PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Stidham traded to Raiders

Come on BB send Harry to AZ or BAL

He clearly isn't in the top 6 WR in camp, so has little chance of making the team. Why does it matter what they do with him, or when?

I’m legit confused about what went wrong with Winovich. Had high hopes for him.
Can’t set the edge and never bothered to learn because he was satisfied with being a one trick pony?

You have to earn your starts. Dude couldn't play, you don't just gives guys the rock just because. Cam obviously won practice. So ge gets the game

This is the key point in that decision I think. There were two (potential) benefits from starting Stidham in that last game: Experience for Stidham, and better evaluation of Stidham for the coaching staff. You could also say that he gave them a better chance at a higher draft pick, but I don't think the coaching staff really cares about that, and we ended up getting Mac Jones where we picked anyway (and traded up in the 2nd to grab Barmore), so the benefit would likely have been negligible. Maybe we give up a slightly worse pick to move up in the 2nd, but again, negligible.

Clearly the coaching staff valued maintaining the system that rewards players that prepare and practice the way they want them to, more than the potential benefits above.

Can’t set the edge and never bothered to learn because he was satisfied with being a one trick pony?
There were some really helpful explanations along those lines in response to my question . Can’t stop the run etc

OK.
Not a big difference btwn cut and trade, or even timing on those, according to OTC.

I'm not sure of the exact difference, but why wouldn't you bring Harry in as a camp body, since he's on the payroll with guaranteed money, if there are some savings in a trade?

Another horrible use of draft capital.

However, Stidham is a big winner in this getting paid to live in Vegas. Enjoy it while it lasts.

And I remember a time when this board was so delusional thinking this guy was going to be the starter for 2020. Good times.
Thank God Newton showed up just in time to save us from that, whew!:rofl:

This is the key point in that decision I think. There were two (potential) benefits from starting Stidham in that last game: Experience for Stidham, and better evaluation of Stidham for the coaching staff. You could also say that he gave them a better chance at a higher draft pick, but I don't think the coaching staff really cares about that, and we ended up getting Mac Jones where we picked anyway (and traded up in the 2nd to grab Barmore), so the benefit would likely have been negligible. Maybe we give up a slightly worse pick to move up in the 2nd, but again, negligible.

Clearly the coaching staff valued maintaining the system that rewards players that prepare and practice the way they want them to, more than the potential benefits above.
Which is why the Pats have been so successful over the years. The system above all else. I was calling for Stidham at the time too, but I realized these guys are paid millions of dollars to coach football teams and I'm not. They probably know something I dont.

???
Stidham has replaced the #3 QB

And yes, it is preferred to have a #3 that you know and who knows what you want.

This is a fine trade for both teams.
He cant play.

Stidham is a backup QB who may never win a game. Its like having insurance with a company that is phony.

Raiders got the better of this deal. IMO Stidham remains an unknown quantity
Unknown? He's been part of the NE program for three years.

and Josh obviously sees something in him to make this effort.
Sees something better than his 3rd QB with zero time in his system, plus moving down from 6th to 7th in next year's draft.

And I remember a time when this board was so delusional thinking this guy was going to be the starter for 2020. Good times.
That narrative was a favorite of the Boston Sports Mediots.

They are the ones who put him on that throne and blew smoke up his rump.

I don't recall a single one of them asking "what if he sucks?".

Remaining dead weight on our roster:

1.) wr -harry
2.) te - keane
3.) te - assyassy
4.) wr- agular
5.) ot/og Durant
6.) s - bryant
7.) cb - slowjuan

1.) wr -harry
2.) te - keane
3.) te - assyassy
4.) wr- agular
5.) ot/og Durant
6.) s - bryant
7.) cb - slowjuan
Not sure on Keane, been injured to much. Disagree on Agular. We will see on Assyass(spelling) Not sure on Bryant.

1.) wr -harry
2.) te - keane
3.) te - assyassy
4.) wr- agular
5.) ot/og Durant
6.) s - bryant
7.) cb - slowjuan

Agree with Harry, SloJuan & Ya,sir c'mon in Durant... TBD: Keane, Assyassy, Agholor & Bryant...

You forgot:

Billy (should've been Trey Smith) my boy Sherman;

Dee Notso Wise;

Lanky Hank Anderson;

Godsmack;

Carl's Junior Davis;

Little Lord Byron the Coward;

The Comedian;

JaWrong Bentley;

Tavai & Langi;

Jalen Zero INTs Mills;

Joshua don't call him Drew Bedsore;

and the heaviest dead weight of them all: Thanksdad Ferentz.

So 4 QB's, one a rookie who has started 11 games, in the entire league. You've made my point.

Cassel started 81 NFL games, equivalent to 5 NFL seasons, and made one Pro Bowl.
Brissett has started 31 games, and Hoyer 39.
Jimmy G was the last player taken in the second round., so it's splitting hairs.

It's incredible drafting/development despite any spin.
Cassel, Garoppolo, Brissett and Hoyer does not constitute "incredible" quarterback drafting and development. Obviously not.

Cassel, Garoppolo, Brissett and Hoyer does not constitute "incredible" quarterback drafting and development. Obviously not.
Don't know about the word "incredible" but Cassel went from a guy with no starting experience on the verge of being cut after preseason to a serviceable starter in this league. That's good QB development IMO.

Brissett and Hoyer are not NFL caliber starting QBs so meh.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back