PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stevenson reaches 20 MPH vs. Football Team

Stevenson’s game speed is not 4.64. Reaching 20+ MPH at his weight is basically limited to Derrick Henry & Leonard Fournette.
Really excited about Stevenson, but #32 Johnson coming from the opposite side of the field should've gotten him easily - he slowed up when he thought #46 Cole was going to get him (but Cole took a horrible angle). Johnson gave up on the play then started to reaccelerate too late.

Forty measures stop to go, measuring “top speed” measures full gallup. What all these players seemingly have in common is open field in front of them and hell nipping at their heels.
You beat me to it. As a lot of people know, 100m sprinters don't really reach top speed until 65-75yds. Taller guys usually take longer to accelerate.

That's why we have Daniel Jones's (6lbs lighter than Rham's listed weight but 5" taller) top speed (4.81 40 / 4.67 unofficial pro day) at 21.23mph on an 80yd run (the one where he fell) or McCourty's top speed at 22.05mph on an 84yd INT return. To be frank, I'm more impressed with Cam reaching 19.2mph during the first Dolphins game last year even though his longest rush was 12yds.

Maybe only of interest to me (a track guy):
MPH - flying 100m - multiply by 1.14 to get a really rough and very optimistic estimate of 100m time (not for Cam's as it's a short run)
19.2 - 11.65 (Cam)
22.05 - 10.14 (McCourty)
20.37 - 10.98 (Rham)
23.24 - 9.63 (Tyreek)

Supposedly Ruggs ran 24.3 (9.2) in college.

Yeah. Damien Lewis Harris.

The actor from Homeland, Band of Brothers and Billions? I love that guy!

5k0pn2.gif

Succession’s first two seasons are as good as any show all-time.
Yep. It’s between that and Better Call Saul for the best show on television right now.

Yep. It’s between that and Better Call Saul for the best show on television right now.

Agree.

BCS S6 is going to be beyond epic. While I always get burned by the hype of finales, I’ve never been let down by Vince Gilligan…not even on a season finale.

Succession should be awesome too…there’s been two seasons of dipping feet in the water. I expect things will get more intense with war lines drawn. Interesting to see how serious it gets or if it will always pull back to comic relief.

Billions was a cool show, but I bailed on it around S3/S4. They really milked Damian Lewis and Paul Giamatti as much as possible, but those two became repetitive since they carried every plot. None of the big support characters like Taylor, Malkovich’s character, etc. were able to keep up the level of quality and interest…they were more gimmicky.

Note that Agholor had the 7th fastest run in the NFL in the 2020 season - only a shade behind Tyreek Hill. But Mostert is way out front in this race. (Incidentally Fournette's peak was around 22)

View attachment 34765

I died a little inside seeing DK Metcalf on that list...

Just a quick couple since, of course, there's no absolutism in either end of the spectrum of player selection criteria (I'm going to bet "measurables don't matter" has also never been uttered as a statement of fact here unless sarcastically).

There's no way the capt nor jbean are saying "keep Hall and Nixon simply because of their speed", but it could be inferred without context.

I can't speak for Mr Bean, but I would indeed like to keep somebody with speed at WR, that's for sure.

And the way things are going in preseason so far, 6 RBs might actually happen here... 2 QBs, 3 TEs, 5 WRs, 6 RBs & 8 OLmen...

Last edited:
These times are misleading. Anytime a runner has a clear straight path to the end zone they can go very fast. To put it another way, Stevenson didn't get to the endzone on a huge straight run because he ran really fast. He ran really fast because he had a huge straight run to the endzone. Not to take anything away from him. A guy his size moving at that speed is damn impressive regardless.

Forty measures stop to go, measuring “top speed” measures full gallup. What all these players seemingly have in common is open field in front of them and hell nipping at their heels.

Stevenson ran a 4.6 forty at a pro day, perhaps he could bump that up to 4.5 range… decent speed, but not Derrick Henry 4.4 speed. Fournette is about the same speed as Stevenson having run a 4.5, Lev Bell only ran a 4.6 so obviously forty isn’t everything at RB. Stevenson has great feet and change of direction for his size, his agility drills were great.

I love these “measurables don’t matter” takes. A measurable doesn’t make a football player… but Tyreek Hill, Deion Sanders, Randy Moss and Barry Sanders burn you because they can run that 4.2 forty. If it can be harnessed speed kills.

RB position speed in the first 10 yards is a key metric and correlated with being a good RB. 40 yard dash means much less.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back