PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephon Gilmore is deservedly winning DPOY (updated odds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So sorry to some very vocal, tunnel vision, "what have you done for me lately?" supposed Patriots fans. Luckily the media - yes, the media - is more level headed than you. I can't believe the level of hate Gilmore got for his disappointing week 17 performance...and how easily he was discarded as a guy who doesn't try hard, is overconfident, doesn't care, etc. The guy in 2019 has put together the greatest defensive performance by a Patriots player in team history. To even question his effort and heart is a joke. To say he wasn't phenomenal because of one game is idiotic; all it showed in week 17 is just how vulnerable any player is any time he's put on an island like that. Even prime Revis had games where he couldn't cover the other team's stud...the difference is the Pats kept him him on Parker the whole game.

None of the other DPYO candidates did anything week 17 and a lot of voters probably cast their ballots anyway. Regardless, Gilmore was still the best defensive player in the NFL. Updated odds published below, as Gilmore went from fairly big favorite to virtual lock for the award, despite his disappointing finish. Clearly voters were just looking to see if anyone else would emerge with an impossible case to dismiss, and they didn't. Reminder that Brady sputtered down the stretch in 2017 and still won MVP; voters try to avoid recency bias.

Bettings Odds & Lines at BetOnline.ag Sportbook

41029 Stephon Gilmore -400
41032 Shaquil Barrett +800
41018 TJ Watt +800
41007 Chandler Jones +900
41000 Aaron Donald +1000

*Odds taken December 31; Follow the link in the table for more DPOY betting options

I mean this is an award for 17 weeks and not about who finishes the strongest. I am sure if you go week by week you will find similarly weak performances by any of the candidates. Not sure why anyone would assume one bad game would affect Gilmore's odds much.

Those are the finalists/favorites? Gilmore being the only one even ON a playoff team I guess I can throw out week 17 as a bad game for a guy who had a phenomenal season as the best player on the league's stingiest scoring defense. Piling up sacks on teams/defenses that are mediocre shouldn't trump that - the Cards and Bucs both gave up over 440 points!! Donald was not as dominant as prior years. Watt would certainly be worthy but I think Sunday aside it still ought be Gilmore.

I was not happy with his game the other day but glad he recognized it and owned it. I think he will be lights out against Brown.

Gilmore had a great season but he got a little to chatty in the last month or so. As far as the last game went, it was pretty clear early on that Gilmore wasn’t doing well with his match up. BB didn’t adapt which was surprising. Gilmore should have been put on the 2nd receiver and Parker should have been double teamed. Poor job of coaching.

Stephon Gilmore deserves DPOY as much as David Gilmour does.

Can’t tell if you’re serious or not. Gilmore and Tre’Davious White might be the two most important non-QBs in the postseason. Gilmore’s season was as valuable as any DPOY this decade and only Revis made the same impact. One day analytics will prove how much more important he is to a defense than a sack artist.

Every dog has his day. Gilly has been awesome for us. Hope he gets it.

Hello? Hello? Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone at home?

Can’t tell if you’re serious or not. Gilmore and Tre’Davious White might be the two most important non-QBs in the postseason. Gilmore’s season was as valuable as any DPOY this decade and only Revis made the same impact. One day analytics will prove how much more important he is to a defense than a sack artist.
Again, for everyone impressed by 20 sacks, the Bucs and Cards gave up LITERALLY 2X as many points as NE - 225 vs 442 and 449. Not a little more. Those are BAD defensive teams. It’d be like giving Jamies Winston MVP. Sacks as an individual stat are as meaningless as they come. NE had more team sacks than both despite the individual feats.

Again, for everyone impressed by 20 sacks, the Bucs and Cards gave up LITERALLY 2X as many points as NE - 225 vs 442 and 449. Not a little more. Those are BAD defensive teams. It’d be like giving Jamies Winston MVP. Sacks as an individual stat are as meaningless as they come. NE had more team sacks than both despite the individual feats.

There’s also the issue that there’s usually a dozen players who get over 10 sacks and getting over 15 doesn’t even lead the league many years, so it’s not like it’s unique to pile up a lot of sacks. A sack is one play that may kill a drive...the best pass rushers do this, at best, once a game. Sure, they often get some pressures too, but it isn’t the same type of impact as true shutdown corner who completely changes the offense’s options on every play.

I’m not saying that front seven guys can’t be incredibly valuable, but it would be someone like Donald who is ridiculous against the run and pass (and draws doubles), prime Watt who could lineup anywhere and disrupt play after play, A Seymour or Wilfork type of guy who draw multiple defenders, clog space, stop the run, and get pressure, limit almost every play, etc. And even linebackers can be really valuable...Bobby Wagner, Luke Kuechly types, or even Van Noy and Hightower are really valuable players who are always underrated due to lower sack numbers.

Some guy coming off the edge every play like Jones is kind of a joke for DPOY. Brady (before this year) used to love going against defenses with one trick ponies like this, since they can also be badly exploited for over aggressiveness. Don’t think Pats ever got an advantage against an elite defensive back (especially CB but sometimes safeties too) like Revis, Ed Reed, Sherman/Thomas in Seattle, Talib/Harris in Denver, etc. T. White on Buffalo is a large reason they’ve struggled to score on them the last six games.

Just look at the best coach/GM in football history values the positions and follow the money. Revis got like $16M for one season; Gilmore was the largest signing in team history. They offered Talib a massive amount of money but Denver had better guarantees. Pats never pay for Chandler Jones types...sounded like they weren’t even trying with Trey Flowers, since he was so expensive but not that unique or indispensable. The closest they came to a big deal was with Adalious Thomas, and that’s because he excelled in many areas beyond just running down the QB, or he was supposed to anyway; in actuality he was a terrible signing, perhaps the worst big money deal they’ve done.

Last edited:
Oof, Bills fans are about to have aneurysms. They are the saltiest bunch when it comes to Gilmore.

I'm not claiming that a Sack Artist should win it either; I don't even know who else is nominated, nor do I know their qualifications statistics-wise...All I know is that his "effort"(snicker) on Sunday should have AUTOMATICALLY disqualified Gilmore from winning DPOY.

So sorry to some very vocal, tunnel vision, "what have you done for me lately?" supposed Patriots fans. Luckily the media - yes, the media - is more level headed than you. I can't believe the level of hate Gilmore got for his disappointing week 17 performance...and how easily he was discarded as a guy who doesn't try hard, is overconfident, doesn't care, etc. The guy in 2019 has put together the greatest defensive performance by a Patriots player in team history. To even question his effort and heart is a joke. To say he wasn't phenomenal because of one game is idiotic; all it showed in week 17 is just how vulnerable any player is any time he's put on an island like that. Even prime Revis had games where he couldn't cover the other team's stud...the difference is the Pats kept him him on Parker the whole game.

None of the other DPYO candidates did anything week 17 and a lot of voters probably cast their ballots anyway. Regardless, Gilmore was still the best defensive player in the NFL. Updated odds published below, as Gilmore went from fairly big favorite to virtual lock for the award, despite his disappointing finish. Clearly voters were just looking to see if anyone else would emerge with an impossible case to dismiss, and they didn't. Reminder that Brady sputtered down the stretch in 2017 and still won MVP; voters try to avoid recency bias.

Bettings Odds & Lines at BetOnline.ag Sportbook

41029 Stephon Gilmore -400
41032 Shaquil Barrett +800
41018 TJ Watt +800
41007 Chandler Jones +900
41000 Aaron Donald +1000

*Odds taken December 31; Follow the link in the table for more DPOY betting options

Who the f$ck cares about who wins this award?

Who the f$ck cares about who wins this award?

I f$cking do. If Seymour, Harrison, or Wilfork won a DPOY they are all sure fire hall of fame with the rest of their resumes. Likely that only Seymour makes it without that honor.

Thread title is not aging well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye