PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stopping Jets offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let's get down to it.......I am not scared of the "Sanchise" in any way. I think, at this point he is an above average QB at best, possibly headed towards "good" as his career progresses. Nothing to fear and we certainly have faced and beaten much better this year.

What does concern me a whole lot is trying to cover their passing game threats - TE's have eaten us up alive this year and Keller has always hurt us. The always not so classy, crybaby Tomlinson has to be a major worry cathing passes out fo the backfield. They have their pair of the fine, upstanding, good citizen, good role model and all aorund nice guy bookends in Holmes and Edwards. Rounding things out are Crotchery (if he is ready to go), and Brad Smith, coming off of his best game as a pro yesterday.

Our DB group seems to be getting better every week, but still prone to giving up too much yardage. Out LB's are not doing a good job in coverage at all and our pass rush has been fair/good, but nowhere near the dominating force desired.

So, beating the jests is going to come down to taking away their run game, which I am confident will be done and then making Sanchez feel uncomfortable, hence forcing mistakes.

Thoughts and analysis please?

The thing is, Sanchez is getting to be predictable, inthat more often than not, he doesn't go through all his reads but seems to zero in on his target. Even the Bengals last night could see that and caused all sorts of havoc with his receivers, jumping the routes and knocking down the ball or getting picls.

When Sanchez went through his progressions, it was harder to figure out his target, but when he got hurried or nervous or frustrated, he would just lock onto his receiver and let it fly.

He also doesn't like to throw it away. He's prone to hanging onto the ball, trying to make a play or force it into coverage, and that can also be exploited. He has talent, but he's still young and learning.

I think we can get to him and disrupt his routes and cause him to make mistakes.

Experience and cunning will always overcome youth and stamina. :cool:

The Jets are a better team than us in every spot except QB. It's amazing how good Tom Brady is, sometimes it's easy to take him for granted. We have the distinct advantage in this game because Brady>>>>>Sanchez.

and BB>>Rex.

The Jets are a better team than us in every spot except QB. It's amazing how good Tom Brady is, sometimes it's easy to take him for granted. We have the distinct advantage in this game because Brady>>>>>Sanchez.

and BB>>Rex.

Pats have better safeties, TE's, and DL, in addition to the aforementioned edge at QB and HC.

The Jets are a better team than us in every spot except QB.

I would like to argue that.
DT - Pats without a doubt.
TE - Pats have more depth.
ILB - The Pats may have them there.

A few others you could argue, just pointing out the 3 where I think we're better.

Pats have better safeties, TE's, and DL, in addition to the aforementioned edge at QB and HC.

AJY is a Jets fan. This is how I see the edges playing out...

QB
Slot receiver
TE
LG
RG (when healthy)
RT
NT
ILB
Safety

Giving the Jets edges at...

RB
C
WR1
WR2
DE (left and right)
OLB
CB

I left LT out of it. Light is still a solid LT and Ferguson has been doing a decent job this year. I couldn't give either team a clear cut edge there, though I'm sure some of my fellow posters would be happy to disagree.

one thing that reiss highlighted in game 2 was the inability of the pats to adjust quickly like the jets did. the jets went to coverage than blitz schemes but pats didnt adjust quickly .same with defense , not adjusting to sub runs. Our young coaching staff also has its task cut out vs a more expereinced jets coaching staff minus BB v rex.

The Jets running game has really struggled in recent weeks. They're averaging 148 yards per game and 4.5 YPC, but if you look at the last 6 games, they're averaging 133 yards per game and 3.9 YPC, mostly on the strength of the Seminole offense with Brad Smith. Smith has 17 carries for 133 yards over the past 6 games, a healthy 7.8 YPC. Subtract that and the main running game averages 110 yards per game and less than 3.6 YPC.

Tomlinson seems to be fading. In his first 5 games, he averaged 87 yards per game and 5.7 YPC. He was consistent as well, running for at least 60 yards and 4.7 YPC each game.

Since then, Tomlinson hasn't broken 60 yards or 3.8 YPC, averaging 51 yards on 3.4 YPC with only 2 runs of 10 yards or more.

Shonn Greene has been very inconsistent all season, with only one strong game against one of the worst run defenses in Buffalo. With Tomlinson struggling, Greene has gotten more carries over the past 3 weeks, averaging 17 carries for less than 3.5 YPC.

So if we can hold Brad Smith in the Seminole in check, we have a good chance of shutting down the run game.

Sanchez hasn't been great, but he's been solid and has matured. He made a few crazy throws against the Bengals but I wouldn't expect any 4-INT gift games like last season. The completion percentage is still awful, he still throws some lame ducks up there, but he's a much different quarterback in terms of decision-making. Last year, he threw 12 TDs vs. 20 INTs. This year, he's thrown 16 TDs vs. 8 INTs, a huge difference. His QB rating has jumped almost 20 points.

One key is Sanchez's mobility. Pressuring the QB is important, but our guys have let a lot of QBs get away to make plays, last week being a good example with Hill extending plays with his feet. Sanchez is pretty good at this so it's important to not let him escape.

He's still young and prone to mistakes, and I still think we can get a few turnovers. But he's not going to hand us the game like last season.

Keller is a concern, as TEs have been killing us all year. This is where we really miss Brandon McGowan. And Santonio Holmes has made some big plays for them as well lately. I think Arrington starts to provide a more physical presence against Edwards.

It'll be a good game. The Jets have struggled at times but so have we, and they've had this one circled for a while I'm sure.

I'm more worried about the Jets defense than their offense. I just hope we will be able to contain the short throws over the middle, as this Patriots team has shown an ability to stop the big play down-field from happening for the most part.

I'm also interested to see how Belichick plays the pass game with Revis and Cromartie (who is having a much better year than I expected). Obviously people have been saying that they should go with a lot of 2 TE sets, which I think is a given. I also think we need to set up some curls and slants in order to get welker/branch involved.

What annoyed me in week 2 was how Sanchez magically became good. He played fairly well for a quite a few games after that, so you know it wasn't just our defense, but he was garbage for all of last year and the week 1 Ravens game. Essentially, there was no film of Sanchez played at an NFL-quality level. He decided to stop sucking in time to play us. Now that there's film of him out there, I'm not worried.

AJY is a Jets fan. This is how I see the edges playing out...

QB
Slot receiver
TE
LG
RG (when healthy)
RT
NT
ILBSafety

Giving the Jets edges at...

RB
C
WR1
WR2
DE (left and right)
OLB
CB

I left LT out of it. Light is still a solid LT and Ferguson has been doing a decent job this year. I couldn't give either team a clear cut edge there, though I'm sure some of my fellow posters would be happy to disagree.

David Harris and Bart Scott are much better then anyone the Pats have at ILB

[/QUOTE]Sanchez ... He decided to stop sucking in time to play us. Now that there's film of him out there, I'm not worried.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think this will be a different game than last time. A consistency going through this season with the string of Pats wins, I think, has been coaching and game planning. Although he gave the boys 4 days off, be sure that Belichick and the coaching staff have taken no time off to begin preparation for the upcoming game. There is tons of time to study film, and I will bet that the boys will be met with a good game plan to practice when they arrive back to work in Foxboro next week. That, and getting their ass kicked in the Jets house with a chance for revange and kick some back in ours, makes me optimistic about this upcoming game.

Obviously stopping the run is critical, but as other posters have pointed out, this isn't the same dominating running game the Jets had last year. I think one the major keys for the defense this week will be keeping Sanchez in the pocket. When he starts running around and eluding defenders, he has proven to be very dangerous, and makes a lot of plays. I think they want to challenge him to sit back and go through his reads, read the defense, and challenge him to make good decisions and accurate passes with consistency. If they do this I think they have a great shot at winning the game.

I think the Patriots will probably load up to stop the run and force Sanchez to beat them. Sustaining drives, tiring out the defense, and keeping Brady off the field would be a good stategy for the Jets, IMO. So, the Patriots have to prevent that. Force Sanchez to throw and blitz alot. As said earlier, Sanchez doesn't like to throw the ball away and can tend to make bad decisions.

It'll be an interesting match-up when the Pats try to run vs. the Jets. Your small backs will give the Jets D-line problems. The Jets, however, have quick, athletic DBs and LBs, so 2nd and 3rd level blocking will be important. Can your OL get to the 2nd level? And can the backs and recievers block NY's DBs? Any insight on that scouting match-up would be appreciated. An effective day running the ball might take some of the aggressiveness out of the Jets D and/or open up some big plays downfield and help with play-action passes.

Who else wants Cunningham to break out this game? Oh boy that would be nice.

I think the Patriots will probably load up to stop the run and force Sanchez to beat them. Sustaining drives, tiring out the defense, and keeping Brady off the field would be a good stategy for the Jets, IMO. So, the Patriots have to prevent that. Force Sanchez to throw and blitz alot. As said earlier, Sanchez doesn't like to throw the ball away and can tend to make bad decisions.

It'll be an interesting match-up when the Pats try to run vs. the Jets. Your small backs will give the Jets D-line problems. The Jets, however, have quick, athletic DBs and LBs, so 2nd and 3rd level blocking will be important. Can your OL get to the 2nd level? And can the backs and recievers block NY's DBs? Any insight on that scouting match-up would be appreciated. An effective day running the ball might take some of the aggressiveness out of the Jets D and/or open up some big plays downfield and help with play-action passes.

The New England pass defense is ranked 30th in the NFL, only ranked above Houston & Washington. If Sanchez had a good day vs Houston why can't he do so vs the Patriots?

The New England pass defense is ranked 30th in the NFL, only ranked above Houston & Washington. If Sanchez had a good day vs Houston why can't he do so vs the Patriots?

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes. ;)

I'm not saying Sanchez can't have a good game throwing the ball. It's probably just a better bet to play the run than to give up time consuming drives and having the Jets run for 200 yards. Just playing averages here. Plus, the Patriots chances of winning go up astronomically the more time Brady is on the field. He'll be the best player on that field, but he can't do anything from the bench.

I'm not saying Sanchez can't have a good game throwing the ball. It's probably just a better bet to play the run than to give up time consuming drives and having the Jets run for 200 yards. Just playing averages here. Plus, the Patriots chances of winning go up astronomically the more time Brady is on the field. He'll be the best player on that field, but he can't do anything from the bench.

This post is truth.

Who else wants Cunningham to break out this game? Oh boy that would be nice.

God I hope I see one Sanchez sack. I'd love to see Cunningham plaster Sanchez into the turf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing