PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still No # 1WR

I gave you what, ten or so average QB's who won Super Bowls in recent history, surely you must have one example off the top of your head?

I certainly didn't have to do any research to remember Foles, Flacco or Dilfer.

The year Foles beat the Pats in the Super Bowl, the four QB's in the conference championship games were Nick Foles, Tom Brady, Blake Bortles and Case Keenum... an amazing array of franchise caliber QB's. The one superstar didn't win... but it makes sense somehow.

#outliers

Already covered all of this with you...including the 2017 final four...not interested in providing you with information that you'll disregard again. You can choose to be a moron...I can't help you.

The world needs idiots, too.

Brady covered up team weaknesses throughtout his career. Its widely reported that he makes everyone around him better. Yes coaching does too but Brady stood head and shoulders above all othe quarterbacks in that regard. Its not magic dust, enough with the snarky 5th grade arguing.
He certainly made everyone around him on offense better, he was a good team leader.

Beyond that, those Patriot championship teams were extraordinarily talented and it’s demeaning to numerous other players to accept the BS media narrative that they were only good because Bill is a good coach and Tom erased all mistakes or covered for a lack of talent.

Ty law is in the HOF, Seymour should be... they didn’t play better because Tom willed it to happen.

So
Already covered all of this with you...including the 2017 final four...not interested in providing you with information that you'll disregard again. You can choose to be a moron...I can't help you.

The world needs idiots, too.
So no, you can’t provide any examples... thanks for looking though.

I’m wrong, but you just can’t prove it... and I’m an idiot to boot. Name calling, the last bastion in a lost debate.

and I’m an idiot to boot.

I'm glad you got one thing right. Name calling is appropriate when the word is correct. And you are an actual idiot, which causes these discussions to collapse.

Its widely reported that he makes everyone around him better

WRs that came into the league with Patriots would probably disagree, how many times did he give death stares to rookie WRs?

Weird how Jakobi Meyers kind of flourished without Brady..

WRs that came into the league with Patriots would probably disagree, how many times did he give death stares to rookie WRs?

Jesus. Now Brady is reduced to a wide receiver killer. He makes players around him worse. Yep thats Brady's legacy. Great hot take. You've opened my eyes.

Players tend to make a huge leap from year 1 to year 2 (at least when they're a player who has "it"). Brady leaving is a non-factor there.

Jesus. Now Brady is reduced to a wide receiver killer. He makes players around him worse. Yep thats Brady's legacy. Great hot take. You've opened my eyes.

Not much different than "Belichick can't draft a WR" Ultimately it was Brady running the offense and throwing them the ball and the topic of this discussion is "Brady makes people better". So why doesn't he share some of the blame pie with Belichick for the WRs not working out?

Tom gave death stares to vets as well.

With Tom at QB rookie receivers who turned out to be anything close to decent their rookie year always caught 20 or more balls.

Branch
AH
Gronk
JE
Mitchell
Dobson
Thompkins
Jakobi

Only exception is Givens (9 in 2002) but we know how he turned out.

All the others sucked here and elsewhere.

Last edited:
No doubt, when Brees led the NFL in passing in 2016 but they had the 32nd ranked defense, Tom would have used his magic powers to make defensive stops.

FANtastic!

What??

The year Brady played 12 games?

The year Brady threw 2 interceptions?

The year Brady was second in QBR?

The year Brady had the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history?

Yeah that's FANtastic alright. Wow.

Brady & the 2020 Jakobi Meyers would've undoubtedly done more damage than Brady & the 2019 version did, because Meyers ran better routes more often last year than he did in 2019.

Meyers averaged 8.8 yards per target in 2019 and 9.0 yards per target in 2020

He had 41 targets in 2019 and 81 targets in 2020

But in 2019, the Patriots had various veterans the first half of the season…guys like Edelman, Gordon, and Brown. Second half of the season they tried to work in Sanu. In 2020 the receiving options were much thinner.

Point being, Brady did throw to Meyers quite a bit and the results weren’t bad at all. A lot of this narrative is by people with an axe to grind.

It’s very obvious Brady was frustrated that TWO all-pro players wanted to play with him…Brown and Gronkowski…and The Patriot Way precluded either from playing. In that context, Brady’s frustration is certainly understandable. And having one of those guys would have opened up the field for guys like Meyers too.

Last edited:
Meyers averaged 8.8 yards per target in 2019 and 9.0 yards per target in 2020

He had 41 targets in 2019 and 81 targets in 2020

But in 2019, the Patriots had various veterans the first half of the season…guys like Edelman, Gordon, and Brown. Second half of the season they tried to work in Sanu. In 2020 the receiving options were much thinner.

Point being, Brady did throw to Meyers quite a bit and the results weren’t bad at all. A lot of this narrative is by people with an axe to grind.

It’s very obvious Brady was frustrated that TWO all-pro players wanted to play with him…Brown and Gronkowski…and The Patriot Way precluded either from playing. In that context, Brady’s frustration is certainly understandable. And having one of those guys would have opened up the field for guys like Meyers too.
"The Patriot Way" precluded Gronkowski from playing?

No, Gronkowski prevented Gronkowski from playing, and also likely cost Brady Jared Cook in the process.

Meyers made the 2nd year jump. Had nothing to do with Brady not being here. Gunner did the same on Special Teams. He's my dark horse to get snaps on offense.

People forget that Meyers was a rookie in 2019 and was treated like one by the team in terms of his progression. Meyers was the 4th/5th WR behind Edelman, Dorsett, Gordon/Brown, and then Harry when Harry returned from Injury. The team also had White and Burkhead that they used extensively in the passing game, pushing Harry and Meyers even farther down for snaps.

Flourished? I don't think flourished is the right word here. He had a nice year 2 hear. In today's NFL even on a bad offense some receiver(s) will catch 50-60 passes. I don't recall Meyers ever being double teamed. I doubt any opposing team designed coverages to take away Meyers as a threat. He had 0, yes zero, TDs last year or in his rookie year. That's not exactly flourishing.

No, Gronkowski prevented Gronkowski from playing, and also likely cost Brady Jared Cook in the process.
Given that Gronk is playing with Tom down in Tampa, and given that Gronk is not the Patriots' GM, your claim is obviously incorrect.

Last edited:
"The Patriot Way" precluded Gronkowski from playing?

Gronk failed to make the Patriots best offer to Jared Cook during free agency and botched the signing?

Gronk failed to make the Patriots best offer to Jared Cook during free agency and botched the signing?
Gronk announced his retirement a couple of days AFTER Cook, and pretty much any other quality TE, had already signed in FA. Maybe the Pats knew; more likely they weren't sure.

So why would they make a bid on Cook with Gronk on their roster?

Gronk announced his retirement a couple of days AFTER Cook, and pretty much any other quality TE, had already signed in FA. Maybe the Pats knew; more likely they weren't sure.

So why would they make a bid on Cook with Gronk on their roster?

I don't know...maybe you should ask the Patriots or ask Cook. But regardless, your statement that Gronk was the reason they didn't sign Cook is wrong.

Younare showing your bias or your ignorance, or maybe both. Gronk strung them along that off-season, refusing to give them an answer about whether he was planning play in ‘19, even though in retrospect we know that he was mentally done after going through those two procedures to drain blood from his thigh withweeks of the Super Bowl.

Rosenhaus couldn’t get an answer from him, until he finally said something to the effect “come on, Rob,they need an answer”. Rosenhaus admitted that he was shocked when Gronk then announced his retirement. Not only would they not have needed Cook if he had played in 2019 but they did not have the salary cap space to sign cooked to a competitive offer, until Gronk’s cap space was off their books.

In the end they did make a very competitive offer to Cook, but he had already verbally committed to the Saints by that time, bc Gronk intentionally (in my opinion) delayed his announcement to screw over Belichick. Cook admitted that he was not going to sign with the patriots with Gronk still on the roster because he wanted a leading role in the offense of his new team.

Before you give a snarky response in the future, maybe you should first know what you’re talking about.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back