PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise cut thread

Jennings and Perkins don’t play the same position/role as Wise.
In essence they are sharing the same amount of snaps, but Perkins and Jennings are playing the edge when we have 2 true DL on the field and Wise plays when we want the 3rd DL out there.
Wises snaps would go to Henry Anderson or Ekaube

Good point about Anderson and Ekuale. But I swear Wise played inside and on the edge last year.

Good point about Anderson and Ekuale. But I swear Wise played inside and on the edge last year.
They played 2 versions of the base.
One was like a 3-4 with the 4th LB being a safety.
That’s the one Wise played in as like a 3-4 DE.
The other was more like a 4-3 with the “OLBs” playing like 4-3 DEs. Wise didn’t play in that version.
In other words we use DLman as 4-3 DTs, 3-4 DEs and NTs.
Wise was only a 3-4 DE.
We use “edge players” as 4-3 DEs of 3-4 OLBs. That is where Perkins and Jennings fit.

They played 2 versions of the base.
One was like a 3-4 with the 4th LB being a safety.
That’s the one Wise played in as like a 3-4 DE.
The other was more like a 4-3 with the “OLBs” playing like 4-3 DEs. Wise didn’t play in that version.
In other words we use DLman as 4-3 DTs, 3-4 DEs and NTs.
Wise was only a 3-4 DE.
We use “edge players” as 4-3 DEs of 3-4 OLBs. That is where Perkins and Jennings fit.

Thanks. Great description. Let's hope we traded Winovich because the Pats already knew Jennings and Perkins were going to displace him.

So I guess it is Anderson or Wise depending on how much 3 - 4 we plan on playing? Ekuale seems like a good backup (can't have All Pros everywhere).

Thanks. Great description. Let's hope we traded Winovich because the Pats already knew Jennings and Perkins were going to displace him.

So I guess it is Anderson or Wise depending on how much 3 - 4 we plan on playing? Ekuale seems like a good backup (can't have All Pros everywhere).
Winovich wasn’t really in the field much.
What they did was generally Van Noy played a different role in each set. Playing outside on the edge when wise was in and off the ball when he wasn’t.
Yeah, it was sort of a new wrinkle that we played it so often like a 3-4 look. Typically we have favored 2 DTs 2 edge OLB/DEs and 2 off the ball LBs plus the 5 dbs.
I think Jennings and Perkins fit that with Jennings also being able to play off the ball (Jennings could be the new Van Noy) and of course Uche fits into that mix also.

I expect we will see an alteration in the scheme this year. Nothing drastic but some changes sort of within this topic because the Bills exposed the plan because they matched up so well against it. We made similar changes after the eagle SB, and also to deal with KC.

It’s been more than just a shoulder injury with Jon Jones, unfortunately…
His injury last year was a shoulder injury.
Before that he played 79 of 80 games in his career

Malcolm Butler.

His injury last year was a shoulder injury.
Before that he played 79 of 80 games in his career

He also had knee problems last year… Look at the TB game… He also missed the 2017 AFCC & SB…

Unfortunately, PFF doesn't break down the snaps for D-linemen on whether they were at DT or DE. Probably would require too much work and understanding on their part.

He also had knee problems last year… Look at the TB game… He also missed the 2017 AFCC & SB…
You think that having an injury 5 years ago caused him to drop off 5 years later?
You are way off the mark on this one.

FWIW per Unfiltered: Devin Asiasi's dad was at the practices this week...he says his son is very aware he is on the bubble and might not make the 53.

My surprise cut is pff player of the year, Deatrich Wise. Why? Because I don't like his 2-3 useless sacks while getting blown off the los in the run game each year. This isn't even a surprise.....more of a wishful thinking kind of thing.

I really can’t think of any cuts that would be a genuine surprise. If Wynn is being a malcontent and they decide he isn’t worth the trouble, guess I’d be surprised by that. There’s just not any talent from the bottom to really push a lot of the top guys off the roster.

My surprise cut is pff player of the year, Deatrich Wise. Why? Because I don't like his 2-3 useless sacks while getting blown off the los in the run game each year. This isn't even a surprise.....more of a wishful thinking kind of thing.
Thank you. I have been saying this for a couple years. Please add Jawaun Bentley to the ride out of town.

Can I put Matty P here? One can dream...

Relatively surprising:
Terrence Mitchell
Jabrill Peppers
Jonathan Jones
Raekwon McMillan

Very mild surprise:
Henry Anderson
Devin Asiasi
Lawrence Guy

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back