PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise cut thread

I forgot James White as the odd man out but will retire so he's not cut.
He'd more likely go on PUP and then IR. He may as well get paid.

Agholor won't be cut, I think at worse Pats eat some of his cap hit and trade him for basically nothing. I think he eventually returns to the Raiders this season.

Meyers in a trade would shock most people, but it would actually be a good thing as it means Parker or Thornton are going to be a big part of the offense.
Thornton is still a rookie and Meyers is cheap. I think this is Meyers final year here, but we should probably keep him.

I'm going to say Lawrence Guy.

Probably won't happen, but with God resigning and Barmore having a great camp, maybe Davis, Anderson, Ray and Sam Roberts make it and we save some cap space by releasing him. Guy has been a great Patriot, so this is going out on the limb, but the OP asked for a surprise cut and I think Guy would represent that.

Probably won't happen, but with God resigning and Barmore having a great camp, maybe Davis, Anderson, Ray and Sam Roberts make it and we save some cap space by releasing him. Guy has been a great Patriot, so this is going out on the limb, but the OP asked for a surprise cut and I think Guy would represent that.
I think Guy being cut would save 2.7M. That'd be interesting.

Current Brian Hoyer cap hit for 2022 = 1.76 million

If Brian Hoyer is cut and brought back, cap hit for 2022 = 3.080 million PLUS his veteran minimum salary (estimated around 1 million) - 4 million.

Do you think they eat 2.3 million in cap this year to save one spot and cut Hoyer for a short time?
It's not necessarily "eating cap" as much as it is accelerating some of next year's cap hit into this year's. His signing bonus cap hit from 2023 would hit this year but then would fall off next season.

Additionally, his veteran minimum contract would not be guaranteed because he is not on the roster on week 1, so if they only have him on the roster for some weeks, it would be pro-rated for weeks that he is on the team (at least, as far as I understand it).

Great point Ash forgot about him. I agree he's a candidate.

This was my prediction last year :)

1659622410210.png

I think Guy being cut would save 2.7M. That'd be interesting.
This is what Guy's cap numbers look like as a post June 1 cut (courtesy of overthecap.com)
1659622853502.png

If they cut him how does this calculation work? $3.25M in cap savings in 2022 minus $1.75M in total dead money with = $1.5M in savings? How is $2.7M calculated?

I would offer Devin McCourty except he probably has some iron clad contract to make it impossible. My next offer would be Deatrich Wise. Same contract issue as McCourty, Time to move on from both.

It's not necessarily "eating cap" as much as it is accelerating some of next year's cap hit into this year's. His signing bonus cap hit from 2023 would hit this year but then would fall off next season.

Additionally, his veteran minimum contract would not be guaranteed because he is not on the roster on week 1, so if they only have him on the roster for some weeks, it would be pro-rated for weeks that he is on the team (at least, as far as I understand it).

I get what you're saying, but still don't believe the team will think it's worth giving up cap this year for next year with how tight it is.

We'll see.

I get what you're saying, but still don't believe the team will think it's worth giving up cap this year for next year with how tight it is.

We'll see.
This is the “surprise” cut thread after all, right? ;)

I would offer Devin McCourty except he probably has some iron clad contract to make it impossible. My next offer would be Deatrich Wise. Same contract issue as McCourty, Time to move on from both.
We'd lost 7M in cap room cutting McCourty.

Wise.. Guy.. Bethel/Cody davis .. Hoyer.. Butler

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back