I knew the media, staff, and alumni were responsible for the nominations that get voted on, but I like the idea of a Senior Committee for outstanding cases. You're right, there will always be a recency bias especially with younger fans like myself. I'm out-of-state and chose the Patriots when I was 6 in 2004 watching my first Super Bowl because of the colors and name. I'll be sure to vote for Adams and try to spread the word ;). Plenty of time for Seymour, Welker, and the other dynasty guys later.

Looking at the Committee's members, a lot of them are media and Parcells was their darling, so I'm sure he's getting in eventually.

Fairbanks should be in the Patriots Hall IMO.

Last edited:
Interesting. I knew the media, staff, and alumni were responsible for the nominations that get voted on, but I like the idea of a Senior Committee for outstanding cases. You're right, there will always be a recency bias especially with younger fans like myself. I'm out-of-state and chose the Patriots when I was 6 during the 2004 SB because of the colors and name. I'll be sure to vote for Adams and try to spread the word ;). Plenty of time for Seymour, Welker, and the other dynasty guys later.

Looking at the Committee's members, a lot of them are media and Parcells was their darling, so I'm sure he's getting in eventually.

Along with the recency bias there is also the situation where with each passing year another player(s) becomes eligible that was a Patriot from 2001 on. People like Adams and Fairbanks actually face more competition (even just within the senior committee) with each passing year, while at the same time becoming more and more of a fading memory.

Anybody that was from the 60s-70s that did not gain entrance in the first year or two (the Pats HoF began in 1991) faced a huge uphill battle. By 1993 there were seven old timers (John Hannah, Gino Cappelletti, Nick Buoniconti, Steve Nelson, Bob Dee, Jim Lee Hunt, Babe Parilli) in the Hall. From 1994 to 2006 only Mike Haynes and Steve Grogan were added from that era.

Jim Nance and Houston Antwine should have been part of the initial wave of inductees; sadly they were enshrined posthumously. In my opinion Nance was a no-brainer; I can't fathom why he was not included with Dee and Hunt. From what I have read local sports writers didn't like or get along with Antwine, and they may have held a grudge against him when asked for opinions on who should get in.

Stanley Morgan has better numbers than Welker if you ask me, and he didn't even play in a pass happy era nor for a pass happy team. Stanley Morgan actually deserves the HOF now. If Drew Pearson got in, so should Stanley.
Stanley Morgan is in from 2007
The discussion is regarding Patriots Hall of Fame

Never Parcells. I can't find the article now (maybe someone here remembers this), but I remember reading that Belichick was furious with Parcells in the lead-up to the Super Bowl because he wasn't focused on preparations for the game.

Julius Adams. He should have been in years ago. Disgraceful.

I am ok with Walker after Adams. Not ok with Tuna.

Am strongly against Parcells due to lack of longevity and how he left. He seems to get a lot of credit for rebuilding the team and while some of that is warranted if the Pats had struggled again in 2001 instead of starting a dynasty he would not be looked at with nearly as much esteem. At the end of the day he was a .500 coach with the Pats including 2-2 in the post season.

Welker is a no brainer as he was an incredible player for the Patriots and helped redefine the slot position. 6 seasons and had over 650 catches and 7400 yards in the regular season and solid post seasons despite a few notable drops.

mixed on this... you'd be hard pressed to find a coach who was screwed over more by ownership than chuck fairbanks ... but the mind **** he dropped on that '78 team before the playoffs is an unforgivable sin in my book...

guys worthy of Patriots HoF? Not sure, will have to think on it

No offense, but anytime I see a Pats fan recommend Tuna Crap for the Pats HOF I get sick.
-The guy worked behind the scenes with the jete for a whole year while he was coaching the Pats.
-After the SB, which he helped us lose by repeatedly kicking the ball to Desmond Howard, he bolted and didn't fly back with the team.
-He worked a poison pill contract with Curtis Martin to get him to leave with him to go to the jete.
-After leaving he claimed that he didn't get to shop for the groceries but took credit for drafting the players that he himself said he didn't get to draft.

Prior to his time in NE he rode Belichick's defenses to the only true success that he had as a HC. He was great at picking his spots though, by taking jobs with teams that couldn't go anywhere but up.

As for darkness to dynasty, the Pats had a SB caliber team in the 70's (robbed by Ben Dreith in 76), 80's (met the greatest defense ever) and 90's (the one Tuna pi55ed away) and didn't become a dynasty until the B&B show came to town.

I'd put Pete Carroll in the Pats HOF before Tuna Jerk.
This. No way in hell just because a couple of idiot reports in the Boston area want it, should that rancid turd, The Tuna, ever be allowed near the Pats HOF. He was negotiating with the Jets from his hotel room in New Orleans in the 3 days prior to the Super Bowl. There are public phone records from his hotel room to the Jets HQ in Florham Park. Completely unacceptable. NEVER!!!!

Never Parcells. I can't find the article now (maybe someone here remembers this), but I remember reading that Belichick was furious with Parcells in the lead-up to the Super Bowl because he wasn't focused on preparations for the game.
It's briefly mentioned in Patriot Reign. Quote from Belichick:

"He was trying to make up his mind about what he wanted to do. Which, honestly, I felt totally inappropriate. How many chances do you get to play for the Super Bowl? Tell them to get back to you in a couple of days. I'm not saying it was disrepectful to me, but it was in terms of the overall commitment to the team."

I still think Fairbanks and possibly Pat Sullivan deserve to get in. (whom Fairbanks recommended for GM as he was leaving). Definitely not Chuck lol

Last edited:
Even if Parcels left on the best of terms, his tenure on the Patriots is not within sniffing range of the HOF. Why he keeps getting brought up mystifies me. He must be getting a major bump based on what he did elsewhere in some people's eyes.

My preference for the next 5 in order:
Richard Seymour
Julius Adams
Corey Dillon
Larry Eisenhauer
Ty Warren

It's a damn shame Adams & Eisenhauer weren't inducted while they were alive. If they were still with us they'd be 1 & 2 on my list.

My preference for the next 5 in order:
Richard Seymour
Julius Adams
Corey Dillon
Larry Eisenhauer
Ty Warren

It's a damn shame Adams & Eisenhauer weren't inducted while they were alive. If they were still with us they'd be 1 & 2 on my list.
Big Sey is in the Patriots HoF

Some older players that are worthy of consideration, that haven't already been mentioned
  • Jim Colclough, FL/E/TE ... '60-68 ... 1 x pro bowl, ranks 8th in all time receiving yards for Pats players, 6th in receiving td's
  • Tommy Addison, LB, '60-'67 ... 4 x pro bowl, 1 x All Pro ... member of the 1960's All Patriots Team, Team Captain
  • tbc... (to be continued, NOT Tully Banta Cain)

he was a .500 coach with the Pats including 2-2 in the post season.
As of now Parcells still holds the distinction of being the last head coach to lose a playoff game to the Cleveland Browns.

Big Sey is in the Patriots HoF

Some older players that are worthy of consideration, that haven't already been mentioned
  • Jim Colclough, FL/E/TE ... '60-68 ... 1 x pro bowl, ranks 8th in all time receiving yards for Pats players, 6th in receiving td's
  • Tommy Addison, LB, '60-'67 ... 4 x pro bowl, 1 x All Pro ... member of the 1960's All Patriots Team, Team Captain
  • tbc... (to be continued, NOT Tully Banta Cain)
Good catch on Seymour. I thought he was in, but just like @maust1013 I simply relied on the link. It would have been very helpful if that site had put a date with the article. The fact there has yet to be an enshrinement ceremony may have had something to do with our brain locks. Perhaps I will change the title of the thread to '2021' rather than '2020', because other than Sey all else is still applicable.

Colclough is an excellent addition to the list for the next Seniors Committee to consider too.

I'm hoping Michael Bishop gets the nod this year, clearly a poor man's Lamar Jackson who never got his due

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down