PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise Picks For The Pats?

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
So who do you think will end up being picks that might surprise us on any of the draft days in the context of not often being mocked to us regularly or not necessarily fitting obvious need.

My three are potential first rounders

Da’Ron Payne - Just strikes me as a player B.B. likes
Hayden Hurst/Dallas Goedert - The whole Gronk thing
Derrius Guice - A quality RB on a five year contract. He’s good enough that he represents good value at this point in the draft.

Trade up for Chubb.

It’s unlikely that this happens,the cost will be too much but whilst I would be surprised, not as much as one might think. Good answer.

So who do you think will end up being picks that might surprise us on any of the draft days in the context of not often being mocked to us regularly or not necessarily fitting obvious need.

Payne represents great value in the first round as a versatile DL we could use with Valentine coming off an injury.

I have him as a selection for the draft contest.

Payne represents great value in the first round as a versatile DL we could use with Valentine coming off an injury.

I have him as a selection for the draft contest.

I can see him being a pick - a Malcom Brown replacement.

My three are potential first rounders

Hayden Hurst/Dallas Goedert - The whole Gronk thing
Derrius Guice - A quality RB on a five year contract. He’s good enough that he represents good value at this point in the draft.

Don't see surprises here apart from Guice in 1st round.
Payne is actually my most mocked prospect over past year. Even a slight trade up for him would hardly be a surprise. Hurst and Goedert are in conversation with NE a lot as well.

C'mon Manx, give us a real surprise!

To me a surprise would be WR in 1st round (in re. to scouting them so openly).

Don't see surprises here apart from Guice in 1st round.
Payne is actually my most mocked prospect over past year. Even a slight trade up for him would hardly be a surprise. Hurst and Goedert are in conversation with NE a lot as well.

C'mon Manx, give us a real surprise!

To me a surprise would be WR in 1st round.

I didn’t want to include everyone otherwise there’s nobody for anyone else to contribute.

T.Bryan DL or Mason Rudolph in round first would suprise me a bit but I have a hunch it might happen. DJ Moore or Kirk with a pick 23rd as well.

A DB from Rutgers, drafted 3 round ahead of where anyone else thought he would go.
Not surprising at all :). Draft for the Pats without any Rutgers players would be dubious.

iOL like Price, Daniels, Hernandez would be a surprise for me. I think Wynn is a possibility since he can play tackle. Other than that or a kicker/punter, I'm pretty much prepared for anything, including one of the lower ranked QBs like White or Lauletta at 31.

I have Isaiah Wynn, Derrius Guice, and Calvin Ridley. That said, these aren't really surprises, they're players whose consensus value seems to be around the mid-to-late 1st round.

Wynn because I think pundits are judging him as a pure guard but I think he has five-position versatility and might be the best tackle in the draft. If Garcia works out then you have a Mason replacement next season, if he doesn't then you have a slot-in left tackle. Guice because I think he's Marshawn Lynch with better hands and the pendulum on running back value has swung too far the other way to the point where I think running backs are undervalued. Ridley because he's a tremendous route runner and the Patriots have shown an interest in wide receivers without great testing scores.

A slipping player I think might surprise would be Derwin James, Roquan Smith, or Tremaine Edmunds. They're not guys who anyone really has going to the Patriots, but I could see a reasonable trade upwards to nab one of them should they fall, and I think one or all have a shot at falling.

A rising player I could see would be Arden Key, who I think may have looked better in his sophomore year before he hurt his shoulder than guys like Jadeveon Clowney or Myles Garrett, which would fit with the injury value the Patriots often go searching for. He looked like a #1 overall pick, but then he had the shoulder injury and put on weight and had some other issues. I wouldn't be shocked by an Antonio Callaway selection, either.

Last edited:
It's strange that given we have been to the AFC Championship game 7 years in a row, just coming off a SB appearance and favourites again this year that we in theory have so many needs. You can make an argument for almost any position. I've seen QB, OT, DE, LB, S, RB and CB all mocked to us in the 1st round. The exceptions seem to be on the interior defensive and offensive lines and TE. Therefore anyone at those positions would be a surprise. A WR in the 1st would be a surprise too.

I do wonder if we'll see a guard higher than people think. They apparently wanted Dan Feeney last year. If there is a guy with OT/G or G/C versatility in the 2nd round I wouldn't be shocked if they took them.

I've been banging the Ronnie Harrison drum. I don't think it's a shock if we take him at 31 but 23 would be a surprise. I could see a McCourty situation with him where we do 2 mini trades down and then pick him at about 28, knowing he was our guy.

I also think someone like Rasheem Green could be a shock pick at 31. He has a lot of upside, really athletic and has the size BB likes as a DE, had 10 sacks last year and has the all important versatility that BB craves too. Could see them using him like Chandler Jones, as he has the ability to play as a DE or slide inside to DT as a rusher. Jones was also a late riser - was only a week before the draft he started getting 1st round buzz if I recall.

Surprises:

23 Ronnie Harrison
31 Rasheem Green
31 Christian Kirk
43 interior o-line.

What are the thoughts on Keke Coutee out of Texas Tech? I saw a pre-draft "sleeper" thing that had his name as a potential replacement for Amendola.

He seems kinda slight at 5'9 6/8 - 181lbs. Also seems to have small hands at 8 3/8".

The big sell on him is that he plays really fast on the field. Particularly in his ability to sell routes, though he's had a very limited route tree..

A DB from Rutgers, drafted 3 round ahead of where anyone else thought he would go.

I sure hope so. Take a look at all of the DBs the Patriots have drafted in the top 3 rounds in the past decade:

RUTGERS
Devin McCourty
Logan Ryan
Duron Harmon

NON-RUTGERS
Tavon Wilson
Ras-I Dowling
Patrick Chung
Darius Butler
Terrance Wheatley

By all means, bring on the Scarlet Knights!

Then trade back up for Jackson or Rudolph

I'm sure it would make a lot of folks' heads explode, but a trade up for Lamar Jackson wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I expect Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Mayfield will all be gone early, and for all the risks Jackson is a far more intriguing talent than any of the later QBs.

A Shiny FECKIN Toy Running Back in the FIRST FECKIN ROUND, and a SLOW FECKIN DWARF Slot CB in the 2ND FECKIN ROUND - AGAIN!!!

Surprising enough for your asses?

P.S.: Bill Belichick = Duplicitous Pond Scum.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: jah

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back