PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers extend Tomlin through 2024

I shall cite this when practicing gratitude later today!

I know he’s often disparaged on this forum but wins are wins.

Best Win Percentage for all HCs All-Time (Minimum 100 games as HC)

1. John Madden 0.759
2. Vince Lombardi 0.738
3. George Allen 0.712
4. Blanton Collier 0.692
5. George Halas 0.682
6. Don Shula 0.677
7. Bill Belichick 0.673 * Currently Active
8. Paul Brown 0.672
9. Tony Dungy 0.668
10. Mike Tomlin 0.650 * Currently Active
11. George Seifert 0.648

Tomlin is Top 10 All-Time and No. 2 amongst active HCs

The fact that Blanton Collier ranks number four on that list, above coaches like George Halas and Paul Brown, is all the evidence necessary to show how meaningless that ranking is.

May as well look at the career playoff passing yardage leader board and surmise that Cam Newton is better than either Bart Starr or Johnny Unitas.

I've always been hard on Tomlin but think he's a lot better than I ever gave him credit for. I've come around on him a lot. He's flawed for sure but has a lot of good qualities as well.

Think about how many head cases have been through and on that team. Ben, Bell, Bryant, AB ... Ben's injuries and not having a losing season I believe. Again he's not top tier but better than I ever have him credit for.

The fact that Blanton Collier ranks number four on that list, above coaches like George Halas and Paul Brown, is all the evidence necessary to show how meaningless that ranking is.

May as well look at the career playoff passing yardage leader board and surmise that Cam Newton is better than either Bart Starr or Johnny Unitas.

What's wrong with Blanton Collier? He was HC for 8 seasons and got to the Championship Game 4 times (50% of time). He won once with a brilliant game plan to beat the vaunted Balt Colts. And while he had Jim Brown for 3 of his seasons, he continued to do well after Jim Brown retired.

What's your issue with Blanton Collier? His win %age is reflective of his success.

The only thing you can say is that his 112 game career as HC is too short. And I used a 100 game cutoff. 100 seemed ok to me. Vince Lombardi only coached 136 games, and John Madden 145 games. I suppose if I used a 125 game cuttoff, Blanton would drop off this list. But a 100 game cutoff is as arbitrary as 125 game. Blanton had a decent career, won a Championship, got to 4 Championships.

And yes George Halas won 6 Championships over his 450 game HC career, and Paul Brown won 7 Championships. Noone is saying Blanton is better than them for post-season or for winning Championships. For that I suppose you should calculate Championships per season coached, which for Blanton would be 12.5%. On that Shula with his 2 Championships over 33 seasons would look pretty crap.

Anyway, these stats were about winning %age. Winning %age gets you to the postseason. After that a whole bunch of other statistics can take over. I agree that post-season stats are more important, but I don't think that makes regular season stats irrelevant. After all you have to perform to get to the post-season!

My comment on Collier was more harsh than it should have been. I just never considered Collier to be a top-ten of all-time head coach, nor have I ever previously come across anybody else that felt that way.

We agree on Don Shula being highly overrated. Perhaps he should have been a better example for me to use; the two championships in 33 attempts that you pointed out is fairly damning evidence against him.

I'm not sure what you are getting at in the final paragraph. A head coach is important in the regular season, but not in the playoffs?

Tomlin in my opinion has greatly benefited from being in an organization that prides itself on the longevity of its head coaches like it is a badge of honor. Their patience gives the HC confidence to get through a down year or two and not panic by feeling as though he is on the hot seat, needing to take chances and do it all right now. (By comparison look for example at Marty Schottenheimer, once fired after going 7-9 following a 13-3 season, and later fired after going 14-2. Under similar ownership Tomlin would have been fired at least twice: 2013 and 2019.) Tomlin also benefits from one of the better college scouting departments in pro football.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back