PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl 51 Prediction!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I presume nothing of The Future, Ladies & Laddies...But this is how I see things...

I'll get straight to it: I believe that there's a very strong Chance that we're about to witness a Blow Out.

Call me Crazy, but I predicted one 3 Years ago. I, and I alone, predicted, on the Record, that the 3 Point UnderDog SeaHawks would destroy the high-flying Broncos..and the SeaHawks annihilated them!!

The Falcons, too, are 3 Point UnderDogs...But for them I do not foresee a similar outcome.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'm hearing and reading all sorts of different accounts of what the results have been, historically, when the #1 Offense has met the #1 Defense in the Super Bowl. First off, please allow me to clarify that "#1 Defense" has always only meant one thing: The Defense that gave up the least Points. Only an Idiot believes that Yards Points.

And the Record, since the Merger of the Leagues in 1970, is that the #1 Offense has met the #1 Defense exactly 5 Times... and that the results have been that the #1 Defense has prevailed, 4 times out of 5.

That just begins to tell the Story, though.

The one Time that the #1 Defense failed was in 1989, when the Broncos's #1 Defense got shellacked, 55-10, by the #1 Miners Offense...and the #3 Miners Defense. And that's the thing: In 1989, the NFC was still dominant over the AFC. The Miners's Defense had earned its #3 Rating against PowerHouses like the Giants, RedSkins, Eagles, Bears, Saints, Vikings, and Rams...a Murderer's Row of prolific Team that would've run roughshod over AFC Defenses.

Ranking duly noted, but the Miners fielded the better Defense, that day. And it showed.

What I'd like to know...Is how many Times the #1 Offense has gone up against the #1 Defense...while also fielding the #27 Defense going up against the #3 Offense?? For that, Ladies & Laddies, is what the Falcons are about to do.

I'm not looking at such a narrow Scope, of course.

But we are looking at Great Offense + Great Defense Versus Great Offense + Awful Defense.

The 1984 Fish actually fielded a good Defense going into the Super Bowl, which happens to be on that list of 5 that I linked above, and which fielded Joe Montana's Miners versus Dan Marino's Fish ~ the #1 Defense + #2 Offense Versus the #7 Defense + #1 Offense...and although the Fish were supposed to be phenomenal and although Marino had just set a TouchDown Record and was supposed to revolutionize the Game...the Miners demolished them, 38-16.

Perhaps more compelling examples of what I'm trying to say are provided for by Super Bowls where Teams with Top 10 Offenses and Defenses went against Teams with Top 10 Offenses...but rather mediocre Defenses.

I humbly offer you 3 such examples:

Giants ~ #8 Offense + #2 Defense
Broncos ~ #6 Offense + #15 Defense

Giants ~ 39
Broncos ~ 20

CowBoys ~ #2 Offense + #5 Defense
Beefalo ~ #3 Offense + #14 Defense

CowBoys ~ 52
Beefalo ~ 17

And of course...

SeaHawks ~ #9 Offense + #1 Defense
Broncos ~ #1 Offense + #22 Defense

SeaHawks ~ 43
Broncos ~ 8

That's an average Margin of Victory of 30 Points, Ladies & Laddies. And it wasn't luck.

When you can stop the other Team, but the other Team can't stop you...you have a recipe for a Slaughter.

And, for what it's worth: I came up with this Score before I researched those:

Patriots ~ #3 Offense + #1 Defense
Falcons ~ #1 Offense + #27 Defense

Patriots ~ 45
Falcons ~ 17

So Let It Be Written.

* By the way: Bovada ~ who is not paying me to mention this but ought to!! ~ pays off 9-1 if you lay 21.5 Points.

Just sayin!! :D

In case you haven't heard the bad news that the Atlanta Falcon's broke into Marvel Studios and stole the Secret Cap't America Super Soldier Serum and injected their defense with it.

The results are stunning.

Before: Weeks 1-16
upload_2017-2-4_10-55-4.png

After: Post Season.
upload_2017-2-4_10-56-30.png

from your keyboard to God's monitor, OTG.

If we generalize the behavior of large collections of particles, like football players, according to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory, might the wavefunction collapse into points in space that, taken together, result in the outcome you have predicted.

If we use the many worlds interpretation, may we live in the world in which the Super Bowl outcome is as you say (unless that world also somehow necessarily includes something like an evil disease outbreak, a nuclear war, or something like that).

At the moment, however, although I like your thinking, we still have no idea what we're about to witness.

But I agree.

from your keyboard to God's monitor, OTG.

If we generalize the behavior of large collections of particles, like football players, according to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory, might the wavefunction collapse into points in space that, taken together, result in the outcome you have predicted.

If we use the many worlds interpretation, may we live in the world in which the Super Bowl outcome is as you say (unless that world also somehow necessarily includes something like an evil disease outbreak, a nuclear war, or something like that).

At the moment, however, although I like your thinking, we still have no idea what we're about to witness.

But I agree.

The disclaimer is perpetual as in "Any given Sunday". Just not this Sunday.

So Let It Be Written.

* By the way: Bovada ~ who is not paying me to mention this but ought to!! ~ pays off 9-1 if you lay 21.5 Points.

Just sayin!! :D

Lordy Lordy! I want to lay 100 clams on that 21.5 now.....seriously.

Just went to their website. I'm paranoid to use my atm card# and they don't have take paypal.

decisions decisions.:eek:

Lordy Lordy! I want to lay 100 clams on that 21.5 now.....seriously.

Just went to their website. I'm paranoid to use my atm card# and they don't have take paypal.

decisions decisions.:eek:

Is it me or is 9-1 a bit low for 21.5 points ?

I have it 38-23, NE has a much better D O's are a push.

One thing I keep hearing from Falcon fans is that Atlanta has played top-10 scoring offenses six times this year (including the playoffs). For the most part the Patriots are then disparaged by mentioning some of the low-caliber quarterbacks they have faced this season.

The problem with that argument is that the Patriots have faced top-ten scoring offenses five times themselves, and both teams got the benefit of playing the offensively challenged Rams, Niners and Broncos.

Also not mentioned is that in those six games against the Falcons, four times that opponents scored more than their season average. The exceptions were Arizona going on the road late in the year for a second consecutive 1:00 start, and an injury depleted Packer team two weeks ago.

Make no mistake, Atlanta is a very good team - but some of these pro-Falcon talking points are useless.

Is it me or is 9-1 a bit low for 21.5 points ?

Pretty Standard, actually. It does feel like it should be a lot higher...But, hey: They've got a Business to run, and they could get annihilated if they pay out 40-1 on that and some Billionaire decides to take a swing at breaking them with one Bet. :eek:

Pretty Standard, actually. It does feel like it should be a lot higher...But, hey: They've got a Business to run, and they could get annihilated if they pay out 40-1 on that and some Billionaire decides to take a swing at breaking them with one Bet. :eek:

Yeah it makes sense but given the historical lack of blowouts I am just surprised that it is "only" 9-1. Gotta try to find some historical data on bigger handicaps..

I am not going to make predictions but this Atlanta team reminds me of the Panthers of last year. However, some of their fans on their forum are incredibly misinformed and are so predisposed in making baseless proclamations compared to the Panthers.
There are things I look for before the Super Bowl and indications are trending in the right places for me so far.

I know the Pats will win, but somehow, somewhere some obscure sportswriter will come up with some conspiracy story that will try to discredit the Patriots..

I do not believe in statistics for the Super Bowl, do not believe the history of the SB will be a factor, do not believe in "Any given Sunday".. what I do believe in that greatest coach of all time and the greatest QB of all time combined with added incentives will win this game handily.

Patriots 34, Falcons 27.

With eight minutes to go, the Falcons score a TD to make it 27-24 Patriots, but then the Patriots (and Blount) run the ball down their throats, taking six and a half minutes off the clock while responding with a TD to extend the lead to 34-24. Ryan and Jones finally connect on a deep pass to immediately put the Falcons in FG range, but the Patriots make the stop and force a FG. The ensuing onside kick attempt, with less than thirty seconds left, is easily recovered by the Patriots.

I think it comes down to if Ryan can keep up with Brady. We will see Brady continually hit his receivers and score in the red zone. The Patriot's defense will not stop Ryan. I don't think they score a TD in every red zone drive. It will be a high scoring and close game. The Patriots win.

What would you rather: Patriots lead 33-30, Atlanta starts their drive at their own 35 with 1:25 remaining. Two timeouts. Or the same situation, Falcons leading by that score, we have the ball at the 35 and two timeouts.

My prediction: The Patriots get their first pick six since SB 36.

Something about the crippled center is making me more and more confident... maybe too confident... maybe my yearning for certainty makes me overvalue this particular wrinkle (and of course, the report itself could be bullsh1t).

I just want Matty Ice in a tub of same after this game, what can I say.

Do not eff up TB's revenge in this, the Year of the Witch-hunt Revenge. Winning this one will be like "That all ya got, Roger?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents