PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephon Gilmore Named AFC Defensive Player of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet PFF doesn't even have him as the best corner on the team. Once again reminding us...

uxmpd.jpg

McCourty in September, Gilmore in October, which Patriot is the defensive player of the month in November?

Already a top 3 CB in Patriots history.

The real DPOY, just like Revis and Sherman or Thomas should have been. But it will go to some pass rusher who gets 17 sacks, though about 20 teams have a pass rusher who gets 12+ sacks, and their impact is minimal.

I think he has been playing better than Law did, considering he plays in the new NFL where you cant do anything to the receiver and the NFL has gone out of its way to create more offense.

The real DPOY, just like Revis and Sherman or Thomas should have been. But it will go to some pass rusher who gets 17 sacks, though about 20 teams have a pass rusher who gets 12+ sacks, and their impact is minimal.
Man. If Collins can break a 10-12 sack mark, have 90-100 tackles AND 4-5 INT’s?

That’s rarified air. You don’t see those stats altogether very often.

But they haven’t played anybody! Because holding even bad teams to 7 points a game is eazy

I think he has been playing better than Law did, considering he plays in the new NFL where you cant do anything to the receiver and the NFL has gone out of its way to create more offense.
That is a very good point.

And yet PFF doesn't even have him as the best corner on the team. Once again reminding us...

uxmpd.jpg

i dont think you understand what PFF does. they have a statistical analysis which computes a rating based on plays in a game. the fact that Gilmore isnt the highest rated does not mean they dont think gilmore is better.

i dont think you understand what PFF does. they have a statistical analysis which computes a rating based on plays in a game. the fact that Gilmore isnt the highest rated does not mean they dont think gilmore is better.

I understand exactly what PFF purports to do, lol

Man. If Collins can break a 10-12 sack mark, have 90-100 tackles AND 4-5 INT’s?

That’s rarified air. You don’t see those stats altogether very often.

Gilmore is still way more important to the defense. Collins could have that type of year and Belichick wouldn't offer him anything close to $14M. The two highest paid non-QBs under Belichick have been Revis and Gilmore, by a pretty big margin.

Cornerbacks are penalized in ranking players because their job is to create nothingness (non-statistics, as in preventing completions and yardage.) Pass rushers create stats/numbers with plays that are registered in the box score.

Gilmore has a shot at DPOY if he shuts down opponents when everyone is watching. Nobody has seperated himself in the DPOY race so far. Down years for Aaron Donald Mack help

With the fact that offensive linemen performances declining across the league and the fact that DB play has been neutered to promote passing, I don't think a DB will ever win DPOY. Look at the past DPOY winners since Polamalu won in 2010: Terrell Suggs, JJ Watt x3, Luke Kuechly, Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald x2, Kuechly is the only non-pass rusher on there.

This is also why I think what Gilmore has done in the past two years is extremely impressive. Gilmore is destroying WRs in this era of the NFL where passing and pass rush are king.

It means their metrics suggest Gilmore isn't playing the best of the CBs on the team, and it is fair to question models that consistently spit out results that don't correspond with reality. Especially when we know how subjective some of the statistics that factor into these ratings are; the only difference between a pass break up and a drop is judgement, for instance.

It also doesn't help that other sites like Football Outsiders have been doing the same thing as PFF except way better for well over a decade. I genuinely believe PFF only has the traction it has because of contractual agreements with big media.

But what about Patriot Of The Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back