PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suggestion: Trade for Manny Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I think the Pats should go for Corey Davis. Still think there is a good WR in there. I mean Humphries looked good with an average QB like Winston and now he sucks with the Titans. Not to mention it would be far easier cap wise to manage.
This is it.
Davis is young, cheap & underutilized. I'd want him before anyone else that's been brought up. He's been buried in Tennessee behind incompetent/predictable offenses & different systems that obviously haven't gotten the best out of him.

Again young, cheap & lots of untapped potential.

c. I would suggest that in the end the 2019 draft will be looked back in awe
In a bad way, it may be.

d. Questioning whether the Harry pick was wise at this point is past stupid
It certainly doesn’t look good when he lasts a total of 3 plays and then goes on IR for an injury that’s not a tear. And people had their doubts about the pick prior to the injury.

e. Questioning whether the Williams and Harris picks were wise is ever stupider that that.
Williams would be starting on half the teams in the league. The only reason he isn't contributing yet is that JC Jackson is ahead of him. A guy who would be starting on 90% of the league's team, and is the #4 CB here.
Williams was a questionable pick when the team is already stacked at CB. And you don’t know if he’d be a starter on “90%” of teams in the league as he hasn’t shown enough. A TE should’ve been the pick here.

Last edited:
FYI - For those who were bemoaning the loss of getting Jared Cooks for the $BMM 2019 cap hit he could potentially cost the Saints, here is his current production. Thru 4 games, 18 targets, 8 receptions, 90 yds, o TD's 1 fumble.

So the next time you hear some narrative that includes how the Pats "swung and missed" so often at receivers in the off season, BE careful what you wish for.

Same as with Humphries (or anyone really) that doesn't mean he would have been unproductive here as well.

In fact given the resume of BB finding effective roles for players I would almost argue that he most likely would have done better here.

In a bad way, it may be.

It certainly doesn’t look good when he lasts a total of 3 plays and then goes on IR for an injury that’s not a tear.

Williams was a questionable pick when the team is already stacked at CB. And you don’t know if he’d be a starter on “90%” of teams in the league as he hasn’t shown enough. A TE should’ve been the pick here.

The criticism of Harry and especially the Williams pick will look so awful in a year or two.

I see people throwing around that term a lot but that this is not what cap hell is. We are one restructure away from where we have always been in terms of space. Losing key players of your team to FA and not being able to hold on to everyone is the nominal state.

Cap hell is when you can't even start the year above water and have to keep restructuring and cutting players to just get below. And by passing the bucket down the road you eviscerate any chance of flexibility to strengthen your team for the next 1-2 seasons.

Check out the mid 10s Saints for what cap hell looks like. We are not in a particularly crazy situation at all.

I think cap hell can be reached by some combination of these:

A. Having a lot of dead money from backloaded contracts/pushing hits down the road.

B. Having a high number of of underperforming players with expensive non-rookie contracts.

C. (The most important one, as this makes A & B really hurt) A lack of production from rookie contracts, or a bad success rate in recent drafts.

I don’t see how the Patriots hit on any of these, though last offseason I was concerned about C (valuable rookie contract players have emerged significantly since then.) Would you agree?

In a bad way, it may be..
entitled to you smarmy opinion. More later in the post on this

It certainly doesn’t look good when he lasts a total of 3 plays and then goes on IR for an injury that’s not a tear. And people had their doubts about the pick prior to the injury..
I guess you missed the 4 weeks of TC where he DID play and chose to ignore any of the clearly good plays he made in that environment. I was at several of those practices, and the kid is a player. Not just a WR, but as a football player. For example Bill made the offense play defense and defense play offense on the GL. The Defense tried a quick pass to the outside, Harry broke thru 2 defenders to make a tackle for a loss. And he is a tenacious blocker as well.

It's a shame he got hurt, but he'll likely be coming back next week to start practicing and he won't be. BTW- it is NEVER a good idea to look at 3 plays and make a career long judgement. Not a good look

I didn't disagree at the time. Seems like a sh!tload of CB's back when Crossen and Dawson were also on the team. But here's the thing. We are playing NFL football in an age where there is a PREMIUM on good secondary play and Williams is a potential difference making freak at 6'4. This is also a time where 6'4 WR are becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Again. Nothing this kid did during the preseason was anything less than great. They couldn't complete a pass on him, he tackled like a beast and did well when faced with starters, AND he played some safety. But you can only play 4 CB's on game day, who would you sit down?

You can't have watched him play in the preseason and not think that there are a LOT of teams in this league that would love to have him starting based on what we saw in preseason. His time will come. Having too many DB's isn't a luxury and he will get his snaps unless no one gets hurt.

I regretted the pick when they made it. I took it back after I watched him play. Suggesting Williams was a bad pick is like saying that about Aaron Rodgers his first 2 years.

Same as with Humphries (or anyone really) that doesn't mean he would have been unproductive here as well.

In fact given the resume of BB finding effective roles for players I would almost argue that he most likely would have done better here.
I know that, but I couldn't resist after I saw an article questioning the signing. Wan't it Bill that said, "sometimes the best personnel decisions are the ones that didn't happen", or something to that effect.

I'm just getting frustrated with all the "if we ONLY could add a WR/TE talk" I hear all day. Aren't you?

After I became aware that they are gong to have TWENTY FA's come March, and about $54MM in cap space to sign guys like Brady, Shelton, Collins, Gordon, KVN, Thuney, DMac, and AButler, just to name a few of the more important names; all the talk about extending players, in order to sign yet another receiver, would significantly shrink that number further, just adds to the ludicrousness of adding someone like Diggs

As it is, if they do nothing more this season, the Pats will likely be able to sign just 4 or 5 of JUST those names I mentioned, let alone the other 12 guys.

Last edited:
In a bad way, it may be.

It certainly doesn’t look good when he lasts a total of 3 plays and then goes on IR for an injury that’s not a tear. And people had their doubts about the pick prior to the injury.

I'm as critical about the draft as anybody but this is just stupid.

We need to give these guys 2-3 years of time. In some cases 4-5 years.

With age in the secondary, Williams is in line to be tremendously important starting next year. (sooner if there are injuries) I thought the pick made a ton of sense.

I know that, but I couldn't resist after I saw an article questioning the signing. Wan't it Bill that said, "sometimes the best personnel decisions are the ones that didn't happen", or something to that effect.

I'm just getting frustrated with all the "if we ONLY could add a WR/TE talk" I hear all day. Aren't you?

After I became aware that they are gong to have TWENTY FA's come March, and about $54MM in cap space to sign guys like Brady, Shelton, Collins, Gordon, KVN, Thuney, DMac, and AButler, just to name a few of the more important names; all the talk about extending players, in order to sign yet another receiver, would significantly shrink that number further, just adds to the ludicrousness of adding someone like Diggs

As it is, if they do nothing more this season, the Pats will likely be able to sign just 4 or 5 of JUST those names I mentioned, let alone the other 12 guys.

Holy crap. That's a **** load of compensation picks.

With age in the secondary, Williams is in line to be tremendously important starting next year. (sooner if there are injuries) I thought the pick made a ton of sense.

Yep. Jackson slides into JMCs role. Williams slides into JCs role OR/AND moves to safety where Harmon will be gone if he doesn't restructure, Dmac is a free agent, 33, could reture and Chung is 33.

Honestly I think the Pats should go for Corey Davis. Still think there is a good WR in there. I mean Humphries looked good with an average QB like Winston and now he sucks with the Titans. Not to mention it would be far easier cap wise to manage.

Now that is really interesting.

Unfortunately there is a max of comp, picks you can receive.

At the same time this means they can add the usual 2-3 depth level signings without risking to lose a comp pick. Which means they don't have to wait a couple of weeks until signings don't count against the formula anymore and scour the trash heap.

The perfect WR for this offense (and our cap).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back